Dillon still the starter? Or is it Maroney? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dillon still the starter? Or is it Maroney?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dillon still the starter? Or is it Maroney?

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:37 pm

I think this is the right forum for this. Hopefully.

Dillon has just been dropped in one of my leagues so I'm curious. I already know he splits carries with Maroney but is he the starter or does that not matter since their splits are pretty even?

In week 3, Dillon got 5 carries and Maroney got 12. Week 4, Dillon got 17 and Maroney got 15. Week 5, Dillon got 10 and Maroney 18.

I guess I'm asking Patriots fans or Dillon owners if they know the skinny of how the splits are being decided. Is Dillon being phased out? Is he still considered a starter? How useful will Dillon be by the end of the season?
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Moses » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:53 pm

Dillon is the short-yardage and goal-line, hard-nosed type of back. It's a RBBC, but Dillon will still get his share of TDs and some decent yardage. I would grab him and use him in weeks they play soft run defense.
Moses
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Kilroy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:20 am

Dillon's d****d sure worth picking up.

There are no "rules" to the RBBC in Beantown. I think it's more of a "hot hand" "momentum" type of deal. Regardless, Dillon is absolutely worth a spot.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Dr Awesome! » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:54 am

He shouldn't be dropped.

I do have a couple teams where I wouldn't drop any of my players to get him, but he should be on someone's roster.
Dr Awesome!
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:26 am

yea its more of a hot handed, who has the momentum or breaking the tackles for the big gains, but they both get goal line carries and short yardage though
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Johnny U » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:04 pm

I'm in a league where we start two running backs and a flex. I have both Dillon and Maroney and usually start both of them (along with Rudi). With the exception of the Cincinnati game, where Maroney ran all over the Bengals, the carries seem to be pretty evenly divided. Starting both of them, as you might expect, has been hit and miss. Two weeks ago, it was a big miss. The week they stomped the Bengals, home run.

I would like to trade Dillon for a comparable back to avoid the inconsistency that comes with starting two backs from the same team, but so far no luck. The Pats' RBBC makes things tough when you're in a flex league. I have three good receivers (Boldin, TO and Reggie Brown) and would like to start all three this week, but then I'd have to bench either Dillon or Maroney. But which one?
Johnny U
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:48 pm

I can't imagine dropping Dillon. He has 280 yards and 2 TD's. Not outstanding, but definately worth a roster spot.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby zevon » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:51 am

I have both along with LDT on one team, and I have no clue who to start today - actually I decided on Maroney, but can't say I'm better than 50-50 on it.
Dillon has been starting with frequent relief from LM, if Corey gets 10 carries in the first half he can tend to be a fourth quarter monster, plowing over an through tired D's.
Can't leave him on the WW...
zevon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tecmobowl12 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:51 pm

Thanks to my girlfriend for picking Dillon to start in my second RB slot. She had no idea who either Corey Dillon or Chester Taylor are, and I think she picked Dillon because he has a cooler name. In any event I am pumped
tecmobowl12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby JakeTrain72 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 am

zevon wrote:Dillon has been starting with frequent relief from LM, if Corey gets 10 carries...

Can we or have we annoited Maroney to monogram status?

As far as the post goes...Dillon should continue to start and run hard when he is in there. Maroney will spell him as needed and continue to produce fairly well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dillon taking less carries after week 10 though. before going into the Bye Maroney was getting the slight edge in carries. Dillon had a week to rest but after a couple more weeks and the weather getting colder his body and knees are going to be sore again and Maroney will spell him a little more getting him back to the 16-18 carry mark.

I wouldn't call Dillon the goaline back in this offense because he isn't used in that role specifically. Dillon gets carries between the 20s as well, but his style of running is great around the goalline and they have little reason to take him out when they get down there. Maroney has been given carries in the redzone as well, but he usually gets one shot and if unsuccessful, Brady throws as needed whereas Dillon might get 2 or three carries in a row to punch it in (most times he doesn't need more than 1 carry to get it in). I think it is just the confidence they have that Dillon will get in and Maroney hasn't had the time to build that kind of trust. To the Pats, Dillon and Brady are their two best and most trusted options at the goaline so they will use them more than Maroney.
JakeTrain72
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk