how'd yah do in your rookie year of fantasy football??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

how'd yah do in your rookie year of fantasy football???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:38 am

This is my first year. After the draft, I thought I had a very solid team, but pretty much all of my guys have ended up under-performing. I drafted Gannon, Horn, Booker, Morgan, the list goes on... Fortunately, I've made some good waiver wire pickups such as Bulger and Plummer and I swung a nice trade of Horn and Bryson (last week, hehe) for Owens. As it stands, I think I have one of the 3 best teams in the league, but I've had a bunch of bad luck and have dropped to 1-4. Every week I play one of the top scorers in the league and all of their players have career days. I've also lost two very close games. I think I can still make the playoffs, though, and if my team gets hot at the right time, I can win it all. Here's my roster (10-team league):

TE: Shockey
DT: Buffalo, New England
PK: Janikowski

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:39 am

Oops, Guest is me.

Postby FF Newbie » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:40 am

Well, shoot.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wizbang » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:50 am

For the record I entered a competitive and mature 12 team league.

My first year was brutal. First, I took over a pathetic team in a keeper league. Then my 2 starting RBs went down with injury after Week 3. To fill their starting spots I picked up their backups and dropped Priest Holmes THE week before he took off and never looked back (thus not allowing me access to him on the waiver wire).

My advice to newbies is to be patient with your draft day selections. Don't jump on every one week wonder and gut your roster in the process. I now save 1-2 roster spots for 'in-season' surprises and will not vary from my plan unless it is obvious that a player will not make an impact. It has paid off.... finally. ;-D
wizbang

Postby sundawg_58 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:06 pm

2 of my leagues are public league with dead owners. The other two, that I got off this forum are private and competitive. Sure, there no money involved, but its still taken seriously. Problem with money pools for me is finding a good one. Usually that means finding ppl locally. Unfortunately, I don't know that many fantsy freaks like me that live near me.
sundawg_58
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Poobah » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:27 pm

My first year was 1995, no internet, total points league (first and last time I'll do that) with no playoffs. Mixture of rookies and young veterans. I finished middle of the pack. But I carried two things away...

1) Gotta love them RB. Dunno if you remember Chris Warren, but he led the AFC in rushing that year. And Emmitt Smith and his 25 TD. And I had them both...

2) Gotta keep up. I was in college, not as concerned with the thing. At first. Then, after not watching a Sunday night game or reading the paper to get the results, I cut Tony Martin as he was having a 15-catch performance. Do your homework....

So I started my own league in '97 and didn't look back. I don't run it anymore, but I'm like the village elder B-)
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby Go Packs! » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:51 pm

This is my first year. I made a huge mistake and I had first Pick. I picked Kurt Warner. OUCH... But since then I'm 4 and 1 and not bad. No one is laughing at me now.
Go Packs!

Postby dsteele66 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:22 pm

I was a rook 2 years ago in a mature league -- and won (beginners luck?). Drafted 2nd and picked Faulk (#1 guy took Edge who immediately went down).

I had a bunch of different QB's, Faulk, Tiki Barber, Hines Ward and a the rest I don't remember. What sticks in my mind is rotaing QB's -- had Trent Green (with a couple of monster games in the beginning of the year), then Charlie Batch of all people (had a monster game in middle of the year) and ended the year with Kordell (who both Pittsburgh and I rode into the playoffs -- his pro-bowl year).

Last year I also won (drafted 10 in a 10 player league). Picked up Manning #1, Harrison #2 then lucked out with 2 sleepers as #3/#4 -- Deuce and Travis Henry. I finished second in points but won our playoffs when Priest went down at the end of last year.

This year I'm mired in 6th place (which stuns me when I look at my roster) -- anything can happen in a H2H league (I am leading both the points for and points against categories). Gotta stay patient....
QB: A. Brooks; P. Ramsey
RB: C. Portis; T. Henry; M. Williams; L. Gordon
WR: J. Horn; L. Coles; K. Robinson; C. Rogers
TE: A. Crumpler; D. Clark
K: S. Janikowski; O. Mare
Def: Panthers; Falcons
----
Start: QB, RBx2, WRx2, TE, K, Def
dsteele66
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Clockerq » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:42 pm

hey sundawg
i live in Florida and am in a league that a friend of mine in Rhode Island (thats where i lived until 2 years ago) got me in with his brother and his friends in california. we also have a player in it from Tennessee. It doesn't have to be with locals,,,i'm starting a $200 buy in league next year. if you are interested send me your e-mail address and i'll send you an invitation with all the particulars next august. it doesn't matter where people live,,the important thing is THAT THE CHECK CLEARS!!
Clockerq
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:47 pm

I won the championship in my competitive league my rookie year. Can't say I had any idea what I was doing though, I just got lucky...

Like I said, I didn't really know what was going on (didn't realize value of RB's), and I took Peyton Manning with the #1 overall pick.

Luckily, after week 2, I traded Marvin Harrison and Ricky Watters for Marshall Faulk. That was Faulk's breakout year, he got 3-4 TD's in just about every game towards the end of the year (fantasy playoff time), so I rode him all the way to the championship.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk