Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fishing

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:06 pm

Yeah I fished for turtles a few times back when I was a kid. I used a small diameter rope (turtles aren't smart enough to see the line and be spooked by it) a hook the size of your index finger, and an empty one-gallon jug.

Tied one end of the rope to a tree, went about 20 feet down the rope and used the milk jug as a float (which I wonder if was even necessary), laid out more line so the bait would rest on the bottom, and baited it. I don't remember what i used, but something like a chicken neck would probably work. I think I left it over night, since turtles aren't exactly the fastest things, and came back. There's no fight involved, just pulling the sucker in.

I'm not saying that's the proper way to do it, but that's what I did, and I caught turtles. I can't even remember what anything tasted like, I think it was used in stew, which covers the flavor. I also used to use my BB gun to shoot frogs through the ear for frog legs. Hey, we were pretty poor back then, had to make due living off the land best we could when we could.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:00 pm

I really think I need a boat now. :-D :-b :-B

I'm changing my tune a bit though. I think I just want a simple little bass boat for 2 or 3 of us. I don't think I have enough time to justify buying something huge right now.

I was looking at some of these flat bass boats and like what I'm seeing with those. Nothing too fancy. Anybody own one of these or have any experiences with them? They don't look stable to me, but I've never been on one.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:02 pm

post a pic or two of what you're looking at. Some of them bass boats get pretty $$$. Big outboard engine, tons of electronics. Depends on how hardcore you want to get. Some guys do perfectly well in a basic aluminum jon boat with a little outboard and fuel tank and a trolling motor and a car battery in the back.

Edit to include the two most common quotes you'll see among boat owners:

The two happiest days of your boat-owning life will be the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Definition of Boat: (Noun) A hole in the water that you constantly throw money in to.

I loved having boats when we lived right on the water and could just walk out back, get in and drive off. Having to trailer it to the lake every other weekend, pay the ramp fee, launch it, find a place to park truck and trailer, go fish, come back, yank it back out of the water... it gets old after a while. Sorta like people who buy a pool table for their house. They play alot at first, then end up wishing they'd purchased a proper dining room table.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:35 pm

scottaa1 wrote:post a pic or two of what you're looking at. Some of them bass boats get pretty $$$. Big outboard engine, tons of electronics. Depends on how hardcore you want to get. Some guys do perfectly well in a basic aluminum jon boat with a little outboard and fuel tank and a trolling motor and a car battery in the back.

Edit to include the two most common quotes you'll see among boat owners:

The two happiest days of your boat-owning life will be the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Definition of Boat: (Noun) A hole in the water that you constantly throw money in to.

I loved having boats when we lived right on the water and could just walk out back, get in and drive off. Having to trailer it to the lake every other weekend, pay the ramp fee, launch it, find a place to park truck and trailer, go fish, come back, yank it back out of the water... it gets old after a while. Sorta like people who buy a pool table for their house. They play alot at first, then end up wishing they'd purchased a proper dining room table.

All reasons why I've decided, at least right now, to forgo anything too big. Just something simple like that jon boat you referred to. When I posted the boat thread it was mentioned by a few that you could easily pour a lot of money into a boat and not get much out of it. Some people I work with swear by them and take them out every weekend, but in talking to some of them it doesn't sound like I'd have near enough time to make it worth the investment right now. Just something smallish to get us where we want to get to fish. Like these:

I priced a couple at Bass Pro today, but they didn't seem like they were very durable. They were under $1000 and were basically plastic. I think I'd want aluminum like you mentioned and I've read are more durable. How about balance in these types of boats?

I saw this other one yesterday and can't find it. It's a basic flatboat that has no engine so you row it out, which I think I'd be fine with, and it comes apart in 3 pieces to fit in a pickup. Considering I don't have a trailer, but I do have a pickup this seems like a nice fit. But now I can't find it. Anybody know what this is?

Oh, and we went through the pool table thing in our basement. Bought it, played it often at first, then it became just a table so we got rid of it and opened the room up a bit more.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:22 pm

haha...I like the two most common quotes. If someone were to offer me a free boat, I wouldn't take it. I can't think of many things that would be more of a hassle. It also breaks my rule of not owning any recreational "toys" that require fuel.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
I priced a couple at Bass Pro today, but they didn't seem like they were very durable. They were under $1000 and were basically plastic. I think I'd want aluminum like you mentioned and I've read are more durable. How about balance in these types of boats?

I saw this other one yesterday and can't find it. It's a basic flatboat that has no engine so you row it out, which I think I'd be fine with, and it comes apart in 3 pieces to fit in a pickup. Considering I don't have a trailer, but I do have a pickup this seems like a nice fit. But now I can't find it. Anybody know what this is?

If you're looking for inexspensive yet usable, that's a good starter boat that doesn't require much maintenance or fuel. Regarding plastic vs. aluminum, the plastic is probably less noisy to move around in, but if you hit something, may be more prone to punch a hole through instead of dent.

As far as balance, those are not something to go fast in nor to take into anything resembling waves, nor to dance around in (remain seated, please). The purpose of a deep-V hull is to provide stability; like having the entire hull as the centerboard of a sailboat and to cut through waves. And rowing is fine... good cardio exercise and good for the upper back, but it makes alot of noise, so once you get to your fishing area, you might still want to consider an electronic trolling motor to move around without having oars banging in the oar mounts.

In smaller bodies of water you can have a great time with a boat like that. It will get you to places you can't reach from shore. In a larger body, even if there aren't wind-induced waves, a big wake left by some a-hole in a powerboat that drove too closely by will give you fits.

Keep it in shallower water on nice days and don't play the 'rock the boat' game and you and a couple others can have a very enjoyable, quiet day on the water. If there are people in ski boats around or pleasure boaters in pontoon boats (the dredge of boaters everywhere), you're gunna have to stay way secluded.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:haha...I like the two most common quotes. If someone were to offer me a free boat, I wouldn't take it. I can't think of many things that would be more of a hassle. It also breaks my rule of not owning any recreational "toys" that require fuel.

Quote #3: it is far better to have a friend who owns a boat than to own a boat yourself.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:36 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:haha...I like the two most common quotes. If someone were to offer me a free boat, I wouldn't take it. I can't think of many things that would be more of a hassle. It also breaks my rule of not owning any recreational "toys" that require fuel.

I like hearing that, the comment about the fuel. I hope more begin to feel that way when the prices go back up in short time. Consumers should be able to dictate the market.

But we're talking boats and fishing. I should have put this in the fishing thread. Oops.

scottaa1 wrote:If you're looking for inexspensive yet usable, that's a good starter boat that doesn't require much maintenance or fuel. Regarding plastic vs. aluminum, the plastic is probably less noisy to move around in, but if you hit something, may be more prone to punch a hole through instead of dent.

As far as balance, those are not something to go fast in nor to take into anything resembling waves, nor to dance around in (remain seated, please). The purpose of a deep-V hull is to provide stability; like having the entire hull as the centerboard of a sailboat and to cut through waves. And rowing is fine... good cardio exercise and good for the upper back, but it makes alot of noise, so once you get to your fishing area, you might still want to consider an electronic trolling motor to move around without having oars banging in the oar mounts.

In smaller bodies of water you can have a great time with a boat like that. It will get you to places you can't reach from shore. In a larger body, even if there aren't wind-induced waves, a big wake left by some a-hole in a powerboat that drove too closely by will give you fits.

Keep it in shallower water on nice days and don't play the 'rock the boat' game and you and a couple others can have a very enjoyable, quiet day on the water. If there are people in ski boats around or pleasure boaters in pontoon boats (the dredge of boaters everywhere), you're gunna have to stay way secluded.

Cost isn't really a problem, necessarily, however I'm not stupid and don't want to invest in something that I either don't have time to enjoy or end up not enjoying at all.

I thing that I was concerned about in regards to balance was the kids mainly. They'll be in life jackets, obviously, but I don't want to be fishing them out of the lake all day instead of actual fish.

So rowing makes more noise than a motor does? I thought it'd be the opposite. Or are you referring to making currents as you row? What my plan is, if I get a boat without a motor, is scoping out a lake like we've done, and finding a place where we wouldn't have to row out very far. Maybe fish a spot from shore one day, find where it's good and maybe where we'd like to go in the boat, and row out there. Not too far. I own a canoe, but I don't think that's too conducive to fishing from.

Do you know what I'm talking about, the flat boat that can be broken down? I can't find it anywhere now. I wish I would have watched it on eBay or saved the description and pictures.

Honestly, I'd love to just stroll through a junkyard or something and find one that I can basically get for free so if I don't end up enjoying the hassle much I won't feel guilty that I spent too much money or time on it. :-D

Oh, I almost felt like a real fisherman the other day. My wife's grandmother went down to Florida to visit her mom as we had done the week prior and decided to try their luck fishing since I'd had some luck at it. They called and said they weren't getting any bites or anything. I gave them some advice from the success I'd had and not 2 minutes later they called back and had caught a catfish. It was my grandmother-in-law's first catfish so that was cool. The mother-in-law claims it's bigger than anything I caught on our trip so I used Met's line and told her if there isn't a picture, it didn't happen. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:54 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I like hearing that, the comment about the fuel. I hope more begin to feel that way when the prices go back up in short time. Consumers should be able to dictate the market.

It seems that boats/4 wheelers/dirtbikes/snowmobiles/etc are generally more hassle and cost than they're worth. Everyone I know that has one or more of the above is always having an issue with them. Gotta buy fuel, gotta get it registered, gotta insure it, gotta take it in to get the engine looked at...if it's not one thing, it's another.

Here's a picture of the "boat" I have. It's actually proven to be decent for fishing.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:06 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Here's a picture of the "boat" I have. It's actually proven to be decent for fishing.

Doesn't seem like there'd be enough room for your tackle and everything, unless you're by yourself and you put everything in the other seat. The canoe we have is aluminum and rocks pretty good when you're sitting still. Maybe we'll give it a shot sometime in a smaller lake or pond where there aren't any other boats.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk