McGahee is activated... Now what? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McGahee is activated... Now what?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dsteele66 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:10 pm

As a Henry owner, McGahee doesn't worry me at all. He's only been cleared by outside docs (and his agent) -- they're trying to get the Bills to let him start practicing.

Even if Henry gets hurt again, I'd hand the ball to Burns (for this year). McGahee hasn't taken a hit since college and hasn't practiced. It's going to take him a loooonngggg time to get up to NFL speed. Burns has been there all year, presumably knows and is comfortable with the offense and his teammates.

McGahee only gets carries at the end of the year in games that are over (or if everyone else goes down). At that point, there'd have to be someone better out there to pick up...
QB: A. Brooks; P. Ramsey
RB: C. Portis; T. Henry; M. Williams; L. Gordon
WR: J. Horn; L. Coles; K. Robinson; C. Rogers
TE: A. Crumpler; D. Clark
K: S. Janikowski; O. Mare
Def: Panthers; Falcons
----
Start: QB, RBx2, WRx2, TE, K, Def
dsteele66
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 20 Sided Die » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:08 pm

I just don't see how McGahee can contribute in any positive way this season. Seasoned NFL professionals struggle big time when they first come back with the kind of knee injury McGahee had (see Edge, Jamal Anderson). He just has too much to overcome and adjust to this year.
No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you. -- Homer J. Simpson
20 Sided Die
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mtarail » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:35 pm

I'll take the other side of this, for the mere fact that I just picked up McGahee and am hoping that he comes through.

1st of all, Burns, and any other backup RB that the Bill have trotted onto the field have been bad. No--really bad. 2nd, Henry is screwing around with an injury that you just have a feeling is as much mental as physical, 3rd, Henry hasn't played well all year. Sure, he's solid fantasy-wise because he gets the TD's but look at stats the way coaches do. They fed him the ball 27 times against an iffy Patriots D and he only averaged 3.3 yards/carry.

To me, all this adds up to the conclusion that if McGahee practices well and asks for PT, and runs well in games when they insert him and Henry keeps struggling or gets injured, McGahee will take over the RB spot. The Bills are going to need late-season wins. Jamal Lewis came back a year after an ACL blowout. Obviously this isn't a sure thing. It's probably less rather than more likely to happen. But it's not too far-fetched either.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby e-man » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:01 pm

If you are not doing very well and you in a keeper league, I would try and get him for next year. We can keep 2 players. If you get him of the WW he will only cost you a 14 th round pick next year. (In my league)

I got A Lelie off WW. I also have A Green. My 2 keepers for next year....so far
e-man
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:57 pm

next years hottest draft pick will be maghee probably as a sleeper and henry and maghee challenge each other for 1 spot or henry gets traded to a team like the cowboys for there 1 pick.

Friendliness: %

Postby Paladyr » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:02 am

e-man wrote:If you are not doing very well and you in a keeper league, I would try and get him for next year. We can keep 2 players. If you get him of the WW he will only cost you a 14 th round pick next year. (In my league)

I got A Lelie off WW. I also have A Green. My 2 keepers for next year....so far

U'r keeping lelie??? WOW i would hate to see the rest of your roster! :-P.

McGahee won't produce this year. Jamal Lewis was the exception to the rule, McGahee is no Jamal.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wizbang » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:28 pm

Good post regarding Jamal Lewis being the exception. To further that statement a bit I think Lewis has shown that even he wasn't all the way back last year. Despite a decent season in '02 he is clearly an entirely different rusher this season, similar to the end of his rookie campaign.

Also, don't forget that McGahee's knee injury wasn't a typical one. He tore THREE ligaments in what some called the worst knee injury in the history of modern knee repair surgery. If he's back to form for game one NEXT season I'll be impressed.
wizbang

Friendliness: %

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:45 pm

wizbang wrote:Also, don't forget that McGahee's knee injury wasn't a typical one. He tore THREE ligaments in what some called the worst knee injury in the history of modern knee repair surgery. If he's back to form for game one NEXT season I'll be impressed.

That was definitely the most brutal injury I have seen since Theissman... I almost gagged watching that sucker fold backwards...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk