Merriman Suspended 4 games for Substance abuse... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Merriman Suspended 4 games for Substance abuse...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BigMusky » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:18 am

Alkaholik wrote:
BigMusky wrote:ha ha....now everyone can go back to thinking Urlacher is still the best backer in league and quit talking about some young needle pusher. That hippi on Pitt is probably using them too, or some other substance that may not be performance enhancing.

I dont think Urlacher is the Best LB, and didn't think before he was either. All your biased posts are clouding my vision.

hippi smoke clouds my vision.

Sometimes this year I have to just throw out some obnoxious Bears post since most recent years they have sucked and not gotten a chance to say something :)

It will be interesting to see how Merriman does when he comes back whether he suffers from injuries like a lot of baseball players or just becomes good/better then average instead of great like Bonds did.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:18 am

Drunken Rhino wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:
jdsun1 wrote:Who is next? Haven't they learned to use HGH yet? Its what 90% of baseball players use.

Apparently not.

This is a sad story if you asked me.

They should take away his Defensive ROY award and give it to Lofa, or Thurman.

They most likely don't have any proof that he was using them last year, so somehow I don't see that happening.

This sucks. :-t

Yeah, I don't see it happening either, but I agree, this sucks.

Merriman was gonna be a guy who would lead the league and might even because the best player in the league on D one day. Now, there is going to be a cloud over him his entire career.

Sad story... :-/

Cloud over him over his entire career? I doubt that. Ray Lewis is a murderer and there is no cloud over his career is there? Maybe a cloud over this year, but in today's media, we'll forget about this story as soon as next year because some new story will come along and we'll forget that Merriman is an idiot.

Lewis was never convicted, although some have their theories. If this is true, you can't really deny it...
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BigMusky » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:20 am

off the field activities do not deter the greatness of a player on the field...cheating by taking steroids does.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Smee » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:29 am

I'm really getting tired of hearing the "I didn't know there were steroids in my supplements" excuse, but being that it's used EVERYTIME, maybe there's some truth to it.

The supplement industry is currently not regulated by the FDA (right?) so it's not out of the question that some of these companies are distributing tainted products. The onus is still on the players to know what they're putting in their body and why, but maybe their claims of naiveite are no without merit.
Smee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:29 am

Dont forget Leonard Little Killed a women and did only 3 months in prison, which consisted of weekdays out and at practice and only weekends in the slammer.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:53 am

Smee wrote:I'm really getting tired of hearing the "I didn't know there were steroids in my supplements" excuse, but being that it's used EVERYTIME, maybe there's some truth to it.

The supplement industry is currently not regulated by the FDA (right?) so it's not out of the question that some of these companies are distributing tainted products. The onus is still on the players to know what they're putting in their body and why, but maybe their claims of naiveite are no without merit.

I use to work for a supplement company and it's not regulated by the FDA.

It's not out of the question for a smaller company trying to make a name for itself to put an illegal product in there so custmers get quick results and keep buying their products.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:35 pm

mysticphysh wrote:There's documented studies that prove and disprove it. Just like there are documented studies the prove and disprove the fact that steroids are even effective in enhancing your physical performance. Why risk heart desease, bowel desease, physicological problems, liver desease and growing breasts and underdeveloped penis for something that may or may not improve your performance?

All the medical disagreements aside, Merriman cheated plain and simple. Whatever the effects and side effects of steroids, it is banned and he cheated and I have absolutely no respect for him now.

Sorry, bro, but you're not gonna get off the hook this easy.

You claim that your heart explodes, then someone asked you for backup, and you simply say that there are studies that "prove and disprove."

Also, you say that steroids mess up your liver worse than alcohol? Well, considering that nandrolone (the drug we are talking about) isn't alpha-alkylated...the effect on the liver is minimal. When you are talking about oral AA drugs, then you are talking about liver damage when the drug is abused.

After the tiniest bit of research, I see that nandrolone was FDA approved in 1983 to treat a large amount of illnesses and is available by prescription in many countries. The US, of course, overreacted to media pressure and made steroids a controlled substance.

Your turn: Give me the heart exploding study.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:50 pm

BigMusky wrote:off the field activities do not deter the greatness of a player on the field...cheating by taking steroids does.

Right...

Remeber the last big-name defender suspended for breaking the substance abuse rules by allegedly using steroids? It was Julius Peppers...how much has his career been clouded?
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:03 pm

killiansjmd wrote:
Smee wrote:I'm really getting tired of hearing the "I didn't know there were steroids in my supplements" excuse, but being that it's used EVERYTIME, maybe there's some truth to it.

I use to work for a supplement company and it's not regulated by the FDA.

It's not out of the question for a smaller company trying to make a name for itself to put an illegal product in there so custmers get quick results and keep buying their products.

Agreed...just like when you buy herbal supplements...not regulated by the FDA and the capsule you take can pretty much have anything in it.

However, knowing that this is possible with supplements, why would an NFL player risk it? Maybe it's time that it be mandated for supplements to be regulated by some govt agency.

Another interesting part of this story was the fact that the info about Merriman was leaked by someone in the NFL office. Apparently, this info shouldn't have even come out until he was able to appeal it. Doesn't really matter either way...he'll still get the 4 game suspension.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:33 pm

demarcus ware>>>>merriman

glad dallas made the right choice ;-D

ware is a beast, merriman needs roids to keep up
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer