Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:41 am

I have a very cool opportunity presenting itself. I've been contacted by the owner of a 40 acre pond who needs stunted bass removed immediately. And I happen to have a friend who owns a 3 acre pond that he can't catch fish in. So one of these weekends I'm going to organize a fishing party and see about catching as many fish as possible and moving them about an hour away to this smaller pond. Completely unrelated to my pond, but a cool opportunity to get my hands wet in the business either way.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:53 am

at 40 acres, does that still qualify as a pond? And will they have anything to eat in the 3 acre pond? Hopefully it won't upset the balance too greatly to add a number of new fish.

Too bad I don't have a cast net and live closer. Find a way to bring them hungry bass up and catch them like ballyhoo.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:06 pm

scottaa1 wrote:at 40 acres, does that still qualify as a pond? And will they have anything to eat in the 3 acre pond? Hopefully it won't upset the balance too greatly to add a number of new fish.

Too bad I don't have a cast net and live closer. Find a way to bring them hungry bass up and catch them like ballyhoo.

Yeah, I'd consider a 40 acre body of water a lake myself, but he referred to it as a pond, so I guess I will too. Honestly, I haven't visited either of these ponds, but I'm being told from my friend that the forage is there. He thinks there's too much, but I reassured him, when it comes to bass, there is no such thing. The thing that does concern me, regarding the balance, would be the possible absence of bluegill. You basically need bluegill to keep the balance and if he's got as much forage (minnows) as he says, he may not have enough bluegill to sustain a quality bass fishery. We'll have to look into that. The bass we will be misplacing are only 1"-2.5" so they could possibly stock larger bluegill and be ok. They should spawn regardless.

I've never used a siene net or any other trapping method. Would love to electrofish, actually, but don't have that equipment, obviously. So we'll do it old school. I'm sure I can find plenty of volunteers. Knapp? :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:39 pm

where are you located? nebraska? a whole day attempting to catch as many bass as possible? sounds you could use the help of an expert like myself. ;-)
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:where are you located? nebraska? a whole day attempting to catch as many bass as possible? sounds you could use the help of an expert like myself. ;-)

East Nebraska. Yep. I'm currently trying to figure out how to transport them. I can get my hands on a 55 gallon plastic drum, no problem, but I have to oxygenate it obviously. If I thought this would be a regular deal for me I wouldn't mind dropping $300+ on a system, but if it's a one time deal I don't want to go all out.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:46 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:where are you located? nebraska? a whole day attempting to catch as many bass as possible? sounds you could use the help of an expert like myself. ;-)

I htink he said they were only two or three inches long... take your barbi fishing pool. :-D Altho didn't someone catch a racord catfish on a barbi pool? I think maybe knapp or ORS posted that a year or so ago.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 pm

dude scott are you drunk? :-b

EDIT: Oh and check the related topics below. ;-)
viewtopic.php?t=394130
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Metroid wrote:dude scott are you drunk? :-b

viewtopic.php?t=394130

Yeah yeah yeah... I wish. :-b ;-)

I've been sawing down tree limbs with one of those long poles with a saw blade on it, then sawing them up to fit in a trash bin. The activity makes me type about a thousand miles an hour. Unfortunately, it also makes me miss every other letter. :-/
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:48 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Metroid wrote:dude scott are you drunk? :-b

viewtopic.php?t=394130

Yeah yeah yeah... I wish. :-b ;-)

I've been sawing down tree limbs with one of those long poles with a saw blade on it, then sawing them up to fit in a trash bin. The activity makes me type about a thousand miles an hour. Unfortunately, it also makes me miss every other letter. :-/

I've been painting the inside of the new house pretty much non stop for the last 5 days....painting ain't no joke. I haven't done any serious labor since I laid my last block nearly 3 years ago so I'm pretty worn out from it.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:23 pm

My niece and nephew (10 and 12 years old) are coming by the house tomorrow with my sis :-) I picked up a couple of classic zebco combos for them, as well as a couple dozen worms, nightcrawlers, and 'bee moths.' I didn't ask for the later, she simply grabbed them and when I asked she said she'd thought I asked for them. Whatever, panfish supposedly love them. So I'll be doin some fishin' with the kids manana. Also grilling, of course. I'll see if we can snap a couple pics of the action. ;-D
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk