What is YOUR strategy for deciding on WR's ??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What is YOUR strategy for deciding on WR's ???

Moderator: Football Moderators

What is YOUR strategy for deciding on WR's ???

Postby Foolio » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:57 am

Do you go with the receivers you think will be playing from behind and need the passing game or do you just go off the matchups and who you think will win???
Foolio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FatFoot » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:04 am

Outside of Torry Holt, I don't think there's any solid plan to be used. :) Seriously... this year is WAY unpredictable. Bench Randy Moss and he gets a huge day. TO can't get YARDAGE. CJ hasn't broken 100 yards this year, I think... and hasn't he had only 1 TD? My faith in WR is broken.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Foolio » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:21 am

FatFoot wrote:Outside of Torry Holt, I don't think there's any solid plan to be used. :) Seriously... this year is WAY unpredictable. Bench Randy Moss and he gets a huge day. TO can't get YARDAGE. CJ hasn't broken 100 yards this year, I think... and hasn't he had only 1 TD? My faith in WR is broken.

LOL, I hear ya...This year has been insane for WR's, luckily I do have T.Holt. He is always playing regardless of the matchup...
Foolio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby Retet » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:50 am

I'm not too fond of playing matchups for any position. Nor do I like to try tp pre-determine who will be "playing from behind."

Thus, in most situation, I simply use the old "overall points" strategy for starting WRs, i.e. I start those WRs with the most overall points. Why? Because they are probably the most likely to continue producing points.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:58 am

I go with a combination of matchup and the player's team's offense. Like I downgrade guys like Walker and S. Moss because their offense stinks. Best players I like are guys on good offenses who are also the focus of the offense, like Steve Smith and Coles.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby frogfan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:05 pm

I'm in a ppr league, so I have made it a point to get guys that get 7-8 catches each week...that way, even if they don't score a TD they are going to be above average each week...Harrison, Driver, and Andre Johnson are my guys...I think they each have 3 TDs this year, but 4 of those 9 came this past week...but each week I have one of the highest scoring WR corps in my league because they are good for 7-8 catches regardless.
frogfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TheDiplomats » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:13 pm

I look at matchups most of the time..unless they are complete studs. Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Torry Holt, TO are guys you HAVE to start every week simply because they will get their yardage and possibly a TD.

Even when you do look at matchups, it's really difficult to predict what WR's will do. Guys like Plaxico, Santana, and Randy ocasionally break out and have monstrous days. The best advice I can give is to stick with your studs unless matchups with your other WR's give you a better shot at scoring.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:16 pm

I go with the same 3 every week. Harrison, Jennings, Muhammad ;-D
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:22 pm

frogfan wrote:I'm in a ppr league, so I have made it a point to get guys that get 7-8 catches each week...that way, even if they don't score a TD they are going to be above average each week...Harrison, Driver, and Andre Johnson are my guys...I think they each have 3 TDs this year, but 4 of those 9 came this past week...but each week I have one of the highest scoring WR corps in my league because they are good for 7-8 catches regardless.

;-D
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:44 pm

Here are the factors I look for most in my WR.

#1 - targets . IF the guy is getting thrown the ball a lot and with some regularity, he is probably a good start.

#2 - passing defense. Makes no sense to play a guy in windy/rainy conditions, in what is sure to be a low-scoring grind it out game. IE Clev vs. Denver ,a team that has given up 1 TD in the past 5 games, and whose average game looks is basically a 10-3 victory. Did you start Edwards or Winslow?
-----

#3-#10 factors

In no particular order: injuries to the opposing secondary, weather, point spread vs. over/under, time of possession statistics, WR catch %, WR ypc, redzone efficiency, etc.

Obviously you're not gonna go through every single one of these details for all of your WRs week in and week out. You might have 3 clear starters and no need to even evaluate past #2. But if you can form an idea in your head of how a particular game is going to be played out, what role a WR is going to play, and what type of conditions he is going to face, you are ahead of the curve. It's not about picking the right WR, is about picking the right conditions for a WR to succeed. You do that, you give yourself the best chance to win.
---

For instance, did you know that the Raider's have one of the stingiest pass defenses in the NFL? They were playing at home. And this was perhaps their best chance to log a victory for the rest of the season. You know they are coming in fired up to play. Fabian Washington, a surprisingly effective player and bright spot in the Oakland seconary, was slated to come back healthy into this game for the first time in a couple weeks. With Asomugha, Huff, and Washington, you have a young quick secondary. Almost every team the Raider's have played have attacked their weak spot (the front 7) and ran the ball to great success, except that this is the precise area where Arizona is struggling the most!

While Arizona on the other hand was coming off a short week after a Monday Night game, after a devastatingly emotional loss, and their O-Coordinator was just fired. Yet, I see people starting Leinart over much better options at QB. I just don't get it. The guy is a rookie QB, and even a seasoned vet in this type of situation is going to be hit or miss. And how can you miss the line on this one? Arizona narrowly lost to one of the best teams in the NFL, and yet they are only favored by 3 points against arguably the worst team in the NFL (who were winless) the following week. How can Arizona D be the #1 on Plindsey's defensive formula, UNLESS the Arizona O is going to be equally bad and keep them in the game?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk