How do you guys pick kickers? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How do you guys pick kickers?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Ricky_Christ » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Flux wrote:I just try and pick guys on good offensive teams who can make 50+ yard FGs

Agreed. No sense getting too clever about a position that's impossible to predict. Good offense, solid leg, good history. Just play him every week.
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigMusky » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:15 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Go to your waiver wire and pickup the top scoring kicker that is not on bye this week. Hang onto him for 4 weeks and then repeat if you're dissatisfied with your kicker.

Better yet, if you can sort scoring on a week by week basis, take the top scoring kicker over the last 4 weeks (as opposed to total points for the season) and pick him up.

One thing I've learned about kickers. Hot kickers stay hot and cold kickers stay cold. If you jump back and forth on kickers each week that is like selling low and buy high on stocks, and a surefire way to lose points.

I agree with this.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:24 pm

Crippler wrote:
ateam wrote:I see all kickers available in my league, then research their college histories. I screen out anyone who missed an extra point. Then I screen out those that weren't top ten in any year, then I screen out dome teams, and higher elevation schools. Anyone that wasn't top ten in touchbacks then gets eliminated, and out of remaining kickers I go with the best facemask.

And after 72 hours of research you are left with Martin Gramatica ;-)

That's odd... I came up with his brother, Bill.

Anyways, I just look for teams that sputter in the redzone. Stover is a good example. And matchups do play a small part in a kickers performance. A kicker on a weak offensive team is not going to have many (if any) chances to kick a FG if his team is up against a strong defensive team. Hard to set the kicker up for FGs when the offense can't cross the 50. Unless that team is planning on him kicking a bunch of 60+ yard FGs.

Actually, then maybe the kicker would be worth a gamble since a lot of leagues give bonus points to long kicks. :-?
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mrblitz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:32 pm

Flip a coin. Alot of people wasted a pretty early draft pick for Rackers. And look at what happens. Personally I have a rule of thumb... Take your kicker with the last pick in the draft. It works pretty well, I promise you.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: How do you guys pick kickers?

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:36 pm

codered7 wrote:I'm cursed with kickers... I've been doing a kicker by commitee thing based on matchups, since I dont got gould, kaeding, or wilkins.

so far I've played
stover wk4-2pts
carney wk5-6pts
Novak wk6-2pts
Novak wk7-2pts(OMG HE MISSED 2 fgs 40s)

average 3pts at my fg kicker positon... this is killn me since my opponents usually score mad fgs and avg at least 10 against me.

What should I do??!? Am I just cursed???

its a crap shoot, last year no one knew rackers was money until halfway thru the year, this year i jus guessed on a K in the last rd, while rackers was picked in like rd 6(very dumb), after like 2 or 3 weeks wilkins was sitting in the FA pool, undrafted, and no one pays attention to Kickers like that, i picked him up late and he won me 2 games at least, no telling how he finishes, but picking kickers for high scoring teams can help, they get you money for xp's, but if a team scores mostly td's, you wont get fg points....

no one knows kickers, its always like rolling dice, just take your pick
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ateam » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:40 pm

mrblitz wrote:Flip a coin. Alot of people wasted a pretty early draft pick for Rackers. And look at what happens. Personally I have a rule of thumb... Take your kicker with the last pick in the draft. It works pretty well, I promise you.

Some truth here. Last year I picked up some Rackers guy that nobody had drafted and held tight. This year after week 2 I picked up some Gould guy that again went undrafted. Both happen to lead league in Fantasy points for kickers. But for the bye weeks, I combo skill/past perf. with matchup, as well as the unable to punch it in factor (any team playing the Bears for instance).
Last edited by ateam on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby skinsfan » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:46 pm

Well, I pierce my nipples with ancient sticks once used by the Aztecs, implore the gods for an answer, and drown a raccoon. Then I start Gould ;-D
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Infidel » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:56 pm

I agree with watching the WW and after 3-4 weeks you will find your guy. I found gold in Gould this year, last year Touchy Feeley. Same with D's. Can't remember the last year I ended up with the D or K I drafted. People don't watch the WW for either. But I do. Matchups are meaningless for K's. Just pick a hot guy and stay with him until he tanks or someone else reappears based on last 3-4 weeks, not 1.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:49 pm

Good offences that cant finish drives make for the best kickers. Arizona last year, to some extent Chicago this year. Generally, kickers on high powered offences are good.
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:38 am

Always pick the kicker with the hottest girlfriend or wife.

spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk