Vent about Owners who refuse to trade - Am I Crazy?Are They? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Vent about Owners who refuse to trade - Am I Crazy?Are They?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby footballmaniac » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:40 pm

I agree..the 3 RBS, Rueben, Fred and Jamal are not worth sometimes messing someone's depth. I have been playing FF for sometime and have been hurt a lot because lack of depth. I played without a WR 2 weeks ago because I had no one to cut and could not pull of a deal. So, in his shoes..He is not giving up Winslow to get a bye week fill in. I personally, would have taken the trade of Fred for Winslow. But from his point of view...he may think Fred is too fragile of a risk and would rather have Winslow.

I mean...I can understand you being mad if you offered him Fred and Jamal for Winslow and D. Williams (or something like that) and he rejected it. But I can't fault a guy for saying no to fred for winslow
footballmaniac
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Thursday » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:29 am

BrutallyHuge, you finally write a post that makes sense!!!

I'm in 2 leagues, one a 12-teamer, one a 10-teamer. 12 team is a keeper, we're in our 5th year.

12-teamer: 2 trades all season. MASSIVE overvaluing of running backs, to the point i couldn't trade Holt for Maroney (nonetheless, i'm glad that one got turned down! :-° ) ! It's been plaguing my league for years now, no one ever trades, i think i've gotten one trade offer in 5 years. Really, really, really, boring. I'm usually the only dude in my league who even bothers proposing them. Same goes for my baseball league, with essentially teh same dudes.

10-teamer: No trades. I offered one to a dude who absolutely will NOT stop complaining about his WRs, but never got a response. So i just ended up cancelling the trade. Sad. This isn't a keeper, so i'd expect a lot mroe activity, but i guess not.

Trading is what makes fantasy sports worth it to me. Without it, it becomes kind of repetitive.
Thursday
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:08 am

tsunami001 wrote:you have to look at it from his point of view...why would he give up a stud TE to you just to have a bye week filler(in his mind)? He can make do with Turner for a week or 2..

It wouldn't be a bye week fill-in. He's starting Leon Washington or Amani Toomer in his flex (with Fitz out, he started both players this week). I would easily start Fred over either of those guys. FYI, all three of the backs I proposed went over 100 yesterday. Droughns and Fred had a TD each.

With Witten doing great with Romo in there, I've decided not to even offer this anymore.

footballmaniac wrote: mean...I can understand you being mad if you offered him Fred and Jamal for Winslow and D. Williams (or something like that) and he rejected it. But I can't fault a guy for saying no to fred for winslow

I don't understand the reasoning here. Fred and Jamal are both starting RBs. Fred has been quite productive in the past few games and has some very nice matchups coming up (Tenn, Hou, NYG, Buffalo, Miami, Ind, Tenn).

DeAngelo Williams is nothing to me. A backup RB on a team that isn't good at running the ball anyway? I wouldn't trade Jamal straight-up for him...especially not with Billick calling the plays.

I would kill my depth with that trade. What if Tatum loses his job? Could've already happened. What if one of my RBs goes down? I can't possibly start DeAngelo. I can definitely start Fred or Jamal.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jkmin79 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:53 pm

I think it depends on the culture of your league more than anything. I'm in 4 leagues this year and only one of them is active with trades.

The reason why it's hard to trade sometimes, (1) people always overvalue their players and undervalue what you offer; (2) people are afraid of making that crucial mistake that sinks their season, in my big money leagues someone traded Hass/Tatum/Alge for Eli/Chester. Good trade on paper, and the Hass side looks like their getting the better deal, but two weeks later, Hass is on the shelf for 3 weeks, Tatum looks like he's about to lose his starter status, and only Alge has really panned out.

But the third reason is maybe what the original poster is doing wrong. You really have to package your trades at the right time, and it's not just timing trades when other owners have bye weeks. Most of the time, owners will look to fill bye weeks with waiver wire players, in a trade they want someone they can start long term. So, instead of shopping taylor, jamal, and reuben when everyone is down on them, you shop them after they blow up like this week. i know everyone knows to sell high, but it can really help in getting people to bite on offers. the other suggestion is to look for must-win situations. a bye week isn't as big a deal if they guy is well in first place. if he's teetering on the brink of elimination, then (he should) be more likely to take a gamble on a trade.
jkmin79
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting