Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:30 pm

Awesome man, moving dirt is the biggest part. PUlling those stumps is going to suck, fortunately you have heavy equipment to help the task. I bet you're going to find all sorts of critters are you progress thru this stage of construction. Enjoy the work, I'll bet you're loving every minute of it :-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:36 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Awesome man, moving dirt is the biggest part. PUlling those stumps is going to suck, fortunately you have heavy equipment to help the task. I bet you're going to find all sorts of critters are you progress thru this stage of construction. Enjoy the work, I'll bet you're loving every minute of it :-)

It's been more frustrating than anything with the weather. Rained hard again this morning so no work today. But, yeah, when I see dirt get moved around, it's an awesome feeling. :-D One thing I'm concerned about is we have yet to see any quality soil. It's all top soil right now, no clay. So if we don't hit some, we'll have to improvise and bring some in to seal it up. Luckily, I know a guy.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Huh. Well, I guess it's not beyond speculation that if there's been a creek running nearby that there's extra soil deposited. :-? Plus all the trees to fix topsoil into place. I'd still think you'll hit that midwest clay. From the pic it looks like you've still got several feet to go at least so I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:07 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Huh. Well, I guess it's not beyond speculation that if there's been a creek running nearby that there's extra soil deposited. :-? Plus all the trees to fix topsoil into place. I'd still think you'll hit that midwest clay. From the pic it looks like you've still got several feet to go at least so I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.

I just got off the phone with the dozer guy and he's a chatter so we'll see where we sit after a couple runs through it. He's got an interesting idea about hitting water to fill from below too that I will have to research.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Some progress pictures.

We are currently proposing a rope bridge, a zip line, and a log cabin/shed at some point during/shortly after the pond's construction. Give me something to do while waiting for it to fill, aside from creating a vegetation base. Oh, and check this out. There's a guy in Lincoln who is basically nationally renowned for his raising of trophy blue gill. Case in point...

Yeah, that's a 3 pound bluegill. And he's visiting my pond this week to offer some pointers and advice. I will try to keep him on board throughout the project, especially the stocking phase.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Oh my goodness. You do know of course that putting genetically engineered mutant bluegills in your pond can only end badly... right??

the land moving looks like it's coming along nicely. You find any clay yet?
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:15 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Oh my goodness. You do know of course that putting genetically engineered mutant bluegills in your pond can only end badly... right??

the land moving looks like it's coming along nicely. You find any clay yet?

Yeah, I did a soil test this morning actually. I'd go through the whole process and pictures, but you'd fall asleep at your keyboard. Our first "consultant" says it's good stuff so we should be good to go. We do have a source, if I haven't mentioned it yet, for some good red clay (ours is black) in case we need some. But I was reassured this stuff is pretty good.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:38 am

Happy Birthday :-)
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:42 am

scottaa1 wrote:Happy Birthday :-)

Does that say that somewhere? Man, I have all kinds of people who shouldn't know my birthday emailing and calling me all day. Haha. Thanks though man. Feeling another year older today too. Worked the pond all morning and afternoon, than a game of baseball in the evening. Joints are a little creeky and the muscles a little cranky.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:Happy Birthday :-)

Does that say that somewhere? Man, I have all kinds of people who shouldn't know my birthday emailing and calling me all day. Haha. Thanks though man. Feeling another year older today too. Worked the pond all morning and afternoon, than a game of baseball in the evening. Joints are a little creeky and the muscles a little cranky.

Yeah if you entered your birth month/day when you registered it will show up at the bottom of the forum list, under where it shows the list of users currently online.

Don't forget to update your age-o-meter :-b
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk