Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:17 pm

wow. Looking back to the original picks of the site you picked, it's barely recognizable. How deep is that?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:17 pm

scottaa1 wrote:wow. Looking back to the original picks of the site you picked, it's barely recognizable. How deep is that?

Right now, and it's kind of hard to tell from the pics, but it's a pretty even 6 foot bowl right now. Take a couple feet off of that, make sure the banks are sealed with clay, then it's contouring time for me. Make some deeper drop offs, trenches, ridges, etc. Coming together pretty nice, even if it is a little behind schedule.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:42 pm

A couple of the more recent panoramic views...

140+ loads of dirt...about 100 left to go...

And just because it's pretty... This is the trail that runs north and south just east of the pond. It was an old railroad at one time, long before we ever stepped foot on the property.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:48 pm

Went ice fishing for the first time early this afternoon. Good fun, I can definitely see what all the hype is all about. Will have to invest in some equipment to get my winter fix. Anybody else ice fish? If so, what do you target and how? We were hitting the trout pretty good using minnows. And not even very deep. The spot we were was only 8 feet to the bottom and we were a foot or so off of that. Would love to get into some good gills and crappie.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:14 am

Is there any fight in the fish in that cold water? I've never ice fished, so I don't know how it affects them.

When I was in high school I lived by Morse lake in central Indiana, and I'd ride my snowmobile on it when it froze good and heavy. I'd spot people out there on the ice and stop and ask if they needed help. Nope, they were ice fishin.

I've always thought that ice fishing was for guys who had really bad marriages.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:36 am

scottaa1 wrote:Is there any fight in the fish in that cold water? I've never ice fished, so I don't know how it affects them.

Typically no. They are very lethargic, and can be difficult to attract. And there lies the challenge.

scottaa1 wrote:When I was in high school I lived by Morse lake in central Indiana, and I'd ride my snowmobile on it when it froze good and heavy. I'd spot people out there on the ice and stop and ask if they needed help. Nope, they were ice fishin.

I've always thought that ice fishing was for guys who had really bad marriages.

Haha, probably because wives don't typically like the cold huh. My wife has made it very clear that she will not be accompanying us when we're out on the ice.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:30 pm

New Years Day on the ice...

And earlier today...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:32 am

A sig Met did for me for pond specific forum. Thanks dude.

An update on planning. With this weather we haven't been able to do anything physically, but my mind's still very much at work. I've changed the plan from largemouth bass and bluegill to smallmouth bass, yellow perch, and hybrid striped bass. Google them. They're awesome. They're higher maintenance, but I can catch a LMB or BG within 5 minutes of anywhere. I have to travel 4-6 hours to catch a smallie or YP. And if you've ever caught a smallie, you know why I decided to put in the extra work.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:31 pm

No problem man. When/if you have some different pics lemmie know and I'll see if I can make something with a little more flash. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:21 pm

I might have something for you in the future, because it seems like we might be changing up our plans a bit. We were going to go with the main species of fish being largemouth bass and bluegill, the staples of a common fishery. Instead, we're leaning towards smallmouth bass and yellow perch. Reason being, I can go anywhere within 5 minutes and catch a largemouth, but I'd have to travel 4-6 hours to get smallmouth or yellow perch. They're just not around here. I know it doesn't sound like that big a deal, but it really is. Much more expensive too. Smallmouths are super expensive fish to stock. They're about a dollar an inch. EACH.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk