Who else pays for each roster move? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who else pays for each roster move?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who else pays for each roster move?

Postby brownsfantasygirl » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:15 pm

In my league, we pay $1 for every roster move---trade, waiver wire or free agent pick-up.

So far I've made 10 moves (three were to help me with bye situations, and since I picked 11th out of 14, I was in desperate need of a QB and picked up Penny and Leinart). I'm 4-2.

The high scorer each week (14 teams) wins $5, and I've done it once so I'm only $5 in the hole so far.

I was just curious what other leagues do. I would probably make a few more moves if I didn't have to pay each time.
brownsfantasygirl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:23 pm

In my 3 main leauges only one of them no longer requires payment. However that was the biggest offender in cost. Here's the way they do (or did) roster moves:

1. It's a straight $3 per WW pickup or trade.

2. It's an open bidding process starting at $1 and if someone else wants him it gets bumped to $2 and so on until there is no more bidding.

3. We don't use this anymore, but before it was a blind bid for actual dollars. That means in times like two years ago when Priest Holmes went down and you made a choice between Derrick Blaylock and Larry Johnson (seems silly to say that now, eh?) both players went for mid $20s bids. I can remember some years where people owed more money than our league fee in moves (in one case over $130!).

Crazy, eh?

-M
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby arod77 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:24 pm

I'm in 3 money leagues.

In one league, I am the commisioner and everyone gets 20 free moves. After 20 free moves, it costs $20 for 10 moves ($2 a move). It must be paid at the time the moves are requested. The transaction money pot is given to the overall league champion. The league champion gets $900 + all the transaction money, so it's a really good payout ($150 league). There is already $100 in that pot and it will probably grow to $300.

In another league, we get 14 free moves and then it's one dollar per moves after that. In that league, all the transactions also go to first place.

It helps so that people aren't just picking up players but really have to think if they want players. In my baseball league, one guy paid over $100 in transaction fees and didn't even get a payout.
arod77
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby brownsfantasygirl » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:34 pm

Hmmm, maybe I should suggest that we are allowed a few free moves next year. I have made the most moves so far, and am pleased with my roster right now, but you never know what injuries will pop up and require more moves.

We're just a local group of friends and we each put in $40 to play. The $5/week goes to the high scorer, and then whatever is left from the trades/entry fees goes toward the three winners.

Perhaps I need to try a more serious league next year, with higher stakes--my current group has some novices. One guy just dropped SA and another player has forgotten to change his roster during two of the bye weeks (unfortunately not while I was playing him).

Thanks for the replies.
brownsfantasygirl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby lmcjaho » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:41 pm

In my salary keeper league we have a blind bid (minimum 1$ max no-limit) for pickups each week. If two guys are tied for high bid they then have a 24-hr open auction for the player.

We have 10 guys in the league and we are already at almost 400$ in fees (only 500$ in original sign-up fees) with the high bid of the year being my pickup of Maurice Morris for 11$ when Alexander broke his foot. I have 78$ in bids owed right now (although 17$ is from money owed by another owner I brought it and we booted him out so I absorbed his debts as apology for bringing in a douchebag) and I am the highest, but there are a few others in striking distance for sure...

Personally I much prefer this system to any of the others I have worked with - it means all players are available to all owners - for a price...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby spodog » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:18 pm

Free Agent acquisition - some are auctioned, some are $1
Trades - $1 per player acquired
Cut from roster - FREE
Move to IR - FREE
Move from IR - FREE
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theimitator » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:55 pm

I am commish of a redraft league. It is a $1 fee to add a player via WW or trade. It's no charge to drop a player.

That money will go towards the trophy presentation party at the end of the season.
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:36 pm

In both of my money leagues, we pay $5 for every trade or add/drop. Pretty steep, but it increases the payout at the end of the year by quite a bit.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:08 pm

In my local league we have 1 dollar for pickups, 1 dollar for drops and 5 dollars for trades. It's one of my favorite leagues even though this year injuries have killed my team. Entry fees get the pot to about 900, then transactions get us to about 14 or 15 hundred. If you're in leagues like these where you say, " I would have made more WW moves if it were free", then you need to rethink what you're doing. Either get out next year or get in. And what I mean about getting in is that you have to manage your team the same way as if the add/drops or trades are free. Just last week we had one of our more competitive teams lose by two points and he didnt pick up a bye week filler at TE. I'm not sure if that will eventually hurt or not but he currently is in 2nd place in his division(just ahead of me).

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby AcousticNut » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:49 pm

My league does $2 per transaction. We pay $24 up front for 12 moves and then will be refunded the difference if we don't use them all. This adds significantly to the end of year pot when all the moves are taken into effect.
AcousticNut
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Football Talk