Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:22 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Biting hooks with no bait?! Man, what a pond huh. 50+ fish is an awesome outing, especially for the kids. Keeps them busy and excited catching fish after fish. Looks like a nice manicured pond there. I like the picture of your niece in the background of the last pic so intently putting a worm on her hook. :-D

Yeah they got here a little after noon, unwrapped some presents, then fished for hours, grilled some dinner, fished more, and then fed bread to the ducks and fish at sunset. And yep, once the bluegills knew there was food galore, they threw caution to the wind and ate anything that came into the water (including fingers). Early on my nephew was OK with taking fish off the hook and baiting the worms, my niece not so much. Any mention of baiting a worm was met with "Ewwww!!" :-b So I had him helping me remove fish/bait hooks, and his sister and my sister were doing the diva thing.

I got him an airsoft machine gun, so he was shooting his gun as much as he was fishing. My driveway is covered with those biodegradable BBs. :-)

Sounds like a great time scott, one that none of you will forget for a long time. My boy always helps some of the girls that come along with us fishing too and he's getting pretty good. Got to handle (and get stung) by those baby bullheads the other day so that was an experience for him. Figured it out eventually. You're a cool uncle getting your nephew an airsoft machine gun. At least you let him litter up your driveway huh. But now you can clean it up and just imagine what he terror he's inflicting at your sister's (right?) house. :-b

EDIT - one too many t's in scott's name... :-B
Last edited by Omaha Red Sox on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:41 pm

We avoided catfish for that very reason, didn't want anyone getting cut by the spines. Cats are fun to catch but not for the uninitiated who don't know how to handle them... I'll teach him that in the coming years.

He was shooting the aluminum garage door, a very satisfying PLING PLING PLING from his gun. Not long after they left I sent the bro-in-law a couple pics and told him 'BTW, we should buy stock in the company that makes those BBs'

And as for their drive home to Chicago, I wouldn't want to be my niece sitting next to Airborne Andy with his trigger finger :-b
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:48 pm

The proud uncle flaunting his pics. :-) Took this of my niece as she watched her mom/brother splashing around the bluegills. Notice the earrings, I got her those :-) smiley hearts just like hers

Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 pm

scottaa1 wrote:We avoided catfish for that very reason, didn't want anyone getting cut by the spines. Cats are fun to catch but not for the uninitiated who don't know how to handle them... I'll teach him that in the coming years.

I'm a learn-it-the-hard-way type dad so he got a little barb once. Not that I didn't tell him how to hold it, but he's got a mind of his own and thought he knew better. For a couple seconds...he held the next one like Dad said to. :-D

scottaa1 wrote:He was shooting the aluminum garage door, a very satisfying PLING PLING PLING from his gun. Not long after they left I sent the bro-in-law a couple pics and told him 'BTW, we should buy stock in the company that makes those BBs'

That does sound like fun. Will have to let my boy do that. Maybe print out a target or something.

scottaa1 wrote:And as for their drive home to Chicago, I wouldn't want to be my niece sitting next to Airborne Andy with his trigger finger :-b

That poor girl. Did you get her goggles? :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:06 am

scottaa1 wrote:
He was shooting the aluminum garage door, a very satisfying PLING PLING PLING from his gun. Not long after they left I sent the bro-in-law a couple pics and told him 'BTW, we should buy stock in the company that makes those BBs'

Ahh, nothin' like a good ricochet. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Guru13 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Any progress lately?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Yeah, a lot. I'll try to update when I get a chance.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:51 pm

Had an experienced pondmeister come out and discuss things with me today and it was very cool. Some good news on our progress and the near future plans, but what I'm excited about is making this new friendship. Basically, he's a world renowned bluegill expert, has a gene strand named after him and I've been promised as many of these bluegill as I want when I'm ready to stock. Awesome. These things can get to 2-3 pounds. He told me to get used the taste of big bluegill.

Anyway, here's a single picture of it's current condition. We'll be out there after baseball tomorrow again to get more done. Working on the perimeter still and I'm being told it's all downhill once that's complete. Can't wait.

Good news on the water supply too. Looks like we can purchase or rent a pump and simply take from the creek and it could be full within 2 weeks. Down the road, of course, but I'm an optimist.

:-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Ok, not an update on my pond, but I've recently been given an opportunity to help out another pond owner. He's got a 3.5 acre pond that simply won't hold fish. Not sure what the problem is, since I haven't visited the location yet, but it's becoming quickly apparent it wasn't managed properly. Stocked wild fish, didn't record what and when was stocked. Have a lot of questions and I'm going to get out there with a seine and see what we find. Very fun opportunity for me though. And I have some sources for stocking if he wants to save money so that's cool.

Here's a picture of the location.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:39 pm

A lot of work getting done on the pond now. Have the perimeter pretty much complete and should look really good after a weekend of work.

And the kid figured out spinnerbaits this afternoon and it'll be difficult getting him to use anything else I'm afraid. Caught double digit bass in only an hour and a half at our 'secret' hole in the ground.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk