Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:30 pm

lmcjaho wrote:Headed to a friends place on the lake this weekend (Sun-Tue) and if the water level is down enough to get the wharf in the water we will have the boat out too and see what we can get.

Awesome! What are you going after up there? Pike? Muskie?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Awesome! What are you going after up there? Pike? Muskie?

Uhh, fish?

Honestly I have no idea what's up there, although I am sure Pike and Muskie are among the choices.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:24 pm

lmcjaho wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Awesome! What are you going after up there? Pike? Muskie?

Uhh, fish?

Honestly I have no idea what's up there, although I am sure Pike and Muskie are among the choices.

...and walleye, yellow perch, smallies, man, this is why everyone down here is jealous of you up there. And why some of these species are being stocked in my pond. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:52 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:...and walleye, yellow perch, smallies, man, this is why everyone down here is jealous of you up there. And why some of these species are being stocked in my pond. ;-D

To be honest the only fishing I have ever done with moderate success is largemouth bass in the Rideau Canal in Ontario. I've been up north to my uncle's place twice in the past two summers and we have not caught anything in his lake - mostly trolling for muskie/pike. He caught one the last time I was up there but I was not out with him at the time, it was him and my wife on that particular evening. I didn't think to grab the camera for this one until he had already started prepping it for dinner (the photos show up for me, let me know if they don't for you as I linked to my Facebook album which I am not 100% sure works):

He caught this one in Lac St Louis (the lake between the western part of the island of Montreal and the south shore)

lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:14 pm

That is one MONSTER muskie! 8-o

Coulda done without the manboobs though :-b
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby lmcjaho » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:59 am

scottaa1 wrote:That is one MONSTER muskie! 8-o

Coulda done without the manboobs though :-b

Personally I like his semi-psychotic smile as he holds up the knife in that pic. :-o :-b
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:45 am

Yeah it'd make a nice avatar.

I've never tried muskie. I always thought it was more a gamefish than a eating fish. I tried walleye for the first time last year. That was very good. I don't remember where he caught it though. He said they flew north from Indy until the puddle jumpers went no further and then they had a fairly long drive after that. So I'm guessing they were up around Fort Wayne, possible even Grand Rapids.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:20 am

That is an absolute monster! I have yet to crack the esox family myself.

Never had muskie either, and believe you're right Scott, more sport than table fare. Walleye is great! One of the best eater fish out there. A kid pulled a good sized saugeye (just under the limit) from the lake we were fishing yesterday.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Well, I ended up getting the head-cold-from-hell on Saturday night before I left for the cottage Sunday so I didn't do any fishing myself. We were boat-less too because the ice shifted the anchor-blocks out of position over the winter and my buddy and his dad weren't able to get them back into position properly so only one part of the three-part wharf went in on Saturday and the boat stayed on land.

My wife and her friend did a bit of fishing off the one wharf in the evenings and besides the black-flies not much was biting. They caught a couple of smaller fish (at that point I was busy trying to drink enough beer to make me ignore the way my head/sinus/throat was bothering me so I didn't bother getting a look at them) that they catch-and-released but that's about it.

Despite being miserable from the head cold it was still nice to have a 3-day break from the grind. Since December I've been averaging 8 shifts a week between my two jobs (one day off, 4 working one shift and 2 doubles) and it was starting to get to me I think.

Here's a shot off the back deck:

And here's one of the pups enjoying the deck.

First time we've brought the three of them along for a vacation - they had fun but surprisingly didn't take to swimming too much. Had to drag them out (literally) past their knees in the water and as soon as we let go they would swim straight to shore again. Only once did one of them semi-willingly go in to a depth that involved feet off the bottom of the lake - that was when Jade (our female Rott) decided to try and chase a duck that had waddled up onto shore. She ended up so engrossed in the chase that she tricked herself into going far enough to lose the bottom. :-D
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:22 pm

That is one heck of a nice view. Where exactly is that cottage?
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk