Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby dream_017 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Mods, what do you think about merging this thread with the fishing thread since I goofed and accidentally posted this in this vacation thread?

If you are OK with it, I'm OK with it

I'm ok with it. :-D

Merge it with the boat thread too. :-b :-B

All set ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:03 pm

dream_017 wrote:All set ;-D

Nice. :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:19 pm

So I was out at my dad's place yesterday and got to talking to a couple hunters (last day of deer season) and it turns out they've been catching 8-10 lb catfish out of his creek. Now, I grew up on this farm and know these woods really well and always assumed the creek was too small to support any real fish populations. I always saw very small shad or whatever, but nothing significant. We never swam or fished the creek so we didn't know really how deep it was either. I checked out the depth in some places and it was consistently 6 feet in some spots. Very surprised by this and it got me thinking. I could dig out a pond out there. Fed by the creek and gradually stocked with fish, that'd be an awesome experience. One preliminary question I need to figure out is whether to just dig out banks on the creek so it flows right through the pond, creating a nice current throughout, or segregating it, branching it off the creek and building a grate to keep fish stock in the pond instead of floating downstream. I'm pretty excited about getting this going and creating structures on the pond's floor looks really fun. Anybody know anyone who's done this?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:21 pm

Hmmm I knew someone 7 or 8 years ago who did that very thing... used a creek/natural spring on his parent's property in southern Indiana to create a pond. Paid to stock it with bass, panfish, catfish to keep the bottom clean. I fell out of touch with him though and I think he moved away to find a new job.

You say it's in the woods... just how wooded is the area? It could be a nightmare trying to dig through a bunch of old roots. And how are you considering digging the pond, can you rent a bobcat or a backhoe and dig it out that way?

I'd probably dig a hole off to the side, then make a spur from the creek to one end of the pond and then another spur from the other end of the pond back to the creek. But, I'm no civil engineer or anything.

Just how wide is this creek you speak of? Are we talking a couple feet across or what?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:44 am

scottaa1 wrote:Hmmm I knew someone 7 or 8 years ago who did that very thing... used a creek/natural spring on his parent's property in southern Indiana to create a pond. Paid to stock it with bass, panfish, catfish to keep the bottom clean. I fell out of touch with him though and I think he moved away to find a new job.

Man, I'd love to pick the brain of someone who's done this. Take them out there and let them check out the area. That would be better than probably anything I could read I'd imagine.

scottaa1 wrote:You say it's in the woods... just how wooded is the area? It could be a nightmare trying to dig through a bunch of old roots. And how are you considering digging the pond, can you rent a bobcat or a backhoe and dig it out that way?

I don't know how to explain how wooded the areas are. If it's not farm land it's woods. I wouldn't say it's thick really, though the vegetation makes it that way in the summer. We own a skidloader so I can do a lot of the digging. It's not quite a backhoe obviously and I know it'll take a long time, but those skidloaders are fun so I don't mind that too much.

scottaa1 wrote:I'd probably dig a hole off to the side, then make a spur from the creek to one end of the pond and then another spur from the other end of the pond back to the creek. But, I'm no civil engineer or anything.

That's an idea given to me from a coworker actually. What I learned, reading this Nebraska Pond Management Handbook, was that having your pond continuously fed by a creek isn't good. It can create problems like erosion, flooding, undesirable species, etc. Things you can't control. So I think I'll be using an inlet and outlet into the pond from the creek, so I can use the creek to feed the pond, to fill it, but I can also open the valve on the bottom end to let go some if needed. And close the top valve when it's finished filling. That seemed like a good idea.

scottaa1 wrote:Just how wide is this creek you speak of? Are we talking a couple feet across or what?

At spots the creek is 10-20 feet across. At others, you can walk across rocks and get to the other side. There's a lot of bends, it's really never straight in any places. Very high banks throughout with a few exceptions. Very nice clay banks and bottom which is conducive to sealing a pond. Lots of muskrat, or whatever they are, holes along the banks. I've caught snapping turtles, big ones, and it used to have beavers. If I can think of anything else I'll add it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:26 am

Here's a satellite image of the property I'm talking about with my points of interest circled.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:11 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Here's a satellite image of the property I'm talking about with my points of interest circled.

Ok, we're going with the southern most circled location in that picture. About an acre worth of land. I've got a ton of resources right here in Nebraska that have showed incredible enthusiasm towards this project. So much so that we could possibly be breaking ground as soon as this weekend, though next weekend looks like a more likely possibility. I'll post some before pictures here. They're not much to look at, just woods, but it gives you an idea of how many trees and brush will need to be cleared before moving on.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:01 pm

It's practically spring... got that pond all dug and filled???
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:19 pm

scottaa1 wrote:It's practically spring... got that pond all dug and filled???

Been out there every weekend basically, clearing brush, but it's so damn muddy we can't get the skidloader over there and my bulldozer guy isn't the most dependable. I think if we have one really good, relatively dry, day, we could get it all cleared out and ready to dig. I'm hoping the snow melts quickly over the next couple days and the sun comes out and dries it up somewhat. Then the real progress can begin.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:34 am

This weather is not cooperating. There are only a handful of trees left to take down, maybe 6 or so, and a couple larger piles of brush. The brush hasn't been burning like it should because it's either wet or it burns evenly and you're stuck with a pile that's too spread out. And since I can't get the skidloader over there with the mud, I can't push it all together. Thinking about renting a wood chipper to take care of a lot of the smaller stuff and just pushing the rest out of the way, but, again, have to wait for it to freeze really good or get dry enough to get the skidloader across. It's basically all cleared though. I've been meaning to update with pictures, but I keep forgetting my camera.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk