Is this legal? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this legal?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:52 am

You can stop and stand around all you want as long as you don't point to anyone or make any gestures.

That said, you can't expect to shave off too much time doing this.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:29 am

the fact is, it was a heroic kick. I mean I am sad the eagles lost, but not mad. What are you going to do?

Most of the time, the team that makes the most playes wins, sometimes the teams who make the best, or most timely plays wins. One of those times. Not like you can really expect to go down to a 62 yarder. There was no indication he had that kind of range.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jnjtk555 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:50 am

I kinda had the same thought-that he should have had a mind to glance at the clock and just stand be the goal line for 3 or 4 secs; looked as if many of the buc defenders had conceded the TD anyway....Is is much different than a team calling a timeout to freeze a kicker. To bad the idea didnt cross his mind.
"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not to thine understanding"
jnjtk555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:01 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:Considering most CBs can run the 40 in 4.5 secs or better... he probably could have shaved 2-3 seconds off.

I don't think there is a rule against that... it's not taunting.

I think it is not even realistic to think that a running back is going to slow down in the NFL on the go-ahead score (assuming extra point). Anybody remember Leon Lett (I think) in the Bills vs. Cowboys Superbowl... slowed down and had the ball stripped at the 1 yard line from behind.

That was HILARIOUS!!! I couldn't stop laughing when that happened and had to wipe beer off my face. But he deserved it. Lett didn't only slow down, he started to high step and waggle the ball behind his back. Served him right, LOL!
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:08 pm

imagine if he had done so and there was a penalty away from the ball and it got called back.

the reality is, you don't let them get a 37 yard return. Nothing you can really do about the kick.,
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:13 pm

I always do this in Madden to burn clock ;-D But knowing the NFL, he would have gotten fined and a 15 yard penalty would have been thrown :-t
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby RyanTB » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:26 pm

eaglesrule wrote:the fact is, it was a heroic kick. I mean I am sad the eagles lost, but not mad. What are you going to do?

Most of the time, the team that makes the most playes wins, sometimes the teams who make the best, or most timely plays wins. One of those times. Not like you can really expect to go down to a 62 yarder. There was no indication he had that kind of range.

Actually he hit a couple from 60 in the pre-game warm up. Part of why Gruden decided to let him have a shot at it.
RyanTB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:22 pm

i know that. But a lot of kickers can bomb them from warm up--they don't have to worry as much about trajectory in that scenario. That's what made the kick so impressive, it was high and long.

I was just saying that considering that in the history fo the NFL, only two kicks have been longer, and nothing from his in-game performances indicated he would be able to do it. Most can't. It's quite the feat.

I kind thought gruden did it because a hailr mary didn't seem at all reaosnable with the way gradowski had been playing.

I still can't get over that. It should really give Tampa something to build on.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RyanTB » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:32 pm

Definately it was quite a feat to make that kick. It wasn't impossible though, obviously. After looking at the paper this morning with the picture right after the kick went off it was nearly blocked there were quite a few Eagles hands up there.
RyanTB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:35 pm

not saying its impossible at all. I can understand why the Eagles D thought they did a good enough job. I mean as a percentage of all kicks taken in the nfl, how many are 60 yarders.

Guy had a foot, I mean it wasn't even in doubt...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk