Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:45 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:sweet man, looks awesome. You've only got like 5 days left of my spring break to finish that thing up though. :-b

We'll get the 'dozer in there and get it done for you. Might not be a whole lot of water....or fish...so I hope you're really good. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Awesome on being to where you can get the dozer in there to start digging a hole. Where's the ski ramp gunna go??

I expect to see it filled, stocked, and fully landscaped by July 4. :-D Give them bass a couple years to get all growed up and you can host a Cafe Fishing Tournament. I'll bring the beer ;-D And my fishnet Speedos. :-o
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:42 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Awesome on being to where you can get the dozer in there to start digging a hole. Where's the ski ramp gunna go??

I expect to see it filled, stocked, and fully landscaped by July 4. :-D Give them bass a couple years to get all growed up and you can host a Cafe Fishing Tournament. I'll bring the beer ;-D And my fishnet Speedos. :-o

Man, I was totally on board......until the Speedos... Sorry, no Speedos allowed. Especially not by a "guy" named Gunnar. :-D

I'm a member of Pond Boss, get the mag subscription and a member of their forum, and a guy from Lincoln who's built numerous ponds is going to be coming out to lend some hands on advice for me. That's cool because there are a ton of questions I have before actually breaking ground. I'm excited as hell to get this thing going and really looking forward to building some crazy ugly fish structure. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Went to a friend's place over the weekend who has built an acre pond, just finished another (waiting for rain to fill), and is in the process of building a third. Really impressive property. It's 175 acres of woods. Very cool. My kind of place. His "driveway" is nearly a mile long through the trees. Got some good pointers on my pond from him, though his target species are different than mine. His ponds are all 20+ feet deep, while mine will be a max of 15, average of 8. He's got walleye and yellow perch. Perch are fine, I could do perch, though I don't want them competing with the bass, but the walleye in his pond will not spawn. Not a large enough body of water. And I don't think his bass population could really be that great since he's got a ton of frogs all over the pond and I've read that that is usually an indication that there is not a large population of fish feeding on them. Anyway, really cool.

Ok, so we did some fishing and light hunting with some of the kids Saturday. I decided when we left to toss in this crawdad trap that I'd built. I wasn't expecting anything, but tossed it in anyway with some raunchy catfish bait in there. Anyway, get there Sunday after church to see if we caught anything, pull it out, and it's chock full of creek chubs, about 30 or so of them. Not a whole lot to do with them except use them for bait, so I tossed them in a cooler and brought them home to put in my garden pond for a future fishing trip. We get home after Easter dinner and a few, maybe 3 or 4 had jumped out, apparently. I thought maybe the oxygen wasn't good enough with the number of fish I put in there, so I added a second filter. Plenty of aeration now. However, I get home from work today and I think all of them have jumped out. Really strange. I'll see if I have time to drain it tomorrow and see if there's any left in there. Not expecting any. Really strange though. With have to use the artificial baits Wednesday at the lake.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:21 am

Walleye and perch in his farm pond? That's an interesting combination. I wonder how crappie would do in an environment like that? I'd much rather have crappie than bluegill.

I lived on Morse Lake when I was in high school and we'd go out with a bucket full of minnows and spend the day catching white crappie, then come home, filet them, beer batter, and deep fry for a neighborhood fish fry. Great, tasty stuff, and way fun to spend a day ;-D
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:38 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Walleye and perch in his farm pond? That's an interesting combination. I wonder how crappie would do in an environment like that? I'd much rather have crappie than bluegill.

I lived on Morse Lake when I was in high school and we'd go out with a bucket full of minnows and spend the day catching white crappie, then come home, filet them, beer batter, and deep fry for a neighborhood fish fry. Great, tasty stuff, and way fun to spend a day ;-D

This guy's allergic to crappie apparently. Never heard of that before. I plan on adding crappie to my pond after 3 or so years, however long it takes for the bass to establish themselves. There's really no difference between black and white crappie right?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:52 pm

I was just looking at wikipedia. Apparently white crappie are more voracious re: eating other fish, and can/will overpopulate in bodies of water smaller than 100 acres! Black crappie can supposedly be sucessfully stocked in ponds as small as an acre. I'd look into that before making any decision on stocking, but it sounds like you're going to wait a few years anyway.

Maybe bass/bluegill is the way to go after all. Good kid fishing, good adult fishing, good eatin' all around.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:04 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I was just looking at wikipedia. Apparently white crappie are more voracious re: eating other fish, and can/will overpopulate in bodies of water smaller than 100 acres! Black crappie can supposedly be sucessfully stocked in ponds as small as an acre. I'd look into that before making any decision on stocking, but it sounds like you're going to wait a few years anyway.

Maybe bass/bluegill is the way to go after all. Good kid fishing, good adult fishing, good eatin' all around.

Who knew that Gunnar knew so much about fishing? ;-7 :-b ;-)

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:23 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I was just looking at wikipedia. Apparently white crappie are more voracious re: eating other fish, and can/will overpopulate in bodies of water smaller than 100 acres! Black crappie can supposedly be sucessfully stocked in ponds as small as an acre. I'd look into that before making any decision on stocking, but it sounds like you're going to wait a few years anyway.

The plan is this:

Fathead Minnows, Golden Shiners, Bluegill, and Redear Sunfish. - The minnows and shiners are obviously forage fish, as are the bluegill and redears eventually, although the bluegill and redears are obviously nice sport and panfish as well. I was talked into the minnows, shiners, and redears. I wasn't going to stock them initially, but I've been convinced. Basically, a forage base like that will be an all you can eat buffet for the bass I will stock after a bluegill spawn. Minnows - everything will eat the minnows and it will help the bluegill, redears, and eventually bass get a nice headstart. Shiners - same as the minnows, but the shiners are larger and slower, so the bass will basically just gorge themselves on them. Bluegill - obvious choice here. They do very well around here, good sportfish, as well as a quality panfish, and will be the bass' primary food source. Redear Sunfish - Just like bluegill, but bigger and smarter. Will stock many fewer redears than bluegill. Just enough so when you catch one it's more of a thrill and a challenge.

Largemouth Bass - My primary target species. Nearly very aspect of the pond construction and stocking will be geared towards the growth and proliferation of this species. Will be stocked after a bluegill spawn.

Channel Catfish - "Extra" sportfish. Kind of a bonus fish. Only going to stock 50-100 and they will not reproduce so it whatever we harvest will need to be restocked if we so choose. I wanted a catfish species for variety and channel cats are basically sight fish like bass and bluegill, unlike the flatheads and bullheads that are bottom feeders and will muck up the water. Channel cats won't do that and they're still fun to catch and eat (though I'm not a big fan of catfish on a plate). Will be stocked after a bluegill spawn, possibly even later.

Black Crappie - Another bonus fish, primarily for more variety, as are the redears and channel cats. Two big reasons why I'm looking at stocking this species about 3 or so years down the road (when the bass are established) is that they are good to eat and are one of the better ice fishes to target. So I'll have something to fish for at all times of the year and all times of the day and night.

Nice variety there I think. You'll basically be capable of catching 5 separate species of fish from a small acre pond, which should be fun for kids who just think it's fun to catch anything, and for adults who are targeting a specific species.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Still waiting for my dozer guy to get going. Been raining pretty good the past week so I don't blame him. Crossing my fingers for this coming weekend...again.

In the meantime, with the help of my son and the neighbor kids, we built these pvc trees.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk