Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boats / Fishing / Ft Lauderdale / Ponds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fort Lauderdale

Postby Guru13 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:40 pm

crappie are fun, good eatin' too. Don't have a website, but I can tell you how to catch 'em. ;-)

you need to go trout fishing too, IMO, it's the best freshwater fish for eating. You can't usually find them in just any old stream (unless you live in a pretty remote area), you'll have to go to a state park or something, but they are a blast, and a real challenge if you hook a decent sized one. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fishing

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Metroid wrote:I have fish envy. :,-( :-B

I can't remember if I mentioned this in this thread or the vacation one, but I'm definitely having withdrawals right now. :-b I fished every night when I was down there. Coming back from the beach or Seaquarium or wherever, grab a beer and a cigar (found a nice cigar shop down there) and set up for a couple hours. I'm really liking the bass fishing because it's more active and I never really enjoyed the waiting game that I always assumed fishing was all about. The fight and sport of it really had me looking forward to the lake each night. Plus I just flat out love wildlife and the outdoors and there was so much activity in that lake day and night. Fish of all sorts and sizes, snakes, turtles, birds, lizards, iguanas, seems like we found something new every night. Like last night, our last night out there, we found those suckermouth catfish. That was a lot of fun and I miss it already. Suppose I cooooooould just move down there.... :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:34 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Oh, Scott, ever been icefishing? That's pretty much the only kind of fishing I'll be able to do around here in a couple weeks and I've wanted to for a long time. Have no idea what I need to get (except for layers of clothes) or where to go to be honest. I got a buddy that I bet knows about it and how to get to and do it, but we haven't discussed it before.

Nfl Fan the Alaskan has done his share of ice fishing. ;-)

Four inches of solid ice is plenty thick for you and your gear.

In the old days, we used a manual ice-auger, but you can get one powered by a two-cycle engine (much like that on a weedeater). We would knock a few holes in a can of creamed corn and let it sit a couple feet off the bottom of the lake to bait the hole and come back later to fish it.

Ice fishing wasn't my favorite winter activity. Lots of sitting in the cold doing not alot of anything. Then you get a fish on, and like what was said, they're lethargic... so it's not like they put up much of a fight like in the summer.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Oh, Scott, ever been icefishing? That's pretty much the only kind of fishing I'll be able to do around here in a couple weeks and I've wanted to for a long time. Have no idea what I need to get (except for layers of clothes) or where to go to be honest. I got a buddy that I bet knows about it and how to get to and do it, but we haven't discussed it before.

Never been Ice fishing but here are a few logical tips.

1. Anyone nuts enough to ice fish is probably a die hard. Find out where they go and fish by them.

2. Fish near the bottom. On a normal lake the warmest spot will be towards the top. On a frozen lake that spot is at the bottom. Most Fish will go to the most comfy spot which will be the warmest.

Here is a how to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQGwstqg2YM
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:48 am

Scott (or anyone else :-D ), where do you generally like to set the drag when you're bass fishing?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:59 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Scott (or anyone else :-D ), where do you generally like to set the drag when you're bass fishing?

I like my drag like my women... not too loose, not too tight. :-D

Basically I'll pull line off the reel with my hand, adjusting to where it takes a good tug to pull line off the drag. Too tight and the line might break, too loose and when the fish really pulls, the reel might ... overspool? I forget the term for it... but basically the reel will spin faster than the line coming off of it, which can result in something called backlash, which is a bunch of tangled line on the reel that unwound with no where to go. Also if it's too loose it can pull line off when you're trying to set the hook instead of actually setting the hook. Bass have boney mouths so you need a laser-sharpened hook and a good solid yank when you set the hook to get through it.

So, give the drag an initial setting, and you can always tweak it as you're fighting a fish. I tend to mess with it constantly just so the fish can take more line as it gets tired.

Remember to keep your rod tip up. Always want some bend in the rod. If the drag isn't keeping an arc in the rod, it's too loose.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:09 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Scott (or anyone else :-D ), where do you generally like to set the drag when you're bass fishing?

I like my drag like my women... not too loose, not too tight. :-D

Basically I'll pull line off the reel with my hand, adjusting to where it takes a good tug to pull line off the drag. Too tight and the line might break, too loose and when the fish really pulls, the reel might ... overspool? I forget the term for it... but basically the reel will spin faster than the line coming off of it, which can result in something called backlash, which is a bunch of tangled line on the reel that unwound with no where to go. Also if it's too loose it can pull line off when you're trying to set the hook instead of actually setting the hook. Bass have boney mouths so you need a laser-sharpened hook and a good solid yank when you set the hook to get through it.

So, give the drag an initial setting, and you can always tweak it as you're fighting a fish. I tend to mess with it constantly just so the fish can take more line as it gets tired.

Remember to keep your rod tip up. Always want some bend in the rod. If the drag isn't keeping an arc in the rod, it's too loose.

Good deal. And I just read something about hooking onto something stationary and tugging on that like you're fighting a fish and setting it off of that. Like you said, you'll have to change it as you fight the fish, but that's a decent initial setting idea I think.

I think I'll take the boy out to a lake I've been reading about that has some nice bass in it and see if we can't get lucky.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:18 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Good deal. And I just read something about hooking onto something stationary and tugging on that like you're fighting a fish and setting it off of that. Like you said, you'll have to change it as you fight the fish, but that's a decent initial setting idea I think.

I think I'll take the boy out to a lake I've been reading about that has some nice bass in it and see if we can't get lucky.

Just as effective and alot simpler to tug it with your hand a few inches from the reel.

Water's getting colder, so not sure how actively the fish will be feeding, but by all means, take your son fishing. May want to try live baits to give them extra incentive to feed.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:29 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Just as effective and alot simpler to tug it with your hand a few inches from the reel.

Water's getting colder, so not sure how actively the fish will be feeding, but by all means, take your son fishing. May want to try live baits to give them extra incentive to feed.

Yeah, I was going to see what live bait the guy we usually go to suggest, but also picking up some of those Texas jigs as well to see how they work.

Oh, and I found a buddy that ice fishes every year (except last year :-B ) so I'll hopefully get to tag along one of these cold days and get in on the action. I'll find this thread if there's anything to brag about. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:49 pm

Turtles? Ever fished for turtles? I've never done it, but I've caught a couple snappers in my dad's creek out at the farm. Big one too, for this far north anyway, about 3 feet from nose to tail. I read somewhere that people fish for snapping turtles and I was curious if you've ever been and if you've ever eaten them and how they tasted. Heard in some locations that's what they fish for almost exclusively so they must be good.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk