Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:43 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:I was watching a fishing show one time (I know I'm a loser), and they were fishing for Peacock Bass, they were on the amazon, but I assume they're the same fish, they made like real violent whipping motion downward with a big crankbait to get there attention, I'll see if I can find a vid.

Yep, same ones. Peacock bass aren't native to Florida, they were intentionally introduced to control other undesireable, unintentionally introduced species. And they're not actually bass, they're cichlids. I don't know if they're something worth eating or not.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:04 pm

scottaa1 wrote:How'd the salt trip go? Hopefully the seas weren't too rough.

The trip itself was awesome. The success rate was pretty bad though. We moved 7 times (not sure if that's typical) to try to get some hungry fish and nothing worked. A kid caught a capula (sp?) that was pretty big. These apparently go for $15 per pound so it was quite a catch for the kid. Another guy caught a 4 foot shark that they wouldn't even bring up on the boat for fear it might get somebody. A few others caught some snappers, only a handful, and that was it. I was disappointed, but it was still fun.

Metroid wrote:Pics Omaha or it didn't happen. :-D

There will definitely be "proof" when I get back home Tuesday...or Wednesday depending on when I feel like it. :-D And I'll put up some pics of the airboat ride and some other ones too. ;-D

scottaa1 wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:I was watching a fishing show one time (I know I'm a loser), and they were fishing for Peacock Bass, they were on the amazon, but I assume they're the same fish, they made like real violent whipping motion downward with a big crankbait to get there attention, I'll see if I can find a vid.

Yep, same ones. Peacock bass aren't native to Florida, they were intentionally introduced to control other undesireable, unintentionally introduced species. And they're not actually bass, they're cichlids. I don't know if they're something worth eating or not.

He definitely put up a fight, but there was no way I was losing it. Once he stuck he threw such a fit there was no way that hook was coming undone. Only thing I was worried about was my line breaking, but he ended up not being quite big enough to do that. I definitely knew right away it wasn't a catfish because of the way he was fighting me. I just tried some of these fake lures and I haven't gotten a bite yet so maybe they're smarter than I'm taking them for. I'll go to the baitshop again tomorrow and get more live shiners. Take your hook under their chin and through their nostril and they live for quite a while and kick and squirm the whole time so they're perfect for bass. Later tonight I might go for some more catfish. I accidently left the chicken liver out overnight so it's really raunchy. Thinking about pouring some of it into the lake and taking some of the rest for my bait and see what happens. By the way, and maybe it was already mentioned, but the secret to chicken liver for catfish is pantyhose. Greatest advice I think I may have received yet regarding catfish.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:10 pm

Oh, one other animal that we saw the other day was a Southern Water Snake. Nothing really too special, but it's a little freaky when you look down at the water and see a 2-foot snake that's totally not afraid of you just slithering by the shoreline.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:03 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Scottie, thanks for everything man! Between your advice and the advice from the guy at this local bait shop I got my peacock bass. Beautiful fish. And the wife caught a bass shortly after. It was solid dark in color though. She thinks it's a female peacock bass. Do you know if the genders differ in color like that or is this a totally different kind of bass? Off to the high seas. :-D

Happy to help. The only difference of note between genders is that the males have a pronounced lump on their forehead, so it sounds like your wife caught a different species. It could also have been a juvenile possibly.

Yep, they're a different bass. Caught 2 this morning. They're Black Bass or Florida Largemouth Bass. I was using the fake bait this morning just for the hell of it and saw 5 Peacock Bass chasing it, but not buying it. Cast it back out to the middle of the lake and landed a Black Bass. Tossed it out again and got another one. The Peacock Bass are all around and they're curious, but not falling for it. :-[ Need to get some shiners for tomorrow morning. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:55 pm

Scott, I caught a much larger version of the "bluegill-like" fish and he's not bluegill-like at all. It's definitely a type of cichlid. About a foot long, very round, and square spots on it. I have pictures so I'll post them when I get back and see if you can identify it. I'll do some searches here and see if I can figure it out. We saw 2 other species in the lake this evening that we hadn't seen yet.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 pm

Caught 3 Peacock Bass and a good-sized Black Bass this afternoon and another one of those "bluegill-like" fish which I'm told by a local are spotted talapia. One of the Peacock Bass ended up taking my bait 5 times and breaking my line twice before I got him ashore, where he broke my line again. He tasted awesome. I saw some Suckermouth Catfish in the lake tonight, big ones. Hadn't seen them before tonight so that was pretty cool. Have no idea how to catch them so I left them alone. Ok, tomorrow morning, we head out of here and I'll start saving my files over to my computer when I get home. From there I will start posting pictures of my awesome adventures in this thread and some of the better fish pics in the Fishing Thread. Don't lose any sleep... :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Ok, I have a handful of pictures here.

Fort Lauderdale Beach

Hollywood Beach

Air Boat on the Everglades

These ducks were all over the neighborhood we stayed in.

Seaquarium

And the fish...

First, the walking catfish. It's not a good picture. Wish I would have gotten one from the side so you could see the unique fins, but this is the only pic we got of it.

Some of the flathead catfish...

The black bass...

The spotted talapia...

And the peacock bass...

If any of you guys ever have a chance to eat a peacock bass you'll thank me for suggesting it. It was delicious. My wife and mother-in-law don't really care for fish, but they thought it was great too. I know this is a worn out phrase, but it really did taste a bit like a chicken. Really, really good.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Caught 3 Peacock Bass and a good-sized Black Bass this afternoon and another one of those "bluegill-like" fish which I'm told by a local are spotted talapia. One of the Peacock Bass ended up taking my bait 5 times and breaking my line twice before I got him ashore, where he broke my line again. He tasted awesome. I saw some Suckermouth Catfish in the lake tonight, big ones. Hadn't seen them before tonight so that was pretty cool. Have no idea how to catch them so I left them alone. Ok, tomorrow morning, we head out of here and I'll start saving my files over to my computer when I get home. From there I will start posting pictures of my awesome adventures in this thread and some of the better fish pics in the Fishing Thread. Don't lose any sleep... :-D

You ate the peacock bass? Glad it was good. The tilapia is an edible one to, it's served in the cafeteria at work almost every Friday. What pound test line were you using that they broke? Do you know how to set the drag?
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:38 pm

Great pics, thanks for posting! That catfish looks like it's half the size of your son! Nice gator pick too... how close were you to it??

Looks like you breaded the peacock and sauteed in butter? I bet the black largemouth would've eaten pretty well too. Did you clean the bass your self? Was it your first time trying to do so? Looks like you got the filets pretty intact if so. I hear gator tail tastes like chicken, you didn't try to catch it and eat it? :-B

Glad you had a fun trip and have good memories to carry along (and the pics to prove it to Met :-b )

Any idea what kind of shark it was someone caught that they wouldn't bring onboard? Some sharks are pretty good eating, but with lots of people around, I can understand why they wouldn't want to boat it.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Re: Fishing

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:32 pm

I'll bump this thread with the fish I caught in Florida.

And the fish...

First, the walking catfish. It's not a good picture. Wish I would have gotten one from the side so you could see the unique fins, but this is the only pic we got of it.

Some of the flathead catfish...

The black bass...

The spotted talapia...

And the peacock bass...

If any of you guys ever have a chance to eat a peacock bass you'll thank me for suggesting it. It was delicious. My wife and mother-in-law don't really care for fish, but they thought it was great too. I know this is a worn out phrase, but it really did taste a bit like a chicken. Really, really good.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk