Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Postby scottaa1 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
I hear you, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get them to bite. I was going to do some catfishing with some coworkers last year and brought some chicken liver. We ended up not going, but I forgot it was still in the fridge. Needless to say, after a couple months, one of the ladies was none too happy to discover it. It was RIPE! 8-o

haha, I bought a blacktip shark steak a few years back. blacktip and mako are the only shark I tend to eat. I for some reason thought teriyaki marinade would good. So, I put it in a dish, marinated it, and got distracted by some other shiny object. A month or so later I noticed a strange smell. OMG it was horrible. The odor was leaching through the plastic. Tossed it out without opening it, throwing away the money for the shark steak and the tupperware. I've since started using all glass storageware, but I haven't bought shark since.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Sounds traumatic.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat May 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Went out last night to a buddy's place. Was hoping for a catfish bite, but while we let our rigs sit on the bottom I threw out a jig and minnow to see what else I could scare up. Ended up finding quite a few nice crappies. The sun went down and the bite stopped. Then a storm just barely missed us. Wind was blowing pretty bad and we almost packed things up. Wind stopped and the bite was on! Didn't manage a bunch, but that's usually how catfishing goes. My buddy had one and I ended the night with three. 24", 23" and a 25.5".

My buddy couldn't figure out how to get the glare off the pics while using my iPhone to take the pictures...

I always enjoy the fish flop pics...

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:44 pm

tough conditions today. low water level, water is very murky, sun directly overhead. Only one fish came to the party.

FYI, if you ever use the Berkley Gulp! bait, don't just wash your hands three or four times. Wash them three or four times, then shower a couple times. Else when you get home you may find yourself in divorce court shortly after. :-o
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:53 pm

And make sure you dispose of those gulp baits correctly too. Or at least remove them from the jig after use. Ever had one dry up on you? Damn near need a chainsaw to remove it. I guess if you set them back in water they'll get flexible again, but never tried it. Regarding my first line up there, and despite these baits being biodegradable (yeah, in 5-10 years), more and more stories are coming out of these discarded baits being found in fish's bellies and they're unable to digest them. They end up basically starving to death.

Great catch Scott! Even if it was just one. Had that happen last year. Tried a new plastic bait that a friend of mine poured. First cast, SLAM! I thought it was going to be awesome. Proceeded to get zero bites the next 2 hours. Weird.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on the gulp baits, both about not letting them dry and about disposal (which I'm always responsible about). This is the first of them I've purchased. I was at the bait shop and looking for something new to try and those looked interesting, to me at least although I'm no fish (let the jokes start).

I was mostly wanting to catch a little sun, enjoy not having any TV or computer around, and the sound of the fountain. Success in all areas, and one decent fish made it better.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:24 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Thanks for the heads-up on the gulp baits, both about not letting them dry and about disposal (which I'm always responsible about). This is the first of them I've purchased. I was at the bait shop and looking for something new to try and those looked interesting, to me at least although I'm no fish (let the jokes start).

I was mostly wanting to catch a little sun, enjoy not having any TV or computer around, and the sound of the fountain. Success in all areas, and one decent fish made it better.

Gulp catches a lot of fish and is a great alternative to live minnows. Did you get one of the bags that have a dozen or so or the little bucket that has them swimming in the attractant? The lids don't stay on those things very well and they're a little pricey, but they catch fish. Earlier in the year when we went up to Gavins Point Dam on the Missouri River, the fish were biting so well I got tired of rebaiting with minnows and switched to gulp minnows that resembled a fathead minnow. Pretty much the same success and not near as much mess. The organization I volunteer for holds an event called 24 Hour Fish-A-Thon where anglers across the nation fish for 24 hours straight. This even just picked up Berkley as a sponsor. Pretty huge for them. They're recycledfish.org if you're interested. I write the Steward of the Week articles.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:. Did you get one of the bags that have a dozen or so or the little bucket that has them swimming in the attractant?.

I got the bag with a dozen or so, the three inchers. The little bucket looked expensive and since I hadn't used that particular bait before I wanted to try it out on a small scale. I had a little trouble finding an ideal-sized hook for the 3" baits, still not sure I like the rig I was using. I was actually looking for small flutter hooks but they either didn't carry or were out of them and the only ones they had were for full-sized shad baits. So, I got a smaller hook with a round head and some inner load on it but that presented more hook than I like.

I kept getting nibbles every single cast when I went out to the middle of the pond. I was thinking the big boys would be out there going deep. But I think I was just getting small fry nibbling at it and the old, smart bass were taking their siestas.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:19 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:. Did you get one of the bags that have a dozen or so or the little bucket that has them swimming in the attractant?.

I got the bag with a dozen or so, the three inchers. The little bucket looked expensive and since I hadn't used that particular bait before I wanted to try it out on a small scale. I had a little trouble finding an ideal-sized hook for the 3" baits, still not sure I like the rig I was using. I was actually looking for small flutter hooks but they either didn't carry or were out of them and the only ones they had were for full-sized shad baits. So, I got a smaller hook with a round head and some inner load on it but that presented more hook than I like.

I kept getting nibbles every single cast when I went out to the middle of the pond. I was thinking the big boys would be out there going deep. But I think I was just getting small fry nibbling at it and the old, smart bass were taking their siestas.

Actually, I believe the older bass are probably getting their groove on right now. Nibbles were probably bluegill, I'd imagine, without knowing what all is in that lake. Around here, the bigger bass have been in the shallows, though with the heat we've had the last couple days they may be going to deeper cooler water and shaded areas.

You could try dragging a crawfish imitation lure along the bottom and see if it crosses a nest and gets a reactionary strike. I can't remember who makes it, but there's one out there that works really well with a baitcaster. Presentation is awesome. I'll see if I can find it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:35 pm

This pond is kinda strange. It's a retention pond with no discernible cover at all. It's roughly square, and the NE corner is where the main drainage culvert comes in and is also where my house is. Since that's the main influx, there's a buildup of sediments and that seems to be the only natural landscape. Otherwise I think it just deepens down to 15 or 20 feet, altho it could be more, at the center, where the fountain is. The fish are very single minded. There is NO surface action in this pond whatsoever. I've tried many times. During that cicada outbreak a few years back I was upstairs and observed a cicada landing in the water twenty or so feet out from the shore. In most ponds/lakes, that bug would have been gone in seconds. In this particular pond, it sat there buzzing buzzing buzzing for several minutes. Finally I saw the ghostly shadow of a bass rise up beneath it cautiously and finally eat it. Fishing in this pond is a challenge simple because the fish are attuned to such limited stimuli. I think their only prey is small bluegill and small bass. It'd be nice to put on the scuba gear and check out the topography of the pond but the HOA wouldn't allow it. And I can't really add artificial cover without knowing a depth to work with. shrug. it is what it is, a place 15 paces outside my door where I can maybe catch a nice fish or two. Maybe I should petition the HOA to allow us to create a few clutter areas from old Christmas trees or something? :-?
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk