Is Manning Selfish? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Manning Selfish?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby spodog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:58 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:Just trying to start a controversial topic, that's all.

This is not very controversial.

You have the most effective short yardage passing game in the NFL.

You have incredibly sure handed receivers in Wayne and Harrison.

You have a solid TE threat.

You have the most accurate passer in possibly the history of the league.

Wouldn't you use these weapons on 2nd and Goal to go?

Where's the controversy?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crippler » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:23 am

Dont try to fix whats not broken. If it works almost every time, why not throw at the goal-line? He's not interested in personal stats, just how his teams looks at the end of the day.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:53 am

I'm not talking about Manning throwing in short yardage as controversial. I'm talking about myself posting this as controversial. You know, lots of angry backlash from other readers. :-)
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:07 am

bobbing_headz wrote:I'm not talking about Manning throwing in short yardage as controversial. I'm talking about myself posting this as controversial. You know, lots of angry backlash from other readers. :-)

you suck! :-D

i could get angry about this after i was smoked by manning this weekend. but i won't. people are right. no lead is safe. you're on the field for a reason and that's to score. everyone expects the run on the goal line. manning is as good as it gets throwing the ball. maybe not in leadership, but he's as booksmart as they come and he has the physical tools and talent (his own and surrounding) to do this. most teams do not, so that's why the colts are the exception.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:09 am

if you have an advantage, you should press it until the other team takes it away.

I do think some mentality is changing. Everyone proscirbes the running game this, running game that (and it is obviously important)

But if you have someone who is likely going to be ont he short list for best QB of all time, and have receivers on the caliber of wayne and harrison, why wouldn't you?
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Is Manning Selfish?

Postby maddog60 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:42 am

bobbing_headz wrote:Seems to me that throws a lot when he's on the goal line or really close. Possibly because of a lack of a running game or is Manning just greedy?
[/quote]

Play Tony Dungy for a moment. Goalline, you've got Peyton Manning arguably the best QB in the NFL, a future hall of famer, his targets are Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. If you need that TD, are you going to take the ball out of Manning's hands? No way. Like with any team with a great QB, you want the fate of your offense in their hands, unless in extremely fortunate cases like having Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman.

A lot of this came up in 2004 during Manning's run for the TD record, and while sure you're not going to pass every time, Manning gives the Colts the greatest chance of scoring, so I'd rather he have control than anyone else.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:22 pm

I say peyton manning has a career high for rushing TDs this season.
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:59 pm

Pete123444 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:This thread is comical.

Why don't you go back and look at Indy's conversion % from inside the 5 when they run, and conversion % from inside the 5 when they pass and then rethink your posting of this thread.

Where can you do that FB?

This is a good place to start, though it's not as in depth as some of the others I can't find right now:

http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/leaders.asp

I used to have another one a few years back but it's a pay site now. In that year their TD % when passing from inside the 5 was around 70% and the rushing TD % was under 20%. This was during Manning's TD passing record year.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk