Things that make you go hmmm - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Things that make you go hmmm

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby EagleFan68 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:42 pm

BigMusky wrote:This sounds hypocritical, but if you score the most points and dont make the playoffs that seems to me like you are not playing the correct matchups. One would think that you must be playing the correct matchups to have the most points, but consistancy is the key.

This is wrong

What if you, as in my case, scored more than the other 8 guys in your league 10 out of 13 weeks, but in those 10 weeks you lose to the guy that has the most points scored in the week.

For 10 out of 13 weeks, I would have won my head to head game if I played ANY OTHER TEAM except the team I lost to.

Thati show I ended up with the most points scored and a 1-12 record. It happens.

Starting the right players, just bad luck in who you play.

This is fantasy football, unfortunately you can't stop the other team from scoring.
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RJ24VC15 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:45 pm

I've scored the most points in my league by far and am only 4-2-1.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby BigMusky » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:45 pm

How can you play the highest scoring team each week? There can not be that many good teams. You have to lay some eggs in there somewhere.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:46 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:I've scored the most points in my league by far and am only 4-2-1.

right, but you are not 1-10 or anything ridiculous like these guys are saying. You keep the course you should make the playoffs. the other thing I see happen is some team explodes for a the first half of season but has no bench...so as soon as anyone gets hurt they suck and lose all their games down stretch. Then look at the final point tally and complain that they had highest scoring team but lost.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby EagleFan68 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:02 pm

BigMusky wrote:How can you play the highest scoring team each week? There can not be that many good teams. You have to lay some eggs in there somewhere.

How many times/ways do I have to explain it to you ?

In 10 of the weeks played, I was only outscored by 1 team, the team that I played head to head.

I lost 2 other games in average scoring weeks where i wasn't near the top and I won 1 game, also of which I was not the weekly high scorer

All those weeks being the second high scorer consistantly built up my total points but not wins.

It got to the point where it was a running joke that everyone couldn't wait to play me because they knew they would be winning the $30 weekly point prize money.
:~(
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Infidel » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:16 pm

BigMusky wrote:How can you play the highest scoring team each week? There can not be that many good teams. You have to lay some eggs in there somewhere.

I second what Eaglesfan06 said. You can look up my post above. A team is crappy 10 out of 13 weeks means that they are good 3 out of 13 weeks. So, you have a 1/4 chance of catching said team on a good week. Last week I played a 1-5 team that had Ward and Crumpler. Now do you get it?
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jnjtk555 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:18 pm

gablefan wrote:That is why we play two games each week. This past week 3 guys scored over 100 points, I had 102 , but the guy i played had 137. It sucked to score the third highest, but at least I still won one game.... :-°

This sounds like a very interesting league, having a team on 4 different sites i imagine thats its a off-line. True? Is it a money league also?
"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not to thine understanding"
jnjtk555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

I get the concept, I just dont see that happening in reality if you have a legitmate team. I think those kind of phenomen are created by teams built around one superstar with no depth of talent and not bench depth. So anytime a bye week comes, an injury hits or unexpected poor performance they have a bad week.

I guess I can concede that it is possible for someone to be the 2nd highest scoring team every single week....even though that seems almost mathmatically impossible. But any neglible probability times MILLIONS of games and leagues, does occur in reality. But this sounds more like a fish story to me.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:59 pm

BigMusky wrote:I get the concept, I just dont see that happening in reality if you have a legitmate team. I think those kind of phenomen are created by teams built around one superstar with no depth of talent and not bench depth. So anytime a bye week comes, an injury hits or unexpected poor performance they have a bad week.

I guess I can concede that it is possible for someone to be the 2nd highest scoring team every single week....even though that seems almost mathmatically impossible. But any neglible probability times MILLIONS of games and leagues, does occur in reality. But this sounds more like a fish story to me.

ok well you have fun calling everyone liars. there is a thing called dumb stupid luck and somtimes you get screwed in this game. it happens all the time i dont understand your point in arguing this. youre basically generalizing that people must be making mistakes with thier lineups. no. sometimes you just get royally screwed. nothing you can do about it.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BigMusky » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:08 pm

I am not calling people liars...I just think it is too easy to simply blame the schedule. I am also wondering how in a 12 team league you can have 11 different weekly winners and the highest scoring team not be one. I am suspecting that is more plausable in a 6 team or a really deep 20 team league or something like that where either every team is really stacked or every team is weak and opens the door for these kind of wacko things.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk