How do you guys pick kickers? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How do you guys pick kickers?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How do you guys pick kickers?

Postby codered7 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:27 pm

I'm cursed with kickers... I've been doing a kicker by commitee thing based on matchups, since I dont got gould, kaeding, or wilkins.

so far I've played
stover wk4-2pts
carney wk5-6pts
Novak wk6-2pts
Novak wk7-2pts(OMG HE MISSED 2 fgs 40s)

average 3pts at my fg kicker positon... this is killn me since my opponents usually score mad fgs and avg at least 10 against me.

What should I do??!? Am I just cursed???
codered7
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:30 pm

I usually just randomly pick somebody :-)
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:37 pm

If you played Novak 2 weeks (who wasn't even Washington's first string kicker at the start of the year), then you've got to seriously consider how you're picking matchups. I think if you had sticked with Stover or Carney, you would have been better off. Matchup doesn't matter too much, IMO. Avoid facing the Broncos or Bears, and avoid severe weather, but otherwise it doesn't matter. Try to pick a kicker from a good not great offense.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mattb47 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:42 pm

I usually don't try to play matchups as that is a very inconsistent way of picking kickers and usually will go the other way on what you were thinking. I normally just pick one guy and stick with him for the most part. Who are the kickers available in your league? I would just pick one that has been pretty accurate and getting a decent amount of points and just keep him in.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:46 pm

I just try and pick guys on good offensive teams who can make 50+ yard FGs
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slowride » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Find the kicker available with the most points up until now. Stick him in your starting line up and leave him there. Problem solved.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: How do you guys pick kickers?

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:47 pm

codered7 wrote:I'm cursed with kickers... I've been doing a kicker by commitee thing based on matchups, since I dont got gould, kaeding, or wilkins.

so far I've played
stover wk4-2pts
carney wk5-6pts
Novak wk6-2pts
Novak wk7-2pts(OMG HE MISSED 2 fgs 40s)

average 3pts at my fg kicker positon... this is killn me since my opponents usually score mad fgs and avg at least 10 against me.

What should I do??!? Am I just cursed???

A good way to choose a kicker, is to throw out the kickers ability and just look at how many points that team has scored. (unless you get -points for missed FG's)

ie, even though Vanderjagt has been streaky, the Cowboys have put up a decent amount of points every game. you are pretty much guaranteed at least 5 points with Vandy. (not always, but usually)

The weeks he has played, he has scored 11, 9, 6, 10, and 2 points

So while not consistently huge number, it sure beats 2's and 3's ;-D

BTW, I chose Vandy b/c he is on most waiver wires right now. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:51 pm

slowride wrote:Find the kicker available with the most points up until now. Stick him in your starting line up and leave him there. Problem solved.

That's where I'd be if I were you.

More proactively, plan a little better. Pick a kicker with your last pick at the draft and pickup the best available kicker around week three/four. There always seems to be an undrafted kicker come out of nowhere... ie. Rackers last year and Gould this year.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ateam » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:05 pm

I see all kickers available in my league, then research their college histories. I screen out anyone who missed an extra point. Then I screen out those that weren't top ten in any year, then I screen out dome teams, and higher elevation schools. Anyone that wasn't top ten in touchbacks then gets eliminated, and out of remaining kickers I go with the best facemask.
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Matthias » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:13 pm

What? You draft someone like Akers, Vanderjagt, or Elam. You play them. On their bye week, you pick up whoever else.

If you fail to do this, then you pick up whoever has been doing well and play them. I mean, honestly, choosing a kicker is not a weekly endeavor.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk