Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:42 am

The one I posted is a Snake Fish, a dangerous import that's not native to North America and is considered an invasive species. I was going to have you report it if it was that fish. Good that it isn't.

The one you posted seems very catfish-like. Interesting fish.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:01 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Scott, help me identify the type of fish I caught yesterday would you? It was definitely a type of catfish, but I can't find anything like it online. It was smallish, only a foot long, dark blue, and had a fin that started on his back and went all the way around his tail and belly, continous fin. Very prominent whiskers so it could be a bullhead of some sort. Pretty flat head too. There are some other types of catfish in this lake behind the house we're staying in and peacock bass. And I caught something with the net the other day that was the size and shape of a large bluegill, but had some pretty good color and I can't figure out what that was either.

The weather's not cooperating with us, but we're having fun. We enjoyed the beach yesterday, kid's first time, right before the rain hit. We were planning on the deep-sea fishing today, but a big storm's brewing so we'll put that off till Saturday, then we'll hit the swamps on Sunday for some airboating. Kid's enjoying all the lizards and other critters that are prevalent down here too.

Was the lake you were fishing in freshwater or brackish? I'm not so hot on freshwater fish. I can identify quite a few species but not near as many saltwater ones. Did you happen to get a picture of the bluegill-like one you caught? I'm not sure any snapper species live in brackish water. Snappers do have a fairly panfish-like body, though. Most snappers will have some prominent teeth. A mangrove snapper is basically just brown. A mutton snapper is lighter brown with a large dark spot on its side. Red snapper is, well, red. Yellowtail snapper is light colored with a prominent yellow stripe down the center of its side, running front to back.

The airboating is pretty cool (and noisey!). Something else you may consider is an aerial tour. I forget where we were, but there was a retired fellow who had a 4-seater Cessna type aircraft and did aerial tours just for fun. It literally didn't cost much more than the price of the fuel used. I think he just wanted an excuse to go out flying :-) The eye-level airboat ride is cool, the birds-eye view is also very neat. Watch out for gators man! And the snakes. And mosquitos ;-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:46 am

Caught 5 catfish in the lake (freshwater) last night. They were all the same kind, I think flathead. They were black and yellow spotted. The biggest one we caught was probably around 5 pounds. Didn't catch anything else. I don't know if we got a picture of the bluegill-like fish. I'll have to check the camera. I like to take the pictures of the fish as evidence so maybe it's on there ( :-D ). The water really rose up by morning yesterday and it continued to rain on and off. I set up a tarp in between trees off the shoreline and it kept us pretty dry for the most part. In this lake off the grassy shoreline there's a slight drop off and a maybe 6-8 foot level ridge that you can see easily under about 2 feet of water. Then it drops off dramatically and that's where we've had our success catching the catfish (and getting snagged :-[ ). I tried for some of the peacock bass last night, but didn't have any luck. I don't think I was using the right bait. What kind of bait would you suggest for them? I think we're doing the saltwater fishing tomorrow and going to do the airboating thing this afternoon. Too bad you can't remember that guy's name with the plane, that sounds like fun.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:04 am

Scott, I do have a picture of the bluegill-like fish. I can't put it on this computer here though, so it'll have to wait till I get back home to post it here, along with some of the others. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:08 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote: I tried for some of the peacock bass last night, but didn't have any luck. I don't think I was using the right bait. What kind of bait would you suggest for them?

I've never fished for peacock bass, but I did a quick snoop on the innerweb. Sounds like they're a very aggressive fish. Found one site saying 'Peacock Bass are ready and willing to viciously attack just about any type lure or bait, especially if retrieved in a lively manner. And they just love to attack and destroy streamers and poppers.'

So you might want to get some artificials and deploy them in a very lively fashion. Think annoyance; the peacock is the big fish in the pond, you want to aggravate it into striking, not coerce it. They sound like a largemouth on steroids. As discussed in your other fishing topic thread, look for areas of cover where they might be, or might be hanging around to eat the little fish that are taking cover. Good luck! They're supposed to be very tough fights once hooked.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:10 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Scott, I do have a picture of the bluegill-like fish. I can't put it on this computer here though, so it'll have to wait till I get back home to post it here, along with some of the others. ;-D

Awesome :-) I'm hoping you get even more pictures from the saltwater trip. ;-D
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:47 am

Scottie, thanks for everything man! Between your advice and the advice from the guy at this local bait shop I got my peacock bass. Beautiful fish. And the wife caught a bass shortly after. It was solid dark in color though. She thinks it's a female peacock bass. Do you know if the genders differ in color like that or is this a totally different kind of bass? Off to the high seas. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:09 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Scottie, thanks for everything man! Between your advice and the advice from the guy at this local bait shop I got my peacock bass. Beautiful fish. And the wife caught a bass shortly after. It was solid dark in color though. She thinks it's a female peacock bass. Do you know if the genders differ in color like that or is this a totally different kind of bass? Off to the high seas. :-D

Happy to help. The only difference of note between genders is that the males have a pronounced lump on their forehead, so it sounds like your wife caught a different species. It could also have been a juvenile possibly.

How'd the salt trip go? Hopefully the seas weren't too rough.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:46 pm

Pics Omaha or it didn't happen. :-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:54 pm

I was watching a fishing show one time (I know I'm a loser), and they were fishing for Peacock Bass, they were on the amazon, but I assume they're the same fish, they made like real violent whipping motion downward with a big crankbait to get there attention, I'll see if I can find a vid.

edit: you can't see the guy doing it but you can see what the lure is doing when he 'whips' it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOX7zG3B ... re=related
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk