Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:25 pm

scottaa1 wrote:My niece and nephew (10 and 12 years old) are coming by the house tomorrow with my sis :-) I picked up a couple of classic zebco combos for them, as well as a couple dozen worms, nightcrawlers, and 'bee moths.' I didn't ask for the later, she simply grabbed them and when I asked she said she'd thought I asked for them. Whatever, panfish supposedly love them. So I'll be doin some fishin' with the kids manana. Also grilling, of course. I'll see if we can snap a couple pics of the action. ;-D

Never heard of 'bee moths' as bait. I'll have to look that up. Definitely provide any pictures you have of your catch. We spent the weekend at some lakes west of town here and didn't get much, few bluegill. Were hoping for channel cats, but no luck. Saw some nearly 3 foot carp next to the shore, but they wouldn't take any bait. If I would have had a bow and arrow I would have easily had them. Have a blast scott and let us know how it goes. When you say 'worms' and distinguish them from nightcrawlers, are you talking redworms? I haven't had much success with them, but I love how they look on a hook. And I see why a lot of anglers call them red wigglers. They squirm like a, well, like a worm.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:17 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Never heard of 'bee moths' as bait. I'll have to look that up. Definitely provide any pictures you have of your catch. We spent the weekend at some lakes west of town here and didn't get much, few bluegill. Were hoping for channel cats, but no luck. Saw some nearly 3 foot carp next to the shore, but they wouldn't take any bait. If I would have had a bow and arrow I would have easily had them. Have a blast scott and let us know how it goes. When you say 'worms' and distinguish them from nightcrawlers, are you talking redworms? I haven't had much success with them, but I love how they look on a hook. And I see why a lot of anglers call them red wigglers. They squirm like a, well, like a worm.

The bee moths look for all intents and purposes to be your normal grub worm (maggot). No idea how she thought I wanted them. as far as worms versus nightcrawlers... I'm not sure how to make a distinction. Worms are smaller, catchable in the day, the usual little red buggers that you'll turn up with a shovel. Nightcrawlers are harder to catch, they surface at night, are very light phobic, and longer and thicker than a worm.

The little worm fellows, just give them a puncture thru the head, than again thru the tail. The most common mistake is to over-hook them into not being able to move.

FYI, fishing for cats, use chicken liver. Put a chunk on a good sized hook, like a bass hook, toss it out into deep water and let it sit. The cats will swarm.

As for the carp, use a bait made up of crushed cereal flakes mixed with a stink, like rum extract or vanilla extract. Mold a ball of it around the hook, toss it to them, and hold on. Carp are very fun to catch. They're not a glamour fish, but think of them as a freshwater sportfish.

Will post more manana
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:04 pm

scottaa1 wrote:FYI, fishing for cats, use chicken liver. Put a chunk on a good sized hook, like a bass hook, toss it out into deep water and let it sit. The cats will swarm.

This is exactly what we did most of the night. Big chunks of chicken liver in panty hose, so they stay on the hook. The only times the bells rung, I think were just fish running into the line because they didn't ring for long, nothing stuck, and our bait remained intact.

scottaa1 wrote:As for the carp, use a bait made up of crushed cereal flakes mixed with a stink, like rum extract or vanilla extract. Mold a ball of it around the hook, toss it to them, and hold on. Carp are very fun to catch. They're not a glamour fish, but think of them as a freshwater sportfish.

Wish I would have known that the other night. I was tossing everything we had at our disposal, right in front of this fish. I could see him plain as day and he wasn't interested in any of my offerings.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:07 am

Never imagined I'd say this to you, but remove your panty hose, ORS. :-b

Those whiskers on cats are sensory organs, they probably felt the nylon or something in the nylon smelled odd. And what's the point of using panty hose to keep the liver on the hook if nothing is going to eat it? Try it without and see if your results change. Can troubleshoot more from there. I have heard of the panty hose thing before, though, so it's not some huge oddity... makes me wonder.

And for the carp balls, use water mostly to mash up the cereal flakes (bland corn flakes), then add the smell. Upon rereading, my earlier post wasn't very clear. I'm pretty sure it was rum extract we used to use, not vanilla.

Time to get some fishing poles put together and sacrifice some wyrms!!
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:05 am

scottaa1 wrote:Never imagined I'd say this to you, but remove your panty hose, ORS. :-b

Haha, yeah, I've gotten some strange looks in the past and when I say, seriously, this is for fishing, I get a "Yeah right" look.

scottaa1 wrote:Those whiskers on cats are sensory organs, they probably felt the nylon or something in the nylon smelled odd. And what's the point of using panty hose to keep the liver on the hook if nothing is going to eat it? Try it without and see if your results change. Can troubleshoot more from there. I have heard of the panty hose thing before, though, so it's not some huge oddity... makes me wonder.

I tried with and without the pantyhose. Later in the evening when I got tired of tying the hose I started just baiting the naked liver. Same result. :-[

My 2-year old niece has caught more (and bigger) fish than I have this year. :-° :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:06 pm

What a great, wonderful, fun, fantastic day. Every day should be this much fun.

Lots of pics to sort through, but for now, smiles say it all. My niece, sis, and nephew.

scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Look forward to your 'haul'. :-D

I decided a few days ago to see about getting an aquarium and stocking some NE native fishes, just for fun and educational purposes. Today we caught 6 bluegill (I think one's a hybrid) and a bunch of baby bullheads. I have salamanders, crayfish, and a ton of minnows in there too and they all look to be doing very well. The kids had a blast at this one very large local lake that has been recently renovated and newly stocked. You aren't going to catch anything of decent size, but there's a ton of fish biting whatever you throw out there (evidence being that I caught some 8-o ) so the kids have a blast just simply catching fish after fish. Good time. And I know a guy who can get a few little gars for me to stock in my 135 gallon tank too. Very fun to watch.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:59 pm

A few pics from Saturday. Don't want to overwhelm the servers with all the pics I took. :-) We had 4 dozen live baits, for every bait that was stolen, there were baits that were used more than once, and several fish caught on hooks with no bait on them at all. So the haul for the day was over 50 fish I'd reckon. First pic is the feeding frenzy we created, I don't think they mind being caught and released so long as there's a worm in it for them. Then a pic of the niece with one, and then the nephew. Only saw two bass hooked during the day. Nephew caught a baby one, and then had another one on the line, but it spit the hook - which actually had a small bluegill on it, so the bass had just swallowed the bluegill and didn't want to let it go.

scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:46 pm

Biting hooks with no bait?! Man, what a pond huh. 50+ fish is an awesome outing, especially for the kids. Keeps them busy and excited catching fish after fish. Looks like a nice manicured pond there. I like the picture of your niece in the background of the last pic so intently putting a worm on her hook. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Biting hooks with no bait?! Man, what a pond huh. 50+ fish is an awesome outing, especially for the kids. Keeps them busy and excited catching fish after fish. Looks like a nice manicured pond there. I like the picture of your niece in the background of the last pic so intently putting a worm on her hook. :-D

Yeah they got here a little after noon, unwrapped some presents, then fished for hours, grilled some dinner, fished more, and then fed bread to the ducks and fish at sunset. And yep, once the bluegills knew there was food galore, they threw caution to the wind and ate anything that came into the water (including fingers). Early on my nephew was OK with taking fish off the hook and baiting the worms, my niece not so much. Any mention of baiting a worm was met with "Ewwww!!" :-b So I had him helping me remove fish/bait hooks, and his sister and my sister were doing the diva thing.

I got him an airsoft machine gun, so he was shooting his gun as much as he was fishing. My driveway is covered with those biodegradable BBs. :-)
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk