Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Image
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:45 am

Had some free time at the parent's lake after everyone left yesterday, so I took my daughter out and we threw some lines off the dock. Caught a 12-inch bass, and it was COLD - it felt like it had just come out of the fridge.

It was a really nice night - warm, no breeze, pretty sunset. Good time hanging out with my girl. ;-D
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:20 am

Nicely done Lance! No pictures of the girl and her fish? :-C ;-)

Bass this time of year, up here, can be very difficult to catch, especially larger ones. Largemouths are considered a warm water fish, so their metabolism slows down tremendously when the water gets cold. So you need to slow down your presentation if you want to have a shot at catching one. I've caught a few on open water this year and a couple through the ice as well, but nothing with any size. That will hopefully change this weekend, however, when I get to hit a private pit near Palmyra. ;-)

The other day we caught a few of these...

Image

Yellow bass. An incredibly invasive species here in the Midwest. Can absolutely ruin a lake. I knew they were in this lake, but this was the first time catching them and was very disappointed to do so. Another large local lake had to be completely drained and renovated because of this fish. :-[

An update on the pond, it's holding water nicely...except I don't want it to yet, since we're only about halfway done. So I'll be buying a pump and/or renting a backho to get the water out of there so we can resume work on it.

Image

On an aside note, a buddy of mine made the cover of this month's issue of In-Fisherman. Pretty cool. He raises monster bluegill and wipers around Lincoln. That's him in the bottom left. And yes, he grows bluegill 2+ pounds. 8-o

Image
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 am

Lance, if your daughter (and yourself ;-) ) are interested in fishing, there are a number of events going on this summer in and around Lincoln. One in particular is called Carp-O-Rama. I'm not a carp angler myself, but apparently this event is like none other. Carp put up one heckuva fight and they "prepare" the lake beforehand to make it super easy for kids to catch these fish. We're definitely doing it. I can only imagine the look on my boy's face when he gets one of them on the end of his line. I can let you know for sure on date and location when it's officially announced if you're interested.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:11 am

Absolutely! Let me know. She's really into fishing. Grandpa took her out last year and they caught some catfish, then fried them for dinner, and she still talks about how great that was. I don't have any poles or anything, so I'll be getting that this week. I want to take her out to some of the lakes around Lincoln. There's a lake on the abandoned Air Force base not far from here that they recently cleaned up and restocked.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:42 am

knapplc wrote:Absolutely! Let me know. She's really into fishing. Grandpa took her out last year and they caught some catfish, then fried them for dinner, and she still talks about how great that was. I don't have any poles or anything, so I'll be getting that this week. I want to take her out to some of the lakes around Lincoln. There's a lake on the abandoned Air Force base not far from here that they recently cleaned up and restocked.


That's awesome Lance. I'm a Certified Youth Fishing Instructor with the NE Fish & Game so they let me know about these events as they're announced. There are some really good waters in and around Lincoln. Pawnee and Branched Oak are both really good for kids. Let me know how you do at the old AF base...and where it is. :-D ;-)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm a Certified Youth Fishing Instructor with the NE Fish & Game


Whaaaa?? :-* aren't you the one that just last summer didn't know not to fish where people are swimming, because it scares the fish? ;-7

Carp can be pretty fun to catch. When I lived on Morse lake north of Indy I'd catch five pounders on light tackle and they bent the rod plenty. They're not gunna jump and put on a show for ya. There are carp clubs around here though and they go to the length of mapping the bottom of the lake, using catapults to launch their bait to certain spots, or delivering it there with a RC boat. And electronic bite sensors to monitor your pole so you cacn sit by the hooch with Cletus and the other good ole boys and get good and liquored while you fish in your 'carp' tournament. ;-D

That's a bummer about it filling before you wanted it to. Could be a huge headache to keep it dry enough to excavate the next couple months. Good luck.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again. It aint right to go messin with bluegills and start super-sizing them. I've seen Resident Evil, I know how all that stit sharts.
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:55 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm a Certified Youth Fishing Instructor with the NE Fish & Game


Whaaaa?? :-* aren't you the one that just last summer didn't know not to fish where people are swimming, because it scares the fish? ;-7


I have learned a TON man. I'm starting to get to the point where I can catch the fish I want to catch, when I want to catch them, despite conditions. There's still a lot of species I have yet to figure out, but we've been nailing the ones in the area.

scottaa1 wrote:Carp can be pretty fun to catch. When I lived on Morse lake north of Indy I'd catch five pounders on light tackle and they bent the rod plenty. They're not gunna jump and put on a show for ya. There are carp clubs around here though and they go to the length of mapping the bottom of the lake, using catapults to launch their bait to certain spots, or delivering it there with a RC boat. And electronic bite sensors to monitor your pole so you cacn sit by the hooch with Cletus and the other good ole boys and get good and liquored while you fish in your 'carp' tournament. ;-D


Yeah, like I said I'm not much of a carp angler. Or catfish for that matter. I don't care to sit for too long and that's what you generally have to do with those. I will try to add each species to my list this year, but I won't spend a great deal of time targeting them. Though flatheads are on my short list of goals this year, along with a smallie, redear, and wiper. ;-)

scottaa1 wrote:That's a bummer about it filling before you wanted it to. Could be a huge headache to keep it dry enough to excavate the next couple months. Good luck.


I suggested to my dirt guy (which generally goes in one ear and out the other :-° ), that we should get a backho and trench out this one corner that would drain to the creek. He was actually receptive to that idea so we'll see where it goes. For the time being, I think I'll buy a trash pump, since we'll need one to eventually fill anyway.

scottaa1 wrote:I've said it before and I'm saying it again. It aint right to go messin with bluegills and start super-sizing them. I've seen Resident Evil, I know how all that stit sharts.


Queue Jaws theme....

Image
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:04 am

Just to be officially official, I bought my first fishing license ever. Omaha - do you know if kids under 10 have to have licenses to fish?
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 am

knapplc wrote:Just to be officially official, I bought my first fishing license ever. Omaha - do you know if kids under 10 have to have licenses to fish?


Anybody under the age of 16 can fish without a license as long as they are fishing with a licensed adult. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 21:36 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact