QB/WR and WR vs RB and RB - Draft Strategy Verdict - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

QB/WR and WR vs RB and RB - Draft Strategy Verdict

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby benb18a » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:21 am

I agree with bobbing_headz. Next year, I am going to go RB/WR unless theres an absolute steal still there. But I would much rather have a Portis/Steve Smith core than take my chance on a young unproven back.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:44 am

the thing is, the rb-rb strategy is SO ingrained in everyone, that if you can get two truly elite wr's they are performing at around a level of the beacks anyway. they will never perform at the level of the backs taken in the first 3-4 picks, but can produce like the other ones. Christ, you could have had steve smith and holt if you did it this year.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Football Fan » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:33 am

My first 2 drafts in Fantasy Football..

Team is 7-1
1. LT
2. Boldin (had the chance to pick TO... Bahhh.. Didn't think Warner would be benched so early in the season)
3. Westbrook
4. Chambers

Team is 6-2
1. R. Johnson
2. S. Jackson
3. Buress (Packaged with like a bench RB for Holt)
4. Driver

Yeah... If you have the 1st few picks, I'd say go with something like RB - WR - RB; if you have the last few, if the top QBs are there take them, but if they aren't, go with RB-RB.
Football Fan
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:02 am

dont post your team if you went RB-WR or any other combination besides WR-WR QB-WR RB-RB

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for Rockets so I apologize in advance.

I totally agree with what onnestabe posted and also want to add that the league requirements, scoring system, & type league (redraft/keeper/dynasty) have a huge part in how you draft. I honestly don't think you can look at the 1st 2 draft picks of any team and say that's why a team is doing good or bad. Like abe said, good middle/late round drafting can make or break a team. And injuries can screw things up as well.

onnestabe wrote:I think if anything, your analysis will further prove that your middle/late round choices have more to do with your success than your early choices. To clarify - you can overcome mediocre production from your first and second round picks by drafting well in the later rounds (and being quick on the WW).

Team 1
Drafted 10th out of 12. Crazy flex position dynasty league initial draft. .5 PPR. We start QB, QB/RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR/TE, & TE. I went Rudi/S.Smith/Chambers/Wayne. I got F.Taylor in the 8th and Favre in the 10th. I'm currently 7-1 and tied for 1st.

Team 2
Drafted 12th out of 12. Dynasty league initial draft. .5 PPR. We start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE. I went DD(early draft)/Fitz/Deuce/Harrison. No notable mid/late round gems but I got Bush with the 1st pick in the rookie draft. DD going on IR left me scrambling for RB's and I'm currently 2-6 in 11th place.

Team 3
Drafted 2nd out of 12. Redraft league. 1 PPR. We start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 2TE. I went LT2/DD(early draft)/R.Moss/Driver. You'd think I'd be screwed again by taking DD in the 2nd round. I got FWP in the 5th, Bulger in the 6th, Vick in the 11th, A.Green in the 13th, & Balt D in the 19th (20 round draft). I got lucky with a lot of mid/late round gems and I'm currently 6-2 in 2nd place (#1 in points).

Team 4
Drafted 6th out of 10. Dynasty league initial draft. No PPR. We start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE. I went Edge/Manning/R.Moss/J.Lewis. 24 round draft. I got S. Moss in the 5th, Heap in the 8th, A.Green in the 9th, Muhammad in the 13th, Henry in the 15th, & Leon Washington in the 21st. This league is the closest of any of my leagues. I'm current 5-3 and tied for 1st with 3 other teams and then 4 teams are 1 game back at 4-4. So we have 8 out of 10 teams at 5-3 or 4-4.

Team 5
Drafted 11th out of 12 in an initial 6 round keeper draft (kept only 4), then drafted 2nd in the regular draft. We will keep only 3 players next year. 1 PPR. We start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE. I went Rudi/S.Smith/Javon/DD (early draft). Then I got F. Taylor in the 6th, Eli in the 7th, Coles in the 8th, & Chic D in the 11th. Started 3-0 but now on a 5 game slide so I'm 3-5 in 9th place.

Team 6
Drafted 10th out of 12. Redraft league. .5 PPR. We start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE. I went R.Brown/McGahee/DJax/Plax. I got Bulger in the 6th, & Coles in the 8th. I'm currently 7-1 and in 1st place.

So basically I really don't think you can just look at the 1st 2 picks in any draft and accurately see how those 2 picks affected the team. There are too many other variables that come into play. Then the ultimate factor is starting the right players each week. By only looking at the 1st 2 picks I think you will find equal amounts of teams that are doing good, so-so, and bad.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby freestyleses » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:32 am

round 1 (pick#9): Portis
round 2 (pick #16): Westbrook

record: 6-2 (1st place)

and my 9-16 picks have all been dropped for one reason or another for Free Agent pickups
freestyleses
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moose162 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:09 am

12 team league, 9th pick.

1.09-Edge
2.16-Fast Willie Parker

4-4 although I'm 2nd in points.
moose162
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:59 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:

So basically I really don't think you can just look at the 1st 2 picks in any draft and accurately see how those 2 picks affected the team. There are too many other variables that come into play. Then the ultimate factor is starting the right players each week. By only looking at the 1st 2 picks I think you will find equal amounts of teams that are doing good, so-so, and bad.

Thanks for the detailed response ;-D

And I would have to agree with you - the early results indicate that you can pick two complete busts at the RB position (Edge and for example FWP) and still have a decent season. With this "analysis" of draft strategies, I was trying to see 1) if it made a difference (record -wise) whether you drafted RB-RB or QB-WR or WR-WR or WR-RB and 2)whether or not a team can rebound from two bad first round picks. I thnk if this shows anything is that you can go "out of the box" and gamble on a different strategy (especially last years draft - look at how many quality RB's were available - were they risks? Yes. But on some of the teams it has paid off).

I'm not trying to find sme magic forumula for a draft strategy, just trying to get a general sense of which draft strategy seemed to work the best last year and maybe that can be helpful for next year (maybe some people dont stick to the RB-RB plan no matter what). And I also agree that there are a ton of varilables that are in play here - but if that is what the data shows so be it - maybe it doesnt.

So keep coming with the responses - I am more interested in WR-WR QB-WR or RB-RB responses but feel free to post your first two picks even if it didnt follow that (RB-WR for example). ;-D
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby obryant13 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:23 pm

LaDainian Tomlinson
LaMont Jordan

6-2 (2nd Place)....and the 1st places teams only loss was to me
Greg Jennings for ROTY
obryant13
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mrblitz » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:19 pm

Obviously, your scoring system, starting position requirements weigh heavily into your drafting technique. I personally won't ever reveal my winning formula. :-b

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:15 pm

mrblitz wrote: I personally won't ever reveal my winning formula. :-b

The cafe is such a good site because people share their insights. Not because people can just "run up" post counts.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk