Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:15 am

LT Blue Colt wrote:One like this ( http://www.boatinglife.com/product.jsp? ... ntID=25179 ) is very common for my area, Michigan. A friend of mine has one, with the 4.3 liter Vortec V-6, and I think it's just a great boat. The engine always gave us plenty of power with 3 in the boat, and one behind on a wakeboard. I know Four Winns has been making them for a few years, and if you're looking for a used one, it shouldn't be too hard to find one. My moms husband has had quite a few different boats ranging from 20' - 26' for the Great Lakes. We've always used them just for fishing for salmon. But, I know if you start getting into 24' -26' or above, you want a good truck ( above a half ton ) for towing the thing. I think that's another reason I always like the style of the Four Winns. You can at least tow it with an SUV if need be. As far as myself, I own a 12'-er with a 1962 Johnson 5 horse motor. It's my fish killing machine. Good luck, Omaha! ;-D

Those are some nice boats there. I like this one a lot. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:24 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
LT Blue Colt wrote:One like this ( http://www.boatinglife.com/product.jsp? ... ntID=25179 ) is very common for my area, Michigan. A friend of mine has one, with the 4.3 liter Vortec V-6, and I think it's just a great boat. The engine always gave us plenty of power with 3 in the boat, and one behind on a wakeboard. I know Four Winns has been making them for a few years, and if you're looking for a used one, it shouldn't be too hard to find one. My moms husband has had quite a few different boats ranging from 20' - 26' for the Great Lakes. We've always used them just for fishing for salmon. But, I know if you start getting into 24' -26' or above, you want a good truck ( above a half ton ) for towing the thing. I think that's another reason I always like the style of the Four Winns. You can at least tow it with an SUV if need be. As far as myself, I own a 12'-er with a 1962 Johnson 5 horse motor. It's my fish killing machine. Good luck, Omaha! ;-D

Those are some nice boats there. I like this one a lot. ;-D

That's a big boat. Easily fit on the Great Lakes no problem, if you ever get up here. Really nice though. You could park that thing an sleep over night in it. My family has done that, at the Fox islands in Lake Michigan. That would also work good for big inland lakes. Not sure on rivers. You probably have bigger rivers where you're at. I would definitly want at least a 3/4 ton pickup for hauling it around though. If you got something like that cool. I don't know if you guys have those auto and boat swapper magazines where you're at, but that's my favorite place to first look for new and used toys. ;-D
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Fishing / Ft Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:31 am

We went fishing yesterday and it’s quickly dawning on me that I know next to nothing about the sport. We caught nothing but a bluegill while the guy on the other side of the land pier was catching 10 pound catfish.

So I’m talking to the guy and he apparently makes his own stink bait while we were using worms and shrimp. And cheap poles to boot.

Any experienced fishermen here at the Café? If so, what tips do you have for certain types of fish? The wife and kid love to fish so I’m trying to learn a little more. I never really cared for it much, but figure I better figure it out if they want to keep taking me out there.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Re: Fishing

Postby moonhead » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:49 am

i had friends that said if you soak hot dogs in strawberry soda and cut them up that the catfish can't resist them. i dunno. that's just what they said.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:59 am

moonhead wrote:i had friends that said if you soak hot dogs in strawberry soda and cut them up that the catfish can't resist them. i dunno. that's just what they said.

I've heard of hot dog, but not the strawberry soda part, but apparently it's not an unknown idea. I found this "recipe" online for catching catfish.

Sure Fire Bait
Ingredients:
4 to 5 cups of crushed corn flakes.
1/4 cup vanilla abstract
1 cup Big Red (or any strawberry soda)

Preparation:
Mix the crushed corn flakes and ingredients into a microwavable bowl and microwave for 6 minutes.
Let stand for 10 minutes.
Mix well and make into small balls.
Note: If mixture is not firm enough to remain on a treble hook, add more crushed corn flakes.

http://www.bobberstop.com/baitrecipes.html
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:25 pm

That corn flake recipe is a common carp bait as well. If you want to catch channel cats (the ones with the white bellies), chicken liver is an excellent bait. Just be carefull taking a catfish off the hook, they can spine you.

Bluegills are pretty easy. Use a bobber, put a piece of a worm on a smallish hook, and toss it closer to the edge of the pond. Have the bobber far enough above the hook that the bait will hang down to where the fish are, but not hit the bottom. Then when you get a nibble, wait until the bobber is actually pulled under water before setting the hook with a quick, short yank.

For bass, I like articial worms. I use a brand called Culprit and rig them weedless on a shank hook. I catch 3 to 4 pound largemouth in my pond on them. That's a good fight on light tackle. Bass fishing takes more finesse though, since there's no bobber you have to learn to feel what can be a very light bite. You can also use topwater spinners or poppers for a more dramatic and obvious strike, and rigging a jighead hook with an artificial grub with a moderate retrieval speed works well on bodies of water where there's not much surface action. Have to experiment with color combinations to see what they like, visibility in the water, etc.

And then there's more obvious things that some people don't consider, like don't be throwing rocks in the water where you're trying to fish. I don't even go on to the rocks that border the pond to avoid making noise, and I tend to wear colors that blend with the background so they don't see me (bass don't get big by being dumb). Use laser-sharpened hooks. Don't smear insect repellent or anything all over yourself and then handle the bait, the fish will pick up on the odor.

I prefer to use spinning reels, if you're pan fishing, a baitcaster works just fine. Use line strength appropriate for your target; don't use 20 pound test when fishing for bluegill. Learn how to properly set the drag on the reel. If using lead weights, use an appropriate size (don't need an ounce of lead to make a half a worm sink) and place it a little bit above the bait, but not too far, or it can end up on the bottom and when you do get a bite, you'll be striking against the sinker, not the fish.

freshwater fishing's pretty simple when you're not going for big or exotic game. Start with the bluegills, then get some better equipment to start targeting larger stuff and more finesse fish. Alot of people think fishing is for drunken idiots, but I personally enjoy the quiet time around the water, and I absolutely love the sound of a fish pulling line off the reel.

Next week: slow-trolling for sailfish. ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Guru13 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:26 pm

well first of all, fishing aint a sport, it a pasttime, and a good one at that. What are you trying to catch? Catfish are easy, go in the evening/night (night's better), you can use just about any meat you can find (or run to the local tackle shop and pick up some stinky nasty crap) put your sinker a foot or more up from your hook, cast and let it sit on the bottom. They are bottom feeders and basically inhale anything that smells good (depends how you define good). Bass are a little more tricky, it takes a bit more skill to land a good size bass, there are a million different lures you can use, but my two favorites are:

Topwater -
this popper has basically never failed me
http://www.lurenet.com/productdetail.aspx?id=5077

that of course has two treble hooks and a white tail on it when you buy it.

Other Lures -
banjo minnows
this things are insane, they aren't even allowed on pro bass fishing tours.
http://www.banjominnowstore.com/store/product/454

hope I was atleast a bit of help. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:29 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Next week: slow-trolling for sailfish. ;-D

:-b

we did some trolling for bluefish while in NC this year, that's a blast.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm

ORS, what are you fishing in, a stream, river, pond, lake?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:15 pm

scottaa1 wrote:ORS, what are you fishing in, a stream, river, pond, lake?

It's a relatively small lake, but it's very quiet, not as well known (not on Google Maps), and loaded with fish (even though we didn't catch anything :-B ).

Thanks for all the tips scott. We broke a few of those rules yesterday. The insect repellant one and the kid was not just throwing rocks (though we made him stop), but actually in the water some of the time. Yeah, we were destined to go home empty handed.

Guru wrote:well first of all, fishing aint a sport, it a pasttime, and a good one at that.

:-b I had sport in parenthesis at first, but took them off. :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk