Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fort Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:02 pm

Anyone familiar with Fort Lauderdale? We’re vacationing for a week next week and would like to know what things there are to do during the week. We’ll be visiting my mother-in-law, but she has to work during the days and we’re renting a car so we’ll be free to roam. We’re planning on the deep-sea fishing, snorkeling, and scuba diving. What else should we try to find time for? Keep in mind it’s myself, wife and kid.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Ft. Lauderdale.... FLORIDA?!?!?!?

Dude, have you learned NOTHING from all the GoF's I've posted? 8-o :-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Anyone familiar with Fort Lauderdale? We’re vacationing for a week next week and would like to know what things there are to do during the week. We’ll be visiting my mother-in-law, but she has to work during the days and we’re renting a car so we’ll be free to roam. We’re planning on the deep-sea fishing, snorkeling, and scuba diving. What else should we try to find time for? Keep in mind it’s myself, wife and kid.

I hope you have better luck fishing in the ocean than you did fishing in the pond ;-)

Seriously though, what kind of fishing are you looking to do? There's alot of different services being offered, some better than others, I can try to steer you the right way.

And OMG!!! Do you know what stinks?? rotten onion. I'm making pasta sauce and the yellow onion I bought had a rotted core. Disgusting!

Back on topic, not sure what all Ft. Laud has to offer for snorkeling/SCUBA diving. Maybe a day trip to Key Largo? Molasses reef is off the upper Keys, very nice, if you're interested, look up Capt. Slate's Atlantis Dive Center, caters to the upper keys. I worked there back when I was in high school. YOu could drive down in the morning, take the afternoon trip, head back up in the evening.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:51 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Anyone familiar with Fort Lauderdale? We’re vacationing for a week next week and would like to know what things there are to do during the week. We’ll be visiting my mother-in-law, but she has to work during the days and we’re renting a car so we’ll be free to roam. We’re planning on the deep-sea fishing, snorkeling, and scuba diving. What else should we try to find time for? Keep in mind it’s myself, wife and kid.

I hope you have better luck fishing in the ocean than you did fishing in the pond ;-)

Seriously though, what kind of fishing are you looking to do? There's alot of different services being offered, some better than others, I can try to steer you the right way.

And OMG!!! Do you know what stinks?? rotten onion. I'm making pasta sauce and the yellow onion I bought had a rotted core. Disgusting!

Back on topic, not sure what all Ft. Laud has to offer for snorkeling/SCUBA diving. Maybe a day trip to Key Largo? Molasses reef is off the upper Keys, very nice, if you're interested, look up Capt. Slate's Atlantis Dive Center, caters to the upper keys. I worked there back when I was in high school. YOu could drive down in the morning, take the afternoon trip, head back up in the evening.

Thanks scott. I've never been deep-sea fishing so I don't know what to expect. I don't think we are planning on taking on large marlins or anything, just nab some nice sized fish (and yeah, I hope I have better luck than I do around here). I've heard snagging marlins can take hours and I'll have the wife and kid with me and I'm not sure if they'd appreciate watching me play with a fish for half a day.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:10 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Thanks scott. I've never been deep-sea fishing so I don't know what to expect. I don't think we are planning on taking on large marlins or anything, just nab some nice sized fish (and yeah, I hope I have better luck than I do around here). I've heard snagging marlins can take hours and I'll have the wife and kid with me and I'm not sure if they'd appreciate watching me play with a fish for half a day.

There are different flavors of deep sea fishing offered. In my mind, 'deep sea' fishing is chartering a private boat, which will nowadays run you $800+ (plus tip) a day, to go offshore. That's where you can chase marlin or whatever else is biting in deep water. This time of year, off Florida, the mahi will be gone probably and it's not quite sailfish season I don't think. Maybe it's kingfish season. King mackerel are like any mackerel, fairly oily, cut them into steaks not filets, not all that fun to catch, really.

Then there's what are known as 'head boats' for the boats that cater to tourist who want to saltwater fish. They pack on as many people as they can, drive a mile or so offshore, and everyone dangles a line over the railing. Those boats aren't much fun, as you're not going to catch anything remotely interesting, they're packed tight with tourist usually, and the crew is surly because they're not on one of the more lucrative private charter boats, plus handling the multitudes of tourists that don't tip makes it worse for them.

Unfortunately, there's not much in between. It's either shell out the high dollars for a private charter - which doesn't mean tangling with a 500 pound marlin, that's very rare, but the private charter will be a much better experience - or going the gangland route, which will get you on a head boat and probably some smallish junk fish but cost you much less and isn't an all-day affair.

If you really want a true saltwater fishing experience, plan to spend upwards of a grand, arrive at the boat before 7AM, and spend 8 hours offshore trolling. You may come up empty, probably not. You may end up with one of the best experiences of your life, too.

Dang, wall of text ^^ see what happens when ya get me talkin fishing?? :-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:38 pm

knapplc wrote:Ft. Lauderdale.... FLORIDA?!?!?!?

Dude, have you learned NOTHING from all the GoF's I've posted? 8-o :-o

Wife's idea. :-b

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

There are different flavors of deep sea fishing offered. In my mind, 'deep sea' fishing is chartering a private boat, which will nowadays run you $800+ (plus tip) a day, to go offshore. That's where you can chase marlin or whatever else is biting in deep water. This time of year, off Florida, the mahi will be gone probably and it's not quite sailfish season I don't think. Maybe it's kingfish season. King mackerel are like any mackerel, fairly oily, cut them into steaks not filets, not all that fun to catch, really.

Then there's what are known as 'head boats' for the boats that cater to tourist who want to saltwater fish. They pack on as many people as they can, drive a mile or so offshore, and everyone dangles a line over the railing. Those boats aren't much fun, as you're not going to catch anything remotely interesting, they're packed tight with tourist usually, and the crew is surly because they're not on one of the more lucrative private charter boats, plus handling the multitudes of tourists that don't tip makes it worse for them.

Unfortunately, there's not much in between. It's either shell out the high dollars for a private charter - which doesn't mean tangling with a 500 pound marlin, that's very rare, but the private charter will be a much better experience - or going the gangland route, which will get you on a head boat and probably some smallish junk fish but cost you much less and isn't an all-day affair.

If you really want a true saltwater fishing experience, plan to spend upwards of a grand, arrive at the boat before 7AM, and spend 8 hours offshore trolling. You may come up empty, probably not. You may end up with one of the best experiences of your life, too.

Dang, wall of text ^^ see what happens when ya get me talkin fishing?? :-)

We actually have a contact who will take us by ourselves, plus his small crew, fishing so I think we're set there. I don't need the best experience of my life or anything, just a good time. So besides the fishing, which is what I'm really forward to personally, what else would you suggest?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:52 am

Scott, help me identify the type of fish I caught yesterday would you? It was definitely a type of catfish, but I can't find anything like it online. It was smallish, only a foot long, dark blue, and had a fin that started on his back and went all the way around his tail and belly, continous fin. Very prominent whiskers so it could be a bullhead of some sort. Pretty flat head too. There are some other types of catfish in this lake behind the house we're staying in and peacock bass. And I caught something with the net the other day that was the size and shape of a large bluegill, but had some pretty good color and I can't figure out what that was either.

The weather's not cooperating with us, but we're having fun. We enjoyed the beach yesterday, kid's first time, right before the rain hit. We were planning on the deep-sea fishing today, but a big storm's brewing so we'll put that off till Saturday, then we'll hit the swamps on Sunday for some airboating. Kid's enjoying all the lizards and other critters that are prevalent down here too.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:03 am

Ok, I think I found out what kind of catfish we caught yesterday. A Walking Catfish. I read they're not native to Florida. And the smaller bluegill-like fish may have been a snapper.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:04 am

It wasn't this, was it?

How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:36 am

The fins on the fish in that picture are right, but it wasn't as colorful and it had some very thick and long whiskers. What kind of fish is that?

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2008 ... dents.html
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk