Anyone else think that..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone else think that.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone else think that.....

Postby mattb47 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:26 pm

Anyone else think that Champ Bailey is a little overrated? What I think after having watched him play is that he is an extremely aggressive CB who goes for INTs and things a lot, but he tends to do so too often and so if there's a smart QB on the other side (say Peyton Manning for example), he can get burned big time because they take advantage of his overagressive nature. Most QBs are a little scared away by the aggressiveness, but a QB who is confident in his throwing ability can go after him and beat him. This is something I've gathered from watching him play....any thoughts?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:32 pm

hard to call a cb overrated when no one ever throws at him.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:49 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:hard to call a cb overrated when no one ever throws at him.

How does he have all those INTs if no one ever throws at him? ;-)
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:53 pm

The Broncos have only played 2 teams with very good #1 WRs and here is how they fared:

Week 1: Torry Holt (STL) - 7 rec for 80 yds

Week 6: Randy Moss (OAK) - 8 rec for 86 yds

Not great but definitely not comletely shut down and considering that Peyton Manning is a much better QB than either of these two guys have and I have to think that Bailey will have his hands full and be exposed this week.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:57 pm

mattb47 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:hard to call a cb overrated when no one ever throws at him.

i wouldnt say interceptions tells the story of how often a guy is thrown at. it's more of a case of a guy capitilizing on his opportunities. i mean look at deion sanders. he was the most feared shutdown corner of the 90's, maybe ever, and his int's are comparable to champs.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:08 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

i wouldnt say interceptions tells the story of how often a guy is thrown at. it's more of a case of a guy capitilizing on his opportunities. i mean look at deion sanders. he was the most feared shutdown corner of the 90's, maybe ever, and his int's are comparable to champs.

It was a joke.....wasn't saying that interceptions tell the story of how often a guy is thrown at.....
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:31 pm

I'd say the term "shutdown corner" should be extinct now with all the rules in place that prevent CBs from hitting WRs. Bailey picked up his moniker before most of the rules were created and it'll stick until his physical talent declines to Ty Law levels.

People can call him overrated, but the constant use of the term "overrated" has become overrated. Bailey is a good corner. But the public exposure of his name will always draw the overrated tag. Kinda applies to any player with a broad name recognition.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Crippler » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:37 pm

I dont think he's as good as he is made out to be. The Bronco's defense is awesome, but Bailey gets more credit than he deserves. He gets so many INTs because he goes for them so often. Like someone previously posted, if he's against a smart QB he is going to get burned often.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:40 pm

Crippler wrote:Like someone previously posted, if he's against a smart QB he is going to get burned often.

But the thing is, this can apply to any cornerback. So what exactly does a corner need to do to not be called overrated? (not pinpointing you Crippler, just a general question to anyone)
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:00 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
Crippler wrote:Like someone previously posted, if he's against a smart QB he is going to get burned often.

But the thing is, this can apply to any cornerback. So what exactly does a corner need to do to not be called overrated? (not pinpointing you Crippler, just a general question to anyone)

Be equal to or better than Deion?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk