Vent about Owners who refuse to trade - Am I Crazy?Are They? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Vent about Owners who refuse to trade - Am I Crazy?Are They?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Vent about Owners who refuse to trade - Am I Crazy?Are They?

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:22 am

There's this guy in my league who's 2-5 and his RBs are Ronnie Brown, Willie Parker, Michael Turner, and Stephen Davis. His WRs are Horn, Galloway, Moulds, Toomer, and Fitzgerald. His TEs are Shockey and Winslow.

We play a flex and it's Ronnie's bye, so he's forced to start Turner at his 2nd RB and he's starting Toomer, Moulds, and Galloway. I offer his choice of either Fred Taylor, Reuben Droughns, or Jamal Lewis for Winslow. He never sits Shockey.

He's turned it down and wanted Kevin Jones straight-up for Winslow. If I was in his shoes, I'd pounce on trading my never-start Winslow for a starting RB. Is he just crazy?

Another guy starts McNabb every game and has Brees on his bench. Two weeks ago, I offered him the same choice...Fred, Reuben, or Jamal for Brees. He had LT, Dillon on a bye, and a hurt Ahman. He then insults my offer and demands Kevin Jones straight-up for Brees...I tell him no, point out that KJ is the #5 RB in our league, and then he starts Alstott and gets zero pts.

What's going on? These guys are holding onto backups that will never start for their team and won't trade them for starting RBs that will help them.

I'm very frustrated right now. Am I crazy or are they crazy?
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goody » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:34 am

The same thing is going down in one of my leagues. I have tremendous RB depth and other guys need RBs, but they won't budge and are taking losses because they are starting backup RBs. I just laugh at them when the week is over and now they are sitting at 2 - 5 and 3 - 4. Let them lose and keep laughing at them.
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:40 am

I understand the frustration about owners who refuse to trade. I've had several extremely generous 2-for-1 trade offers turned down by owners in several leagues who could desperately use the help.

However, Fred Taylor, Reuben Droughns, and Jamal Lewis are probably the least desirable starting RBs in the league right now, and I certainly wouldn't give up even a marginal backup for one of them.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:31 pm

The Lung wrote:However, Fred Taylor, Reuben Droughns, and Jamal Lewis are probably the least desirable starting RBs in the league right now, and I certainly wouldn't give up even a marginal backup for one of them.

Seriously? You'd rather start Michael Turner or Mike Alstott over these guys?

If I had Shockey and was starting Eric Moulds in my flex and Turner as my #2 RB, I'd trade Winslow for Fred Taylor in a heartbeat. No hesitation.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Lung » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:01 pm

Injuries happen like the clockwork in the NFL. I'd rather have a backup with prime potential than a starter who is struggling badly.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:28 pm

The Lung wrote:Injuries happen like the clockwork in the NFL. I'd rather have a backup with prime potential than a starter who is struggling badly.

Alstott has prime potential? LT injuries happen like clockwork?Fred Taylor is struggling badly? 246 total yards and a TD in the last two games is struggling?

I get it. You're the guy who turned the trade down! No further explanation needed.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:17 pm

I'm right with you. In both of my leagues, people are CRAZY over-valuing their players. I got an offer of Keyshawn and Addai for LT and CJ in one. Granted, I don't know the guy, and he could be a newb... in my money league I was getting offers of Ashlie Lelie and McGahee for CJ and Tiki, and that dude is NOT a newb. There have been ZERO trades in my money league. I don't get it.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby GridIronGreat » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:35 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
The Lung wrote:However, Fred Taylor, Reuben Droughns, and Jamal Lewis are probably the least desirable starting RBs in the league right now, and I certainly wouldn't give up even a marginal backup for one of them.

Seriously? You'd rather start Michael Turner or Mike Alstott over these guys?

If I had Shockey and was starting Eric Moulds in my flex and Turner as my #2 RB, I'd trade Winslow for Fred Taylor in a heartbeat. No hesitation.

I would rather start one of those guys on a weekly basis, but you are talking about a bye week fill in. It is my opinion that I would not trade my good bench depth for a guy I am going to start one week. Now if I had to start Turner every week, then yes I would look to deal.

What if he traded you Winslow for Taylor. The next week Shockey goes down and he is without a TE. But don't fear...he has 6 RB's sitting on the pine...one of which he just traded for to play ONE week.

As for trading Brees for one of those RB's. No way. Once again the same holds true. If I had major RB issues then I might do it, but depending on scoring of the league you should be able to get a better RB for Brees than what you are offering.
GridIronGreat
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby TheDiplomats » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:47 pm

Nobody in my money league is ever willing to trade either. Well, with the exception of 1 other owner...so basically every trade in our league is between me and him. It's just stupid how bad people overvalue some of their players.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby pvt1863 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:47 pm

I have the same gripe. I have given up on trading in my money league.

In that league, I have Colston and Heap. This is a Yahoo league, so Colston can play TE or WR. I've been playing him at TE and sitting Heap for most of the year (I have a good WR corps too, so I'm better off sitting Heap than sitting a WR by moving Colston there).

This is a PPR league. At one point, Colston and Heap were the number one and number two TE's in the league. Right now they are one and three. This is a sixteen person league, so I figured I could get some good value for trading Heap to a team that has a bad TE. Boy was I wrong.

I offerred Heap and Losman for Grossman, who was backing up Manning on a team that had Cooley at TE. No go. The counter offer was a pathetic Ma. Clayton and Stokley for Colston. I tried to wrangle Eli Manning from an owner by packaging Heap, Losman, and some RB depth. Again turned down. The counter offer is Farve for Heap straight up, which was a stupid offer considering that I had three QB's on my team (Kitna, Losman, McNair), and Favre would probably become my #3 QB. Another owner made an offer out of the blue. He wanted Heap for Walker straight up. This was even more absurd since heap had more raw points than walker in addition to being at a position that is harder to fill well.

I tried to talk another owner into a trade, but he told me that he would not trade any starters in a trade for Heap. His rationale was that Heap was my backup TE, and I shouldn't be able to get a starter in exchange for a backup. He didn't care that Heap would be a starter on 14 or 15 of the 16 teams in the league!

After all of that, I gave up. I'll keep Heap and he'll either ride the bench as a very potent backup or start at TE in weeks when I start Colston at WR because I don't like the matchups my recievers have.
pvt1863
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting