Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 03, 2011 8:34 pm

I should get to do some bowfishing for carp soon. We know someone who eats them or else we wouldn't do it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I should get to do some bowfishing for carp soon. We know someone who eats them or else we wouldn't do it.

bowfishing? that's like spearfishing but you get to stay dry, right?

I know there's no ocean handy in Nebraska, but if you ever get the chance to spearfish (you'd want to do it with a guide, don't just buy a gun and go jump in the ocean), it's a memorable experience.

I hope to have enough free time this weekend (and enough dry time, is this rain gunna break any time soon??? ) to get a line wet. I think those bass in the pond are getting a little too smug. Speaking of, how's the work on your pond going?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Yeah, pretty much like spearfishing but staying dry. It’s basically a spool hooked to a compound bow. I’ve never been so it should be interesting.

Ugh, the pond. We had some hang ups so it’s slow going. Will be going full steam ahead here very soon. Meeting with another dirt guy tonight actually.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon May 23, 2011 8:49 am

Had the pleasure of introducing a kid to fishing this weekend. Almost 12 years old and he’d never been fishing before. He was excited. Not only did he catch his first fish, but he caught the most fish and the most impressive fish, even with the slow bite.

And his second fish was a nice one at nearly 9".

Caught his first LMB that day too.

My boy got into the action as well, catching a few LMB and this pretty bluegill.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Got a line wet today (and plenty of sun!). We're having our first hot weather. The smaller largemouths were biting left and right. Used a white jig head with a neon yellow grub. casting perpendicular to the shore got alot of fish, and so did casting out towards the center of the pond. there were more than a few cases where I'd cast out, pause to let it sink, and be bit when I first started taking up slack. And three or four times when I'd catch/release a fish, and hook another one on the next cast. Gotta love that :-)
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Gotta love outings like that. How's your thumb? ;) Had a chance last August to fish a pond. Took my boy and his friend with me and caught over 50 bass in 2 hours. Yeah, most were in the 13-18 range, but the kids didn't care.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:04 pm

Oh another thing - the biggest one I caught today had company. I could see the fish I had hooked as I was negotiating it through the moss and such, and there was another bass of the same size following it side by side. Right up to where I grabbed the one I hooked by the lower lip, I coulda grabbed the other bass as well. I'm not sure if that's a mating thing, or if the second fish was just hoping the first fish would spit whatever it had eaten, or what.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:10 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote: Yeah, most were in the 13-18 range, but the kids didn't care.

It's all about the time spent and the fun catching, as you already know my friend. Most of what I caught today didn't even draw any drag until I loosened it up. Those bass jumped all over the place and five or six spit the hook, which is ok with me. Man it just feels good to get out there and enjoy the peace, even if it is a retention pond!
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:30 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Oh another thing - the biggest one I caught today had company. I could see the fish I had hooked as I was negotiating it through the moss and such, and there was another bass of the same size following it side by side. Right up to where I grabbed the one I hooked by the lower lip, I coulda grabbed the other bass as well. I'm not sure if that's a mating thing, or if the second fish was just hoping the first fish would spit whatever it had eaten, or what.

Classic case of bass gluttony dude! Bluegill are observers. They'll watch what the others do first. Bass, largemouth, if they see one of their friends go after a meal, they'll go after it with even more enthusiasm. That's why sometimes, when sight fishing, you end up with the small 'bystander', I.e. smaller fish, instead of the toad you were drawing on.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Headed to a friends place on the lake this weekend (Sun-Tue) and if the water level is down enough to get the wharf in the water we will have the boat out too and see what we can get.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk