Things that make you go hmmm - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Things that make you go hmmm

Moderator: Football Moderators

Things that make you go hmmm

Postby garretterik » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:34 pm

I am now officially 2-5 and would be out of the playoffs if they started today in my league. Yet I am 3rd overall in pts and only 15 behind first place. It seems whoever I play goes off every single week. Anybody ever have a similar situation. Scored the most points in your league and didn't make the playoffs. I didn't think it was possible.
garretterik
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:38 pm

happened to me 3 years ago. first in points no playoffs.
last year i was first in points thru week 10 and only had 1 win. needless to say both seasons still make me pretty angry.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crippler » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:38 pm

It hasnt really happened to me, but my friend always seems to have this problem. He drafts inconsistant players, so each week he will either lose by a lot or win by a TON. This adds up to a lot of points, but a good chance for some losses as well.

With a solid, consistant team this wont happen quite as often. However, if you have a lot of players such as Burress, Evans, Westbrook, Cadillac, etc this year, it may hurt your record even if your total points are high.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Re: Things that make you go hmmm

Postby spodog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:53 pm

garretterik wrote:I am now officially 2-5 and would be out of the playoffs if they started today in my league. Yet I am 3rd overall in pts and only 15 behind first place. It seems whoever I play goes off every single week. Anybody ever have a similar situation. Scored the most points in your league and didn't make the playoffs. I didn't think it was possible.

Sounds like you need a better Defense.

Defense wins championships, you know.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Things that make you go hmmm

Postby EagleFan68 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:52 am

garretterik wrote:I am now officially 2-5 and would be out of the playoffs if they started today in my league. Yet I am 3rd overall in pts and only 15 behind first place. It seems whoever I play goes off every single week. Anybody ever have a similar situation. Scored the most points in your league and didn't make the playoffs. I didn't think it was possible.

A few years ago I had a similar situation

We have a $30 weekly prize for most points. I am not exagerating, I played the guy with the most points 10 out of 13 regular season weeks.

I ended up 1-12 with the most total points scored overall in the league.
It led to some talk from everyone to somehow award playoff spots by a head to head and total points combination, but in the end most of us agree this was just a rare instance and we just kept it head to head overall record and tie breakers.
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:54 am

I've never had this problem. I always score the most points.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:32 am

I'm in a 12 team league this year where none of the top 3 teams are in the top 5 in total points scored. I'm #2 and currently sitting in 6th place.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:07 am

I think that almost every league has one team who has a good team, but every week plays whoevers team goes off. Its not abnormal, it just sucks when you are that team.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deacon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:09 am

Yeah I am in the middle of this 'buzzard luck' streak myself. Just like you I am 2-5 in one league and I always lose by less than 7 points.

My luck is so bad right I don't know what to do. One week I lost because my opponent had Joe Horn who hadn't had a TD in 12 games and what does he do? Score 2 TDs, 100+ yds rec.

I played against LT when he went for 4 tds

I played against Crumpler last week with his 3td, 100+yd rec day.

I played against Maroney on his 2td, 125yd rush day.

I played against McNabb on that Monday nite when he had 2 passing tds and 2 rushing tds. (and I was up by 32 pts before the game)

I have just come to the conclusion that I am the slump buster this year.
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Matthias » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:32 am

Crippler wrote:With a solid, consistant team this wont happen quite as often. However, if you have a lot of players such as Burress, Evans, Westbrook, Cadillac, etc this year, it may hurt your record even if your total points are high.

This is a very good point. Everyone drools over the 25-30 pt performers, but I like the Hines Wards of the world who, in some situations, can blow up for 20 (his game this week was an aberration: probably the best fantasy day of his life) but more importantly, has a floor of about 10 pts a week. You get a team of 10-15 pt performers and you won't have the high-scorer / last place phenomenon as much.

Still, it sometimes happens. And this thread pops up about once a month or so. Standard responses:

1) I'm sorry. It happens to me, too.
2) Score the most pts in your league every week and you won't have this problem.
3) Obviously your team is doing an inadequate job of playing defense.

But it is why points scored against is my second tie-breaker after record and points scored. Logic being, if everyone happened to have caught lighting in a bottle against you, you should have a better record than someone who scored the same amount of points as you.

Also, if you feel like your other players have a huge edge over the other team and the only way he can win is if a certain player is going to blow up, you can hedge against that risk by picking or playing up a player correlated to their player's points. Plaxico/Eli, Horn/Brees, Carr/Andre Johnson, e.g. Not a situation that would probably arise very often, but possible.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk