Chris Chambers?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chris Chambers??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby slowride » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:01 pm

Miami is killing me. I was big on Brown and Chambers before the season.....it's not working out to well. In one league I left westy on the bench vs TB in favor of Brown vs GB. Not a smart one.....
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:11 pm

As a McMichael owner, the difference between Culpepper/Harrington is night and day. Too bad for you Chambers owners out there... Harrington's deep ball has a 50/50 shot of being within 10 feet of the WR.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby wreckincrew4U » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:07 am

Kensat30 wrote:As a McMichael owner, the difference between Culpepper/Harrington is night and day. Too bad for you Chambers owners out there... Harrington's deep ball has a 50/50 shot of being within 10 feet of the WR.

Cambers owner here, and I agree with this post. I watched the game this afternoon because I had Chambers and Driver going in the game. Chambers was open a few times downfield and was overthrown. Another time, Harrington had decent protection and Chambers came open late on a deep route across the field, but the ball was overthrown behind him in the back of the endozone as opposed to right at the pylon. Harrington throws for 400 yards and Chambers only has 29 yards!? However, I just can't sit him because I know the week I bench him... he will go off for a couple TD's. Here's to him getting a bigger portion of the yardage back now with a healthy Marty Booker.
wreckincrew4U
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:20 am

yeah Welker! ;-D
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VaderFin » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:46 am

The problem with Chambers is he is being double covered every single time he lines up, no matter where it is on the field. And why not who else do the Fins have? This results in dump off passes to Brown, Welker and McMichael. Then, on the odd occasion Chambers is able to beat the double coverage and be wide open the QB can't get the ball to him where he can catch it. Frustrating as a Fins fan to say the least.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:17 am

Chambers has been the 4th most targeted WR through the first seven weeks. He has been targeted 65 times already but he has only caught about 50% of those targets which is not great. So it does appear that Cpep and Harrington have been throwing his way but just not successfully. It's amazing that Harrington threw for over 400 yards yesterday and Chambers only had 2 catches for 29 yards against a very weak Packers secondary.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:22 am

welll this is to ALL you guys who said "no keep him, he will go off, he did LAST year, he's worth it"

i hope you keep starting him and you wait until week 14 for that break out game, i drafted him as my first wr and traded him a long time ago, i knew things wouldnt change, he hasnt really had one solid game all year, not one, he's the type of wr who can put up 150 yds and 3 td's, i havent even seen a 100 yd game yet or a multiple td game, i knew this was coming, so i got rid of him along time ago....maybe ill go get him from whoever i traded him to, and stash him on my bench for a breakout
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:04 pm

VaderFin wrote:The problem with Chambers is he is being double covered every single time he lines up, no matter where it is on the field. And why not who else do the Fins have? This results in dump off passes to Brown, Welker and McMichael. Then, on the odd occasion Chambers is able to beat the double coverage and be wide open the QB can't get the ball to him where he can catch it. Frustrating as a Fins fan to say the least.

The coverage has nothing to do with it. Joey Harrington has been Mariucci'ed. He prefers to throw the short patterns, and infact leans on the short patterns like a crutch.

Besides that main deficiency, Chambers has two other important factors going against him.

#1 Which I stated earlier, was that Harrington's deep ball is just plain ugly. He is a like a pitcher from the movie Major League with a 95 mph fastball that he can't consistently get it over the plate. Somebody get Harrington a pair of glasses and see if that helps. When Harrington hucks it downfield, you've got an equal chance that Harrington is going to hit the WR or the assistant sideline cameraman in the hands.

#2- Chambers doesn't have the best hands anyways. The guy is a sub 50% catch rate WR who thrives on the deep ball and big play. If you're not delivering it to him when he beats the coverage, he is not going to produce.

So figure the math...

50/50: Harrington is even going to throw the ball deep to Chambers in the first place if he is open, perhaps less or even much less than that.

50/50: Harrington is going to throw an accurate ball.

50/50: Chambers is going to make the play.

Figure Chambers gets the average #1 WR targets week in and week out (about 10 give or take). We'll ignore the Mariucci factor and figure that Chambers will get his fair share of short passes as well. Then factor in Harrington as a QB and you can predict about 5 or 6 catchable balls a game. Factor in the Chambers lack of true hands and you result in a 2 or 3 catch game week to week. Percentage is also leaning towards him NOT making that big play that us fantasy owners crave.

Basically what the math is telling us here, is that Chambers needs about 20 targets a game (#1 in the league type targets) in order to be a consistently productive WR with Harrington under center. Harrington threw the ball 60+ times last week, and Chambers came away with 8 targets. Is it too late to trade Chambers on name value alone?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby D3C4K » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:08 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:The problem with Chambers is he is being double covered every single time he lines up, no matter where it is on the field. And why not who else do the Fins have? This results in dump off passes to Brown, Welker and McMichael. Then, on the odd occasion Chambers is able to beat the double coverage and be wide open the QB can't get the ball to him where he can catch it. Frustrating as a Fins fan to say the least.

The coverage has nothing to do with it. Joey Harrington has been Mariucci'ed. He prefers to throw the short patterns, and infact leans on the short patterns like a crutch.

Besides that main deficiency, Chambers has two other important factors going against him.

#1 Which I stated earlier, was that Harrington's deep ball is just plain ugly. He is a like a pitcher from the movie Major League with a 95 mph fastball that he can't consistently get it over the plate. Somebody get Harrington a pair of glasses and see if that helps. When Harrington hucks it downfield, you've got an equal chance that Harrington is going to hit the WR or the assistant sideline cameraman in the hands.

#2- Chambers doesn't have the best hands anyways. The guy is a sub 50% catch rate WR who thrives on the deep ball and big play. If you're not delivering it to him when he beats the coverage, he is not going to produce.

So figure the math...

50/50: Harrington is even going to throw the ball deep to Chambers in the first place if he is open, perhaps less or even much less than that.

50/50: Harrington is going to throw an accurate ball.

50/50: Chambers is going to make the play.

Figure Chambers gets the average #1 WR targets week in and week out (about 10 give or take). We'll ignore the Mariucci factor and figure that Chambers will get his fair share of short passes as well. Then factor in Harrington as a QB and you can predict about 5 or 6 catchable balls a game. Factor in the Chambers lack of true hands and you result in a 2 or 3 catch game week to week. Percentage is also leaning towards him NOT making that big play that us fantasy owners crave.

Basically what the math is telling us here, is that Chambers needs about 20 targets a game (#1 in the league type targets) in order to be a consistently productive WR with Harrington under center. Harrington threw the ball 60+ times last week, and Chambers came away with 8 targets. Is it too late to trade Chambers on name value alone?

Very good points, and the fact that Chambers is actually getting a decent number of looks per game is what scares me (Though if McMichael either drops one more td pass or bobbles another pass that gets picked off, I'll hunt him down). I'm already losing ground in my league in both points and record, so it's definitely time to move some guys (I'm looking at you Chad, Chambers and Edge). I've never been one to trade away players at their lowest value for hot hands, so I'll probably overpay for a big-time stud to add to the guys I actually like on my team, and add some talent off waivers every week until my roster is full. B-)
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas
BN - J. Ringer
BN - V. Cruz
BN - B. Pettigrew
BN - SF D
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan04 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:36 pm

I have Chambers in two leagues and am very frustrated with his numbers so far. A lot of the blame goes to the Dolphins and their bad qb play, but still...he needs to do better. Think I should trade him now or hold onto him and hope he can turn it around?
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk