Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Those be jigs dude! Jigs are my go-to lure by far. Caught all 10 species of fish that one weekend day on a jig and a piece of nightcrawler. I almost exclusively use jigs anymore. Such a versatile lure, you can basically catch anything that swims.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:46 pm

knapplc wrote:The things on the bottom of this pic. Not sure what they're called.

those are jigs, with an artificial grub. Very versatile in both selection of colors for the grub and the jig head, as well as retrieval methods.

ORS, I saw the tadpole pic on my phone and couldn't make it out too well... Seeing it bigger here, can you imagine how quick fish are going to grow with all that fresh food available? You may want to experiment using tadpoles as bait. :-?

At least ya got a swimmin' hole for the time being. all that recent rain hasn't helped getting a dozer back in there, I'm sure :-/ we're have daily flood warnings.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:53 pm

scottaa1 wrote:ORS, I saw the tadpole pic on my phone and couldn't make it out too well... Seeing it bigger here, can you imagine how quick fish are going to grow with all that fresh food available? You may want to experiment using tadpoles as bait. :-?

At least ya got a swimmin' hole for the time being. all that recent rain hasn't helped getting a dozer back in there, I'm sure :-/ we're have daily flood warnings.

I was getting conflicting reports on tadpoles as bait. Some seem to think a lot of fish won't like the taste. I had never heard either side, although I know that there is a reason why, in a quality bass fishery, you will not see very many frogs. There's a reason for that. And a reason why frog lures catch fish too. But, yeah, I was very excited when I first saw those tadpoles and realized just how many we had there too. I mean, we seriously just walked around with a minnow net like a seine and it would come up full. That's how thick they were. Of course, that's because of the absence of a predator, but yes, very happy to have some fish food that I didn't have to buy or stock.

Yeah, this constant rain is a pain in the
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Being out in the country and with that stream running right by you'll get alot of crayfish, too. And since you're in a wooded area probably alot of insects. You'll end up getting more surface action because they're used to topfeeding. There's zilch top action in my pond. A few years back when there was that huge cicada outbreak, I was sitting upstairs and watched a cicada land about 25 out in the pond and proceed to buzz its wings on the water so loud it was like a vuvuzela. I didn't figure it would last 5 seconds, but it took the better part of a minute for a big bass to slowly materialize underneath it, slowly float up and finally eat it.

At work there is a wing of the cafeteria that is sunken down right next to the pond. We watch the dragonfly's bounce off the glass and into the water. At least 6+ fish lunge for them every single time and the insect doesn't last half a second. that's what ya want, it's great for throwing crickets out there.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:27 pm

I thought they were jigs, but I wasn't sure so I found a pic. :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:46 am

scottaa1 wrote:Being out in the country and with that stream running right by you'll get alot of crayfish, too. And since you're in a wooded area probably alot of insects.

I will be adding plenty of rocky habitat to encourage a crayfish population. I love crustaceans. And smallies love them too. Have you ever heard of grass (or PK) shrimp? Buddy in Lincoln is growing them like mad in the pondweed that lines his pond. They are the coolest things. I intend to dig small holes in the ground (about the size of a car), specifically for growing additional forage for myself and other pond owners. Fathead minnows, golden shiners, gambusia, and PK shrimp. This pondweed he's got is perfect stuff. It doesn't get caught in a net like algae does and provides excellent cover for these guys. And look at this critter. Think of how easy it is for a fish to fatten up on something like that.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:47 am

Freshwater shrimp?? Those would be awesome bait. I wonder what they taste like?
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 am

scottaa1 wrote:Freshwater shrimp?? Those would be awesome bait. I wonder what they taste like?

Never heard. They're really small. I googled for that picture because most, from my friend's pond, are only an inch or so long at the most. So a great forage base for anything with gills.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:54 pm

Caught six or seven bass at the parent's lake today. Tossed 'em all back though. The biggest was maybe two pounds. Those jigs are great!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:16 am

knapplc wrote:Caught six or seven bass at the parent's lake today. Tossed 'em all back though. The biggest was maybe two pounds. Those jigs are great!

Woohoo! You're getting it man! What depth are you catching them? Bouncing them on the bottom or dancing them at varying depths?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk