Bulger @ San Diego - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bulger @ San Diego

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bulger @ San Diego

Postby BigMusky » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:25 pm

why is everyone stating the he is a must start this week? i dont get it.

Bulger had big games against

Lions
GB
Arizona
and Seattle at Home , but the Rams even moved the ball against Denver with ease at home (just could not put any in the endzone)

So he has basically beaten up on sisters of the poor.

San Diego on the other hand

has killed 3 people, stopped the superbowl champs, and who really shuts down the Chiefs in Arrowhead anyway. Merriman is playing and although not on roids on Sunday...will probably still have residual effects.

People point to Bulgers last game vs San Diego...in 2002. Give me a break, totally different team and player then. The guy has basically been turnover free, which might be a product of the new offense or the teams he has played.

I am just no convinced, so please do so.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:38 pm

San Diego isn't the same defense they were early in the season. It's as simple as that. Also consider that their "dominating" performances were against some of the worse offenses in the NFL (OAK, TEN, BAL, SF....although they gave up 19 pts to SF). They are without DE Igor Olshansky which is a big hit to that defense and a big reason why they had trouble slowing down KC last week.

If a KC offense that had been struggling was able to put up 30 pts, with Damon Huard throwing for 232 yds and 2 TDs, how much more do you think a better QB like Bulger with a better offense, better WRs, will do this week against a beaten up SD defense?

The four games you listed as Bulger's big games just happen to be the last 4 he has played. Could it possibly be that the offense finally started to get ahold of the new system they were running and began to play well? I think so. Ever since they had their first good breakout game, that offense has been playing well and should be in for another good showing htis week.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Bulger has been improving as he becomes more comfortable in the new offensive system as well. At this point unless you have spectacular options or matchups Bulger is basically an every week starter in most leagues
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Bulger @ San Diego

Postby Keyser_WV » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:07 pm

BigMusky wrote:why is everyone stating the he is a must start this week? i dont get it.

Bulger had big games against

Lions
GB
Arizona
and Seattle at Home , but the Rams even moved the ball against Denver with ease at home (just could not put any in the endzone)

So he has basically beaten up on sisters of the poor.

San Diego on the other hand

has killed 3 people, stopped the superbowl champs, and who really shuts down the Chiefs in Arrowhead anyway. Merriman is playing and although not on roids on Sunday...will probably still have residual effects.

People point to Bulgers last game vs San Diego...in 2002. Give me a break, totally different team and player then. The guy has basically been turnover free, which might be a product of the new offense or the teams he has played.

I am just no convinced, so please do so.

I have watched him alot over the years due to having him on my teams and also following him at WVU.

He is a very good QB who flys under the radar for whatever reason.

Now that the offense is more balance he will be even more effective. I think he will have a shot at finishing top 3 this year for fantasy QB's.

I would start him with confidence this week.

My prediction:

He will throw for 250/2/1 at a minimum.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he throws for 300 on Sunday.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:34 pm

Bulger = must-start player every week
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:35 pm

Trainer of Dolphins wrote:Bulger has been improving as he becomes more comfortable in the new offensive system as well. At this point unless you have spectacular options or matchups Bulger is basically an every week starter in most leagues

It's not a new offensive system. Linehan gave up on the new system sometime around week 3, and the Ram's have reverted back to the old system with the old numbered routes. Coincidentally, Torry Holt has been scoring TDs in every game since they switched back.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Goody » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:58 pm

mattb47 wrote:San Diego isn't the same defense they were early in the season. It's as simple as that. Also consider that their "dominating" performances were against some of the worse offenses in the NFL (OAK, TEN, BAL, SF....although they gave up 19 pts to SF). They are without DE Igor Olshansky which is a big hit to that defense and a big reason why they had trouble slowing down KC last week.

If a KC offense that had been struggling was able to put up 30 pts, with Damon Huard throwing for 232 yds and 2 TDs, how much more do you think a better QB like Bulger with a better offense, better WRs, will do this week against a beaten up SD defense?

The four games you listed as Bulger's big games just happen to be the last 4 he has played. Could it possibly be that the offense finally started to get ahold of the new system they were running and began to play well? I think so. Ever since they had their first good breakout game, that offense has been playing well and should be in for another good showing htis week.

But I thought you said who teams play make a difference? Why don't you think STL is overrated but you think Denver's defense is overrated because they have played weak offenses? Seems contradicting? I'm not bashing you, just wondering.
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mattb47 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:10 pm

Goody wrote:
mattb47 wrote:San Diego isn't the same defense they were early in the season. It's as simple as that. Also consider that their "dominating" performances were against some of the worse offenses in the NFL (OAK, TEN, BAL, SF....although they gave up 19 pts to SF). They are without DE Igor Olshansky which is a big hit to that defense and a big reason why they had trouble slowing down KC last week.

But I thought you said who teams play make a difference? Why don't you think STL is overrated but you think Denver's defense is overrated because they have played weak offenses? Seems contradicting? I'm not bashing you, just wondering.

Yes, it makes a difference, but you also have to take into account that we all knew this offense would take off at some point, and they have been basically unstoppable. It's not the same concept I used for the Denver defense, because unlike the Denver defense, there is a definite point at which the STL offense started to click and play well....and they have done so ever since then. Also because the STL offense didn't do poorly against Denver in week 1, they were just having a rough time getting the ball into the endzone, they were in position to score 7 times though.

The only real poor game, if you can call it poor, is his 185 yd, 1 TD, 0 INT performance against SF. Since then he's had 300+ yards 3 out of 4 games and has thrown 9 TDs and only 1 INT.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:21 pm

Who the heck do you have that you consider benching Bulger?

Time to trade away some QBs.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:12 pm

I have owned Bulger for many seasons and he just never seems to have good games, on the road, outdoors against good defenses. If he shows up this week, i would consider him must start going forward...

his split stats support this: Indoor 3:1 TD/INT ratio, Outdoor 1:1 TD/INT similiar stats apply to home/road ratio...passer rating also 20pts lower for both.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk