Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:41 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Caught 3 Peacock Bass and a good-sized Black Bass this afternoon and another one of those "bluegill-like" fish which I'm told by a local are spotted talapia. One of the Peacock Bass ended up taking my bait 5 times and breaking my line twice before I got him ashore, where he broke my line again. He tasted awesome. I saw some Suckermouth Catfish in the lake tonight, big ones. Hadn't seen them before tonight so that was pretty cool. Have no idea how to catch them so I left them alone. Ok, tomorrow morning, we head out of here and I'll start saving my files over to my computer when I get home. From there I will start posting pictures of my awesome adventures in this thread and some of the better fish pics in the Fishing Thread. Don't lose any sleep... :-D


You ate the peacock bass? Glad it was good. The tilapia is an edible one to, it's served in the cafeteria at work almost every Friday. What pound test line were you using that they broke? Do you know how to set the drag?


It was a thicker line and a larger pole than the standard one that my wife and son were fishing with. I had to leave it behind to have her mother mail it to us. It was a Shakespeare, nothing special, but I'm not sure what the pounds were on the line. How do I find that out? And I'm sounding really dumb here, but what do you mean by set the drag? Basically, for the bass, I had my bobber about 2 feet above the one weight and swivel, then the line and hook into the shiner. I cast it out in a variety of directions and depths and slowly reeled it in. I caught the majority of them relatively close to shore, about 10-20 feet. There wasn't a whole lot of cover on this small lake so casting into the middle of the lake got some action too, especially from the black bass. Oh, and I was using my wife's pole when the one peacock bass broke the line. It was your standard cheap fishing pole so, what's that, 4 lbs.? Crazy when we cut him open and five of my shiners fell out of him.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:47 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Great pics, thanks for posting! That catfish looks like it's half the size of your son! Nice gator pick too... how close were you to it??


They came right up to the side of the boat. I could have leaned over and touched it on the head. One of them I think was about 10 feet.

scottaa1 wrote:Looks like you breaded the peacock and sauteed in butter? I bet the black largemouth would've eaten pretty well too. Did you clean the bass your self? Was it your first time trying to do so? Looks like you got the filets pretty intact if so. I hear gator tail tastes like chicken, you didn't try to catch it and eat it? :-B


My mother-in-law's friend cleaned the peacock. I had never done it before so I watched closely. If I'd known how great they were to eat I would have probably kept them all. He used flour and egg and vegetable oil to cook him up. The one we cooked is the large male on the right side of the three on the line in the picture. He's the one that took 5 of my bait and broke the line twice.

scottaa1 wrote:Any idea what kind of shark it was someone caught that they wouldn't bring onboard? Some sharks are pretty good eating, but with lots of people around, I can understand why they wouldn't want to boat it.


I should have asked what kind of shark it was. It wasn't unique in any way, as far as coloring or shape oddities.

Oh, and I heard the tilapia's good eating too. Actually the mother-in-law said one of her neighbors fishes exclusively for them. Reels out, catches one, eats it, and she's done.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Fishing

Postby Guru13 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:58 pm

what a post whore. ;-7 ;-) :-b
Image
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9206
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:10 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:It was a thicker line and a larger pole than the standard one that my wife and son were fishing with. I had to leave it behind to have her mother mail it to us. It was a Shakespeare, nothing special, but I'm not sure what the pounds were on the line. How do I find that out? And I'm sounding really dumb here, but what do you mean by set the drag? Basically, for the bass, I had my bobber about 2 feet above the one weight and swivel, then the line and hook into the shiner. I cast it out in a variety of directions and depths and slowly reeled it in. I caught the majority of them relatively close to shore, about 10-20 feet. There wasn't a whole lot of cover on this small lake so casting into the middle of the lake got some action too, especially from the black bass. Oh, and I was using my wife's pole when the one peacock bass broke the line. It was your standard cheap fishing pole so, what's that, 4 lbs.? Crazy when we cut him open and five of my shiners fell out of him.


You'll only really know the # test line if you string the spool yourself, or ask the rod owner. It's the breaking limit for the line. As far as setting the drag, it looked like from the pics you were using a baitcasting rod (as opposed to a spinner or open-faced rod). On a baitcaster, there's a tiny little dial on the top that allows you to set the drag. Think of the drag as a parking break or clutch, with give. If you're using, say, 8# test, you might want to set the drag at 6# force, so that if the fish is exerting 6+ pounds force, it takes line off the reel. For many sportfisherman, the sound of the line being stripped off the reel is the very sound they live and pay for. It makes it so that a much larger fish than your line could handle won't break your line; it plays line out when the fish is 'pulling' drag (running away), instead of breaking the line (think catching a 500 pound marlin on 50# test line - your reel gives, until you can take line back when the fish is tired). You 'set' the drag by pulling line off the reel before casting - when you pull, you want line to be pulled off the reel before it snaps, but not too much, because the force tires the fish. It makes a distinctive 'whirring' sound when line is being pulled. So, pull line, tighten the drag or loosen the drag as needed. I usually adjust (loosen) it mid-fight, just to get more action.

YOu don't really want to use bobbers unless you're fishing for panfish, most other things you can skip the bobber and work a direct line. That requires skill in watching the line/feeling the bite/monitoring the line for twiches or for a disticnt run of the slack line that means something swallowed it and is taking off, instead of watching a bobber. That's how I bass fish; no bobber, sometimes a sinker, and an open bail (the line collecter on a open-face reel) so the bass won't feel resistance at first nibble and be scared off.


All in all, for your level of experience, I'd say you had a pretty productive trip. And now you know a bit more for your next fishing trip. :-)
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:22 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:My mother-in-law's friend cleaned the peacock. I had never done it before so I watched closely. If I'd known how great they were to eat I would have probably kept them all. He used flour and egg and vegetable oil to cook him up. The one we cooked is the large male on the right side of the three on the line in the picture. He's the one that took 5 of my bait and broke the line twice. .


From what I've read, those were young peacocks, the verticle stripping on the side goes away when they mature. So those tough fights weren't even the varsity, if you can imagine the fight they would give you!!

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I should have asked what kind of shark it was. It wasn't unique in any way, as far as coloring or shape oddities. .


A lot of shark species can only be identified by their teeth or by subtle markings, takes an experienced fisherman or in some cases a marine biologist to tell the difference. It's very difficult to tell a brown shark from a bull shark, except the brown has a more rounded dorsal fin, and is far less likely you eat you.

Man I wanna head to Florida tomorrow and book a charter.
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Fishing

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:40 pm

I have those exact same shorts, except I pulled the tie-band out of them and use it as a pet toy. Lee Dungarees, right?
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:55 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:It was a thicker line and a larger pole than the standard one that my wife and son were fishing with. I had to leave it behind to have her mother mail it to us. It was a Shakespeare, nothing special, but I'm not sure what the pounds were on the line. How do I find that out? And I'm sounding really dumb here, but what do you mean by set the drag? Basically, for the bass, I had my bobber about 2 feet above the one weight and swivel, then the line and hook into the shiner. I cast it out in a variety of directions and depths and slowly reeled it in. I caught the majority of them relatively close to shore, about 10-20 feet. There wasn't a whole lot of cover on this small lake so casting into the middle of the lake got some action too, especially from the black bass. Oh, and I was using my wife's pole when the one peacock bass broke the line. It was your standard cheap fishing pole so, what's that, 4 lbs.? Crazy when we cut him open and five of my shiners fell out of him.


You'll only really know the # test line if you string the spool yourself, or ask the rod owner. It's the breaking limit for the line. As far as setting the drag, it looked like from the pics you were using a baitcasting rod (as opposed to a spinner or open-faced rod). On a baitcaster, there's a tiny little dial on the top that allows you to set the drag. Think of the drag as a parking break or clutch, with give. If you're using, say, 8# test, you might want to set the drag at 6# force, so that if the fish is exerting 6+ pounds force, it takes line off the reel. For many sportfisherman, the sound of the line being stripped off the reel is the very sound they live and pay for. It makes it so that a much larger fish than your line could handle won't break your line; it plays line out when the fish is 'pulling' drag (running away), instead of breaking the line (think catching a 500 pound marlin on 50# test line - your reel gives, until you can take line back when the fish is tired). You 'set' the drag by pulling line off the reel before casting - when you pull, you want line to be pulled off the reel before it snaps, but not too much, because the force tires the fish. It makes a distinctive 'whirring' sound when line is being pulled. So, pull line, tighten the drag or loosen the drag as needed. I usually adjust (loosen) it mid-fight, just to get more action.

YOu don't really want to use bobbers unless you're fishing for panfish, most other things you can skip the bobber and work a direct line. That requires skill in watching the line/feeling the bite/monitoring the line for twiches or for a disticnt run of the slack line that means something swallowed it and is taking off, instead of watching a bobber. That's how I bass fish; no bobber, sometimes a sinker, and an open bail (the line collecter on a open-face reel) so the bass won't feel resistance at first nibble and be scared off.


All in all, for your level of experience, I'd say you had a pretty productive trip. And now you know a bit more for your next fishing trip. :-)


Alright, it's coming together. I had that dial and I recall doing the opposite of what you just suggested. I put it plus as far as I could. That's good to know the whir sound and what it means. I hope to get to that point sometime where I can snag a fish that creates that sound. I thought about ditching the bobber, but the bank was basically rock, jutted out about 10-15 feet, then dropped off, and I was constantly getting snagged so I was using the bobber primarily to prevent that. Up here, we generally just have mud, so I can probably go without a bobber and be fine. I recall, one of the smaller peacocks, the one in the middle, I could see her checking out the shiner but wasn't interested enough to bite so I did what you suggested and agitated it as much as I could to piss the fish off and after about 3 minutes of teasing the hell out of her she got pissed enough to clamp down. That was a good feeling to have to work that hard for a fish instead of just casting out and getting lucky.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:01 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:My mother-in-law's friend cleaned the peacock. I had never done it before so I watched closely. If I'd known how great they were to eat I would have probably kept them all. He used flour and egg and vegetable oil to cook him up. The one we cooked is the large male on the right side of the three on the line in the picture. He's the one that took 5 of my bait and broke the line twice. .


From what I've read, those were young peacocks, the verticle stripping on the side goes away when they mature. So those tough fights weren't even the varsity, if you can imagine the fight they would give you!!


Really? Look at some of these other pictures of peacock bass that are nearly 5 times the size that I caught and they still have very definitive stripes. But I do realize these are small compared to what you'd be proud of bringing home in the Amazon.

Image

Image

Image

Image


Oh, and I was wondering if anyone would be up to photoshopping one of those pictures by making my fish just HUGE so I can have some fun with my buddies. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:07 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Alright, it's coming together. I had that dial and I recall doing the opposite of what you just suggested. I put it plus as far as I could. That's good to know the whir sound and what it means. I hope to get to that point sometime where I can snag a fish that creates that sound. I thought about ditching the bobber, but the bank was basically rock, jutted out about 10-15 feet, then dropped off,.


Did you notice the bass being just outside/patrolling the drop off? The drop off sounds like the typical kind of environmental condition to look for. Were they chasing up to that point, then breaking off pursuit? The little fish they like to eat will use those shallows to stay safe; the peacocks are just like sharks at the edge of any reef/shelf drop off, looking for something that swam just a bit too far for its means.
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Fishing

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:09 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I have those exact same shorts, except I pulled the tie-band out of them and use it as a pet toy. Lee Dungarees, right?


I just checked and they're WearFirst and American Eagle Outfitters. 2 pairs of WearFirst, different kinds, and the one American Eagle Outfitters. I think I either got them at a thrift store or the wife bought them for me somewhere. My brother bought me these hiking pants over the summer that are awesome. They're made of this extra light material, have something like 20 pockets (exaggeration, but there is a lot), a lot of little loops and things to hook keys and whatnot onto, and they can be zippered off into shorts. I love them, but I didn't take them on the trip. Didn't think I'd need pants down there and when I zipper them off as shorts they're a little too short for my liking. I don't know what they're made of, I could check I guess, but they're great.

I'm going through fishing withdrawals already...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 21:24 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact