Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:44 pm

wow, awesome Josh ;-D Those paddlefish sure are cool looking. did you bring any of those fish home to the fryer? That crappie sure looks tasty :-L

I had my phone with me while I was fishing but didn't want to mess with trying to unlock it, open the camera app, etc., while holding a fish and standing on rocks bordering the water. The water was very clear and at first i was using a neon yellow grub on a white jighead but I think that was overkill and best left to murkier/stained water. I switched over to a grape shad 7.5" artificial worm and then they started biting. Needed to have some movement going to get their attention but get their attention it did.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:50 pm

That's a big bait change. Cool that it worked!

We took home our limit of walleye/sauger (4 each) as well as that crappie and a number of white bass.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Another feeding frenzy out there. Sun straight up in the sky, high water levels, and the water is badly stained from all the rain and runoff lately. Bright 1/8th ounce neon yellow jighead with a neon yellow grub on it. Second cast landed a ten incher, five minutes later hauled in another largie that would have gone two and a half pounds. The rest were in the 12 inch range, but considering all I'd really intended to do was to get a half hour or so of sun that sure worked out well :-D The only reason I stopped was because I only had that one bait with me and something eventually ripped the tail off the grub.

The bigger one was the only one that took line off the drag but he took plenty of it. Each and every one of them put on a jumping show.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Sweet! I had a hard time yesterday. Just fished off a dock during a meeting for a short time, but the water was so clear (limestone quarry) and the fish were feed trained that they'd just look at my jig/crawler combo and keep swimming. Damn spoiled fish!
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Just fished off a dock during a meeting for a short time

Well ya gotta love those kinds of meetings!
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 03, 2012 2:01 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Just fished off a dock during a meeting for a short time

Well ya gotta love those kinds of meetings!

Heck yeah. Fishing off the dock with the leaders in the industry talking behind me. Pretty sweet deal. Except for the skunked part....
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:35 pm

you should keep one of your buddy's two pound bluegills in your briefcase, so you can hook it when they aren't looking and impress them O:-)

want to hear something gross? I had a clogged downspout so I got out the step ladder after I mowed and starting digging at it. there were ants in there carrying eggs or larvae or something. the first blast of high pressure water from the hose sent them everywhere, including all over me. I almost jumped in the pond I was so grossed out.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 03, 2012 4:02 pm

I can't remember what it's called, but there's a ball (of sorts) rigged up in a tree of everything disgusting used to attract maggots that are used as bait. Saw one of these a while ago that your account reminded me of. Nearly lost my lunch. I don't think bait is worth that.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I can't remember what it's called, but there's a ball (of sorts) rigged up in a tree of everything disgusting used to attract maggots that are used as bait. Saw one of these a while ago that your account reminded me of. Nearly lost my lunch. I don't think bait is worth that.

Do you ever watch River Monsters? One of the epis they were fishing for giant catfish (again), and a local brought his special bait. It was the intestines of something like 10 chickens, still filled with the err 'natural filler' in the intestines, put in a coffee can, covered and left to sit in the sun for something like 10 days. Jeremy Wade, the host, touched it with bare hands and even after several days of scrubbing his hands still smelled like it. :-P

There are large channel cats in my pond but I don't target those. We used chicken liver to catch them when I was a kid and liver smells bad enough to me that I don't want to touch it, let alone smell it on my hands afterwards. Just give me artificials and fish slime.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 03, 2012 4:20 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I can't remember what it's called, but there's a ball (of sorts) rigged up in a tree of everything disgusting used to attract maggots that are used as bait. Saw one of these a while ago that your account reminded me of. Nearly lost my lunch. I don't think bait is worth that.

Do you ever watch River Monsters? One of the epis they were fishing for giant catfish (again), and a local brought his special bait. It was the intestines of something like 10 chickens, still filled with the err 'natural filler' in the intestines, put in a coffee can, covered and left to sit in the sun for something like 10 days. Jeremy Wade, the host, touched it with bare hands and even after several days of scrubbing his hands still smelled like it. :-P

There are large channel cats in my pond but I don't target those. We used chicken liver to catch them when I was a kid and liver smells bad enough to me that I don't want to touch it, let alone smell it on my hands afterwards. Just give me artificials and fish slime.

I hear you, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get them to bite. I was going to do some catfishing with some coworkers last year and brought some chicken liver. We ended up not going, but I forgot it was still in the fridge. Needless to say, after a couple months, one of the ladies was none too happy to discover it. It was RIPE! 8-o
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk