extra points(?) (answered) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Trivia Time Trial

extra points(?) (answered)

Moderator: Football Trivia Mods

extra points(?) (answered)

Postby buzzgad » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:41 pm

O.K. with the internet this will be easy to look up. However, I thought it was very interesting when I came across it.

There are three ways to score a point(s) after touchdown, what are they? :-?
buzzgad
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Derechon » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:38 pm

1 point by kick
2 points conversion by touchdown
1 point for a safety

I'm sorry i had to do some reaserch but the question was to intriguing, i'm still not sure how you can score on a safety.
Only the ofensive team can score a try, so even if the O team lined up in their own goal line and were sacked de D team would not get a point. Maybe you can decide you want to play on D after the TD and sack the other team, but this is to weird.<br><br><span class=gensmall>Accepted as answer by buzzgad on Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:51 pm EST.</span>
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe" - Albert Einstein. "Specially when choosing your FF starters" - Derechon
Derechon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby buzzgad » Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:19 pm

Derechon got it.

Okay here is how a team can get a point on a safety. Let's say for the sake of argument that the redskins this weekend score a TD to tie the game @ 21-21 with no time left on the clock. Let's say that there Field goal kicker is hurt and they don't have a backup. Facing Tampa Bay do you go for two and the win. If I am coaching nope. I line-up as if I were going for two, with one adjustment I put trung candidate back at the fifty yard line. I have ramsey wing it to him trung runs out of the back of the Redskins own endzone for a safety and A 1 point victory.

now how crazy would that be. I don't think it has ever been used and yet it is probably easier than kicking a PAT. :-D
buzzgad
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Shaffe » Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:30 pm

so in your situation, the score is 21-14 before the td. wash scores the td to make it 21-20. then if they snap the ball and run backwards out of the opposite end zone, they get 2 points? that doesn't make sense really, what would stop anybody from ever doing that. just have your qb lateral to the fastest guy on the team and you get 2 points. perhaps i'm not understanding it right though.
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Derechon » Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:33 pm

Now that i think about it it's an automatic score if you line unp in your 1 yard line, cause the rules say you can line up on the 2 yd line of the oposing team or anywere farther back, so you would only have to outrun the other team for 1 yard. 8-o

Imagine if it was worth 2 points?? (all thou every body would know about it in that case) :-)

That one has to go in with my top 3 absurd NFL rules (along with leaping and the tuck rule).

Great question.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe" - Albert Einstein. "Specially when choosing your FF starters" - Derechon
Derechon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Shaffe » Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:42 pm

so in your situation, the score is 21-14 before the td. wash scores the td to make it 21-20. then if they snap the ball and run backwards out of the opposite end zone, they get 2 points? that doesn't make sense really, what would stop anybody from ever doing that. just have your qb lateral to the fastest guy on the team and you get 2 points. perhaps i'm not understanding it right though.
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sorry for the confusion guys.

Postby buzzgad » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:10 pm

No, in my situation the score is 21-15. Washington scores to make it 21-21. they then would lateral back to the fast guy on the team and have him run out of the back of their endzone (that they would normally be defending) for 1 point.

Hint: go to google and type in NFL Rules and look under Try (for Point after try) It will explain the rule their.

Crazy but true. It was even the focus of an ESPN article a few years ago. They used Deon as the guy to lateral to.
buzzgad
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Shaffe » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:22 pm

hm, interesting. yeah that clears it up for me, thanks a lot. if they can line up at their own one yard line on the pat, then i don't see why teams don't just do that and take a knee. hm, how odd.
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby AF » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:41 am

I'm going to try this in Madden 2004 on my playstation and see what happens.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:17 am

If you start to run backwards the play would be whistled dead since forward progress had stopped. Same reason you can't run down the clock by giving it to a guy like Dante Hall to run around the entire field all the way back to your own endzone to waste time. It sounds like a good plan, but it really wouldn't work.

I think I should be given a prize for being the first to realize this :-D
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Trivia Time Trial