NEW Onterio Smith Update... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NEW Onterio Smith Update...

Moderator: Football Moderators

NEW Onterio Smith Update...

Postby MN Rube » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:15 pm

I was suckered into starting O.Smith last week, and I lost! Here is what a SI.com writter recently wrote about that.

Have you ever heard the old saying "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see"? American Indians used the phrase "man who speak with forked tongue." In fantasy football, it's better known as "coach speak," and woe to the fantasy owner who believes it.

Prior to Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons, Coach Mike Tice proclaimed that Onterrio Smith would run for at least 100 yards. Upon hearing this proclamation, fantasy owners rejoiced and rushed to plug Smith into their lineup. Who could argue with this thinking? After all, the Vikings were averaging over 150 yards rushing per game and Tice guaranteed it would happen. Ah, the dreaded "coach speak." I'm sure it bit a few owners squarely on the rump.

But wait. This week, Vikings offensive coordinator Scott Linehan reiterated that Onterrio Smith's role would continue to increase. Dare we fall into the trap again? Can it really be that Smith might become a full-time ball carrier for the team? NOT! It's only "coach speak" my friends.

Don't fall into that trap again and forget what history has taught us. In this case, history has shown that this year the Vikings operate a three-headed monster called running back-by-committee. Onterrio Smith shares carries with Moe Williams and Doug Chapman. No matter what Tice or Linehan says, there is no indication that the Vikings will change what has been very effective for the team. Let me refresh your memory -- don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see!

Just thought I'd share this with everyone. Do what you will with it.
MN Rube

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby deftdelivery » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:20 pm

Good reminder for everyone here. Coach talk is absolute crap to go by
Last edited by deftdelivery on Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cliff Harris » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:22 pm

O. Smith doesn't directly effect me, but thanks for the scoop, especially from a guest. I will keep the 'coach speak' in mind.
Cliff Harris
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Homeless » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:09 pm

As long as Moe is there and doing well, O Smith wont see much of the end zone, that fact alone makes him little more than an emergency fill in or starter in deep leagues.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:23 pm

Homeless wrote:As long as Moe is there and doing well, O Smith wont see much of the end zone, that fact alone makes him little more than an emergency fill in or starter in deep leagues.

My man Homie...on point.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:40 pm

Only if Moe get hurt...
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk