Is this fantasy strategy "unsportsmanlike"? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this fantasy strategy "unsportsmanlike"?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this fantasy strategy "unsportsmanlike"?

Postby mjhokie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:18 pm

I'm winning my game by 2 points. I have Tiki and Jacobs to choose from tonite. My opponent's kicker is on bye, but he can pick up either Vanderjagt or Feely anytime before kickoff. Given Dallas' #1 rush defense and the scoring system in my league, it is entirely possible that one of those two will score more points than either of my RB options.

I have 2 defenses and Kaeding. Would it be in anyway "unsportsmanlike" to cut one of the D's and Kaeding to pick up BOTH of tonight's kickers, thereby assuring me a win? Or is this just good strategy? (Or course, I would drop them again tomorrow)

Thanks.
mjhokie
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:19 pm

If your league let's you pick up player's on game day, then do it. It will guarantee your win and then just drop em tomorrow.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 75)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:20 pm

I would say no, because shouldn't he have picked up one of these kickers by now already? I don't get that rule, either, that's kind of a funky rule.

Go for it. Secure the win.
BillyHallDisciple
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:21 pm

hahaha... go for it... teach him to wait till the last minute to pick up a player.

;-D

Managing the FA pool is a legit tactic.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jnjtk555 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:24 pm

its seems rather cutthroat (i hope thats the right word) but a sensible strategy nontheless; hey you arent breaking any rules and if this isnt contrary to your leagues integrity guidlelines its simply up to you. If its gonna be on your mind then just go ahead and let things play out as is; looks to me like you are favored to win the match-up without making such a move.
"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not to thine understanding"
jnjtk555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:28 pm

I don't see it as all that cut-throat. It appears your opponent has had a lot of time to pick up one of these kickers and has just been dilly-dallying this whole time. you snooze, you lose man.
BillyHallDisciple
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Retet » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:30 pm

Good topic:

Here's how I see it:

-- Is it unsportsman like? Yes. It's cutthroat and selfish.

-- Is it unethical: No. If such moves are possible within your league, I think you have every right do make the move that you suggest.

-- Would I do it? No. It just sounds mean to me, and while I like to win, certainly, I would somehow feel as though I cheated this win -- even though it was a legal tactic.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:32 pm

If it's not unethical, then it can't be cheating.

The moral dilemma part of this whole thing is overrated. I'll say it again - dude has had all week long to pick up one of these kickers. If he hasn't done so by now, he must not want to win that bad.
BillyHallDisciple
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mjhokie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. My real dilemma is that this is a real good friend of mine and not just an acquaintence. On the other hand, he is already 5 games back after 6 weeks and has virtually no shot at the playoffs, while I'm in the thick of it. I know he hasn't intentionally ignored his roster this week - he's just been busy.

On a related note, but knowing this is not the right forum, Tiki or goal-line guy Jacobs vs. #1 rush D Dallas? A TD for me would probably make kicker question moot.

Thanks
mjhokie
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 6)

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:40 pm

I would do it. A win is a win, and its your opponents fault for not picking up a kicker sooner

There are alot of things that would fall under this same category, and while questionable, things like this are legit tactics to help win.

One example of something similar that people do sometimes, and I did this last year, is to porposely throw a game in the end of the regular season, in order to change your playoff seed, and in the process putting you against what you preceive as the weaker opponent.

like was already said, managing the free agent pool is part of the game,

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk