Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fishing

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:09 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:what a post whore. ;-7 ;-) :-b

Quickly becoming a fish whore... :-b :-o
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Really? Look at some of these other pictures of peacock bass that are nearly 5 times the size that I caught and they still have very definitive stripes. But I do realize these are small compared to what you'd be proud of bringing home in the Amazon.

very possible/probable I misread something or misinterpreted other photos, no worries. I thought the matures had less stripe/more speckles. :-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:14 pm

Oh, Scott, ever been icefishing? That's pretty much the only kind of fishing I'll be able to do around here in a couple weeks and I've wanted to for a long time. Have no idea what I need to get (except for layers of clothes) or where to go to be honest. I got a buddy that I bet knows about it and how to get to and do it, but we haven't discussed it before.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:17 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Alright, it's coming together. I had that dial and I recall doing the opposite of what you just suggested. I put it plus as far as I could. That's good to know the whir sound and what it means. I hope to get to that point sometime where I can snag a fish that creates that sound. I thought about ditching the bobber, but the bank was basically rock, jutted out about 10-15 feet, then dropped off,.

Did you notice the bass being just outside/patrolling the drop off? The drop off sounds like the typical kind of environmental condition to look for. Were they chasing up to that point, then breaking off pursuit? The little fish they like to eat will use those shallows to stay safe; the peacocks are just like sharks at the edge of any reef/shelf drop off, looking for something that swam just a bit too far for its means.

Exactly. Same with the catfish. Right off the edge, though a little deeper. Yeah, they'd chase till the ridge, then I'd have to slow up and hope the chase got them excited enough to take it. But you're spot on with that, the ridge was where I quickly figured out they liked to bite.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:23 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Really? Look at some of these other pictures of peacock bass that are nearly 5 times the size that I caught and they still have very definitive stripes. But I do realize these are small compared to what you'd be proud of bringing home in the Amazon.

very possible/probable I misread something or misinterpreted other photos, no worries. I thought the matures had less stripe/more speckles. :-)

There are two different kinds of Peacock Bass from what I understand. I was telling this friend of my mother-in-laws about them and he pulled up two different pictures on the internet and sternly asked me which one I was fishing for. I pointed at the one and he said that was fine. The kind I caught were the Butterfly Peacock Bass. It's illegal to fish for the Speckled Peacock Bass apparently and he was just making sure I was fishing for the right kind. It could be that the Speckled version change as they get older, but on Wiki the juveniles look very similar to the adults.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Oh, Scott, ever been icefishing? That's pretty much the only kind of fishing I'll be able to do around here in a couple weeks and I've wanted to for a long time. Have no idea what I need to get (except for layers of clothes) or where to go to be honest. I got a buddy that I bet knows about it and how to get to and do it, but we haven't discussed it before.

Never tried it... all I know is you want thick ice, of course, to support yourself and a warmer (and a tent that alot of icefishers have around them to block wind), something to cut through the ice and something to scoop particles of ice from the hole to keep it from re-freezing, and you'll want to fish very deep. Fish are sorta like lizards, they get lethargic with the cold, so fish deep, and reel up any bites fairly lazily. I suspect you'd need a pretty deep body of water.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote: I was telling this friend of my mother-in-laws about them and he pulled up two different pictures on the internet and sternly asked me which one I was fishing for. I pointed at the one and he said that was fine.

hehe 'sternly' asked.. like he expected you to know the difference or intentionally angle for a certain species... funny stuff. :-) I understand his want to preserve the fisheries properly, though. He could have been a bit more diplomatic about it I guess.

Odd that it's 'illegal to fish for' instead of 'must release if caught.' How's a person supposed to know what is hooked? Perhaps the two different fish have different habitats/feeding habits.

And it sounds like you had good luck with live shiners. You should try tarpon fishing. :-) live mullet instead of shiners, and boy howdy, you'll hear that drag cry like a baby.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:23 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote: I was telling this friend of my mother-in-laws about them and he pulled up two different pictures on the internet and sternly asked me which one I was fishing for. I pointed at the one and he said that was fine.

hehe 'sternly' asked.. like he expected you to know the difference or intentionally angle for a certain species... funny stuff. :-) I understand his want to preserve the fisheries properly, though. He could have been a bit more diplomatic about it I guess.

I think he has some buddies of his that fish for whatever they want and completely disregard the regulations so he's a bit sensitive about it and was hoping I wasn't one of those guys. And it being illegal, that's just what this guy told me. He could have been stressing it for emphasis I don't know.

Is there a site, or do you have maybe a quick rundown of some popular freshwater fish to go for and the methods that are most successful? Kind of like Catfish = nighttime, bottom feeders, drag stinkbait (chicken liver, hotdogs, etc.) along bottom near shoreline. Bass = daytime, need active bait near cover or bank dropoff. Something like that? That way I can try to get at other species of fish and try different methods. Of course, I won't be able to practice most of these for a while, but I'd like to be educated when I get out there instead of fishing in the daytime with stinkbait.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:26 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Oh, Scott, ever been icefishing? That's pretty much the only kind of fishing I'll be able to do around here in a couple weeks and I've wanted to for a long time. Have no idea what I need to get (except for layers of clothes) or where to go to be honest. I got a buddy that I bet knows about it and how to get to and do it, but we haven't discussed it before.

Never tried it... all I know is you want thick ice, of course, to support yourself and a warmer (and a tent that alot of icefishers have around them to block wind), something to cut through the ice and something to scoop particles of ice from the hole to keep it from re-freezing, and you'll want to fish very deep. Fish are sorta like lizards, they get lethargic with the cold, so fish deep, and reel up any bites fairly lazily. I suspect you'd need a pretty deep body of water.

Makes sense. I'll have to ask around and see if anyone around work or any of my buddies have tried it.

Have you ever made your own lures? My mother-in-laws friend said he had a buddy that you could call him up and describe a lure and he'd have it made the next day. I don't know about all that, but I was curious how extensive/successful that is generally.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:29 pm

I have fish envy. :,-( :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext