Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 09, 2010 1:03 pm

No skirt, just crawler. I fished with the guy who was on the cover of In-Fisherman magazine recently and this is his prefered method and I'm now sold on it as well.

1 channel catfish
1 hybrid bluegill
1 wiper
1 largemouth bass
20+ bluegill
15+ golden shiners
7 yellow perch
7 redear sunfish
5 smallmouth bass
1 monster crappie

Yeah, it was pretty awesome. All that in only a couple hours time between 2 ponds.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon May 10, 2010 10:54 pm

I love fishing but don't get to do it much. I enjoy lake fishing off of a boat or shore for Bass the most. I also used to use my tube when I lived on a lake. Couple of beers, my vities, and small pack of Rapala lures and fake worms sets me straight every time.

I also enjoy stream fishing for trout. Haven't ever fished for bigger Salmon or anything like that but I want to some day.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby scottaa1 » Sun May 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Got a line wet earlier. Was just using a whitehead jig and various colors of grubs. Caught a few big bluegill and small bass. Was mostly just a reason to get out in the sun. I caught a bass using bacon as bait :-L so add bass bait to bacon's already impressive resume.

I'm always out of town this weekend. It's nice having the time to just chill out this time around. :-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:45 am

Glad you got out Scott. I did too for a couple hours yesterday. Was hoping for some drum or maybe even a carp, just for fun, but ended up "settling" for some sizable bluegill instead. And got a pretty good sunburn too. !+) Oh, and I will never hit the water without a worm again. Gulp Alive minnows work great, but are limiting, compared to the versatility of a good red wiggler.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:40 pm

New state record was set recently in Indiana. I'm tempted to load up the car and head for that lake. I'd always thought that stripers were coastal fish, but they've apparently been stocked in various lakes. The previous record was caught in the Ohio river, so I guess there's a couple of nearby sources.

(Photo/Indiana Department of Natural Resources)

Jonathan VanHook, 39, hauled in a 39.08-pound state-record striped bass recently at Raccoon Reservoir (Cecil M. Harden Lake) in Parke County.

DNR fisheries biologist Rhett Wisener said he’s not surprised by the size of VanHook’s striper even though since striped bass were first stocked there in 1994 the typical fish collected in research surveys are much smaller.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:42 pm

That's crazy that you posted that man. Got a text yesterday about it from an Indiana buddy of mine who knows this guy and is looking to source some stripers. Crazy!
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:31 am

Keeping this as updated as possible, especially with pictures...

We will (hopefully) be pumping this dry very soon so we can resume digging and I thought it'd be fun to get a couple kids out there and see if we could catch us some tadpoles. My son dubbed this Operation: Pollywag Recovery.

No kidding, we caught near a thousand I'd guess. Simply "seining" with minnow nets. All different sizes of tadpoles. I tossed them into an aquarium at home to observe (and to feed my other fish).

Once we thought the bucket had reached its carrying capacity...

Water was very warm on the surface and gradually cooled as you got deeper. Very nice.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:52 pm

I went out with Dad yesterday at their lake. Caught a few small bass, but nothing worth writing home about. I kept getting a big hit in this one spot, but I couldn't hook whatever was yanking my line down. It could have been a bluegill or a 5-lb cat for all I know. :-b

It was just good getting out with my Dad and throwing some lines in. Haven't done that for a while.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:06 pm

knapplc wrote:I went out with Dad yesterday at their lake. Caught a few small bass, but nothing worth writing home about. I kept getting a big hit in this one spot, but I couldn't hook whatever was yanking my line down. It could have been a bluegill or a 5-lb cat for all I know. :-b

It was just good getting out with my Dad and throwing some lines in. Haven't done that for a while.

That's good stuff man. It's always a good thing when you catch fish, even if they're smaller than the lure you caught them on. :-D

What were you throwing?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:12 pm

The things on the bottom of this pic. Not sure what they're called.

How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk