picking up players/ blocking opponent - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

picking up players/ blocking opponent

Moderator: Football Moderators

picking up players/ blocking opponent

Postby woodog22 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:52 pm

Is it wrong to pick up players knowing you're trying to block your opponent from starting them against you?

ex.
My opponent has no RB week 9 and needs to pick up M. Bell or Lundy.
E. Manning QB J. Kinta QB
R. Johnson RB S. Morris RB A. Harris RB R. Dayne RB
S. Smith WR J. Walker WR L. Coles WR M. Colston WR
A. Gates TE
N. Kaeding K
Jags DEF Pitt DEF
woodog22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:58 pm

Ha, first off they shouldn't even be available anyway! ;-)

Second...you have to check the rules of the league, but there's probably nothing implicitly stating you can't pick people up and stash them since you never know when you may need to use them. However, if you just pick them up and dump them so no one can pick them up (known as roster churning), that is a no-no. Once again, it might not be stated in your league rules, but it's a pretty common rule that most people have that should be followed.

You'd have to clear up some room on your roster to pick those guys up as it is, and you probably don't have any extra room. My guess is that you'll just have to hope he doesn't pick one of them up...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 am

perfectly fine strategy
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:31 am

i do it in my leagues when i have roster space i dont care about, though i might be looking to pick up both those guys to keep for good if i were you :-) ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:59 am

Funny... I started the year stacked in WR, and there have been no trades in my money league. But now I've just got 4 WR, and at RB I've got:

Tiki, KJ, Leon, Wali, Jamal, Mike Bell, and MJD, because I'm DYING to get anyone to trade WRs. People are definitely looking for guys like Lundy and Bell at this point. Demand is only going to rise. I don't want to carry seven RB on my roster... but I'm not making it easy for other teams to get what they need, if they're not going to trade what I need. Doing this has kept my division much closer... top is 5-3, and the bottom is 3-5.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:17 am

totally fine. I think people misinterpret the "hamper" comment yahoo makes.

I thinkt hey mean using procedural loopholes to block people is outlawed. But picking up opponents can't be. Otherwise, you trying to win is also "hampering" your opponents play. Its still a competitive enterprise and you don't have to hand the tools of your defeat to your opponents.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ateam » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:46 am

Perfectly appropriate strategy.
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:39 pm

Fine as long as you do it in moderation. Funny this topic has been popping up a lot.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:48 pm

As long as there is no rule against it, it's fair.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby onnestabe » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:55 pm

I don't see anything wrong with this strategy. It's not like you are picking up guys that have no chance of ever starting for you. Mike Bell could be a stud for you if Tatum Bell can't get over his turf toes.

It kinda makes me think about a trade I just made (I am pretending like you guys care about this)...I gave Steve Smith and Leon Washington for Housh and Ahman Green. My main rationale for doing it was how good Housh and Green's playoff schedules were, but an added benefit is that Smith and Washington have byes this week and Housh and Green were starters for the other owner. He is one game behind me and in the playoff hunt, and taking away two of his starters for one week almost guarantees him a loss, increasing my chances of making the playoffs (where I will have superior matchups). Even if Smith and Washington put up the same number of points as Housh and Green from here on out, I will consider that trade a success if it keeps that guy out of the playoffs.

My main point for the digression was that there is more to FF than just making your roster as good as possible - there are also a few ways that you can make the other guy worse. Defense wins championships ;-D
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk