Is this fantasy strategy "unsportsmanlike"? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this fantasy strategy "unsportsmanlike"?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Bowie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:00 pm

stomperrob wrote:
slowride wrote:I would do it no doubt. It's his fault for not picking one of them up. It's not cheating. It's not illegal....I can't see anything wrong with it.

Yes it is - do you not bother reading the other posts before posting - it's a clear violation of the rules:

If it's a Yahoo league league it's against the rules you agreed to abide by by signing up for their league:

No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

If it is Yahoo, then he can't do it anyway. The kickers would appear available, but the pick-up would only take affect for next weeks games.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:14 pm

Bowie wrote:If it is Yahoo, then he can't do it anyway. The kickers would appear available, but the pick-up would only take affect for next weeks games.

Good point - but I believe he could still do it, but only if the players he is dropping are either playing tonight or have byes this week. If you make a move involving a player who's game has already started, it won't be effective until next week.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Bowie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:50 pm

onnestabe wrote:
Bowie wrote:If it is Yahoo, then he can't do it anyway. The kickers would appear available, but the pick-up would only take affect for next weeks games.

Good point - but I believe he could still do it, but only if the players he is dropping are either playing tonight or have byes this week. If you make a move involving a player who's game has already started, it won't be effective until next week.

I picked up a player this morning and he does not even show up on my bench for week 7. I have to go forward to week 8 to even see that he is on my team.

From Yahoo's rules page:

"The deadline to complete all transactions (trades, waiver claims, and free agent claims) for a given week is 11:59 p.m. PT every Sunday."
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby EagleFan68 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:23 pm

If it's a friendly league more than a money league, I would just play it as it is.

If it is a more hard core money league, do it, it's within the rules and your rights. Hey you are releasing 2 players from your roster to make this move and he already had plaenty of time to grab a kicker.
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:28 pm

Bowie wrote:
onnestabe wrote:

I picked up a player this morning and he does not even show up on my bench for week 7. I have to go forward to week 8 to even see that he is on my team.

From Yahoo's rules page:

"The deadline to complete all transactions (trades, waiver claims, and free agent claims) for a given week is 11:59 p.m. PT every Sunday."

If that's the case, the other owner is screwed... no need to even attempt to add/drop the kickers.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:22 pm

EagleFan68 wrote:If it's a friendly league more than a money league, I would just play it as it is.

If it is a more hard core money league, do it, it's within the rules and your rights. Hey you are releasing 2 players from your roster to make this move and he already had plaenty of time to grab a kicker.

For the THIRD time - it's against the rules:

If it's a Yahoo league league it's against the rules you agreed to abide by by signing up for their league:

No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby BeefSandwiches » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:40 pm

So the game has started and rosters should be locked...what is the outcome? Were there any pickups - by you or him?

I'm on the edge of my seat ;-7 ;-7 ;-7
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
- Homer J. Simpson
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby zevon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:42 pm

Moot point, neither of you can use WW players tonight, roster moves would be for Week 8.

For my money, I'd use Jacobs if you're looking for a TD or 2. Tiki hasn't found the end zone yet and he's up against the #1 rushing D at 67 YPG.
zevon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:37 pm

zevon wrote:Moot point, neither of you can use WW players tonight, roster moves would be for Week 8.

For my money, I'd use Jacobs if you're looking for a TD or 2. Tiki hasn't found the end zone yet and he's up against the #1 rushing D at 67 YPG.

Is this a TD only league... I don't get benching Tiki for Jacobs... are pigs flying!!!
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bellings » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:15 am

I'm not trying to split hairs here, but the word "sole" is important. Earlier this year, my opponent desperately needed a QB in my start 2 QB league, and Rivers was on waivers. I had 9th waiver and he had 10th, so I put in a waiver for Rivers with the PRIMARY purpose being to block my opponent from a quality QB. But this wasn't my sole purpose, because I kept Rivers after that week, and now he's doing well for me.

The "sole" is in there because of people picking up players and then dropping them, which puts them on waivers and blocks others from picking them up for gameday. This is very unethical because you aren't even burning a bench spot while blocking a player. If you would have picked up both kickers and kept them for a week or more, and I don't think that anyone could complain about it.
bellings
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk