Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:07 am

Mods, what do you think about merging this thread with the fishing thread since I goofed and accidentally posted this in this vacation thread?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:50 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Mods, what do you think about merging this thread with the fishing thread since I goofed and accidentally posted this in this vacation thread?

If you are OK with it, I'm OK with it
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:21 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Doesn't seem like there'd be enough room for your tackle and everything, unless you're by yourself and you put everything in the other seat. The canoe we have is aluminum and rocks pretty good when you're sitting still. Maybe we'll give it a shot sometime in a smaller lake or pond where there aren't any other boats.

As long as there's room for a pole, a couple of hooks, a bobber, some worms and a case of beer, I'm good to go. Kayaks are far more stable than canoes, much easier to fish from.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:22 am

dream_017 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Mods, what do you think about merging this thread with the fishing thread since I goofed and accidentally posted this in this vacation thread?

If you are OK with it, I'm OK with it

I'm ok with it. :-D

Merge it with the boat thread too. :-b :-B
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:38 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Doesn't seem like there'd be enough room for your tackle and everything, unless you're by yourself and you put everything in the other seat. The canoe we have is aluminum and rocks pretty good when you're sitting still. Maybe we'll give it a shot sometime in a smaller lake or pond where there aren't any other boats.

As long as there's room for a pole, a couple of hooks, a bobber, some worms and a case of beer, I'm good to go. Kayaks are far more stable than canoes, much easier to fish from.

Never been in a kayak and didn't realize there was much of a difference. Is there a specific name or style of that kayak?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:01 pm

If you enjoy canoeing, I think you'd loving kayaking. There are various kinds, the one I have is a two-person touring kayak, which means it's not made for use in strong currents, and definitely not to go over rapids--they make white-water kayaks for that, which are a blast as well--but it is great for lakes or slow-moving rivers. They have ones that you sit inside, like mine, or that you ride on top. The ride on top models are generally a little more stable and easier to fish from, plus you can get off and on them on the water, which you can't really do with the sit inside models.

Touring kayaks are similar to canoes in function, only they're generally much small and lighter, so they're easier to load, unload, and otherwise manage, plus you can cover much more ground (or water, I guess) with far less exertion. You do give up some cargo space, though.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:15 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:If you enjoy canoeing, I think you'd loving kayaking. There are various kinds, the one I have is a two-person touring kayak, which means it's not made for use in strong currents, and definitely not to go over rapids--they make white-water kayaks for that, which are a blast as well--but it is great for lakes or slow-moving rivers. They have ones that you sit inside, like mine, or that you ride on top. The ride on top models are generally a little more stable and easier to fish from, plus you can get off and on them on the water, which you can't really do with the sit inside models.

Touring kayaks are similar to canoes in function, only they're generally much small and lighter, so they're easier to load, unload, and otherwise manage, plus you can cover much more ground (or water, I guess) with far less exertion. You do give up some cargo space, though.

Are there any maybe slightly larger models for 3-4 people? And what'd you mean by "getting on and off on the water"?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Look at this kayak on eBay.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:If you enjoy canoeing, I think you'd loving kayaking. There are various kinds, the one I have is a two-person touring kayak, which means it's not made for use in strong currents, and definitely not to go over rapids--they make white-water kayaks for that, which are a blast as well--but it is great for lakes or slow-moving rivers. They have ones that you sit inside, like mine, or that you ride on top. The ride on top models are generally a little more stable and easier to fish from, plus you can get off and on them on the water, which you can't really do with the sit inside models.

Are there any maybe slightly larger models for 3-4 people?

Sure there are...they're called canoes.
Actually, there are some decent inflatable kayaks that hold four people, probably some hard-shell ones as well, but if you're going to have that many people you're probably better off with a canoe.
Omaha Red Sox wrote:And what'd you mean by "getting on and off on the water"?

In the ride on tops you could paddle to the middle of a lake, jump off and go swimming, then climb back on the kayak. You're not going to be able to do that in a sit-in model.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:01 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:And what'd you mean by "getting on and off on the water"?

In the ride on tops you could paddle to the middle of a lake, jump off and go swimming, then climb back on the kayak. You're not going to be able to do that in a sit-in model.

Ah. I don't like swimming so that wouldn't be something I'd bother with.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk