QB/WR and WR vs RB and RB - Draft Strategy Verdict - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

QB/WR and WR vs RB and RB - Draft Strategy Verdict

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:31 pm

Pete123444 wrote:
mrblitz wrote: I personally won't ever reveal my winning formula. :-b


The cafe is such a good site because people share their insights. Not because people can just "run up" post counts.


I concur. :-b
Image

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17169
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 12 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New York State Of Mind: 18-1

Postby Matthias » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:27 pm

mrblitz wrote:Obviously, your scoring system, starting position requirements weigh heavily into your drafting technique. I personally won't ever reveal my winning formula. :-b


One year my brother and I just drafted players that we liked from the previous year's Madden like L. Coles. We didn't know who he was, but he had a 95 speed!

Finished the year in first.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Richie Rich » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:52 pm

I picked 9th out of 12th...

1st rd. (9) Rudi Johnson
2nd rd. (16) Steven Jackson
3rd rd. (33) Warrick Dunn


I am currently 5-2-1 in 2nd place.

edit: why do i have a cowboys helmet as an avatar? i've never even set an avatar? lol, how do i get rid of it? it won't work when i "delete" from my profile!
QB: Sanchez
RB: CJ, LT
WR: White, Jennings,
TE: Shockey
W/R:
K: Rackers
Defense: NO
BN: Marshall, Ward, Bess, VJax, Lynch, Favre

12 Team H2H Yahoo! PPR League
Richie Rich
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1118
Joined: 11 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:45 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Pete123444 wrote:
mrblitz wrote: I personally won't ever reveal my winning formula. :-b


The cafe is such a good site because people share their insights. Not because people can just "run up" post counts.


I concur. :-b


Me too. :-b
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:23 am

In my first league in FF we draft early, usually late July. We score PPR, play 2 WR and a WR/RB flex. I had the 11th pick in a 12 teamer. I went Steve Smith and TO. I then got lucky as Willie Parker was there in the third, McGahee in the 4th and Kevin Jones in the 5th. My QBs have bombed, thanks to the statuesque Drew Blowsoe, but I have managed to get off to a 6-2 start. Good for a first place tie.

Given how many of the top RBs have struggled this season I have to think that an elite WR is a must in the first two rounds, regardless of draft position.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Postby tecmobowl12 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:51 am

How about a WR-WR-WR-TE combo! I'm not making this up:

12 Team Yahoo Std.


#1 (6-2, 2nd pick): SA, Holt

#10 (3-5, 4th pick): Tiki, Harrison (my team)

#12 (2-6, 7th pick): S. Smith, Fitzgerald, Wayne, Shockey (haha)

If you were curious, here is the last place team's post-draft lineup:

QB - Plummer
WR - Smith
WR - Fitzgerald
WR - Wayne
RB - Addai
RB - Benson
TE - Shockey
K - Vinatieri
D - Seattle
BN - Farve
BN - Duckett
BN - Lloyd
BN - Moulds
BN - Kaeding
BN - Philadelphia

And here is the first place (thanks McNabb!)

QB - McNabb
WR - Holt
WR - Owens
WR - A. Johnson
RB - Alexander
RB - Domanick Davis
TE - Heap
K - Elam
D - Pittsburgh
BN - Porter
BN - Brooks
BN - Fred Taylor
BN - Givens
BN - Longwell
BN - Miami
tecmobowl12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 346
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:56 am

moochman wrote:Given how many of the top RBs have struggled this season I have to think that an elite WR is a must in the first two rounds, regardless of draft position.


No. There's clearly RBs who should be the first players off the board: LJ, SA, Tomlinson, this year Tiki, Steven Jackson, and Portis. Those are reliable players (except for SA's foot this year) who you have to take. Drafting a WR becomes compelling when you're choosing between a WR and an RB who has a fair chance of crapping the bed that year.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:29 am

Matthias wrote:
moochman wrote:Given how many of the top RBs have struggled this season I have to think that an elite WR is a must in the first two rounds, regardless of draft position.


No. There's clearly RBs who should be the first players off the board: LJ, SA, Tomlinson, this year Tiki, Steven Jackson, and Portis. Those are reliable players (except for SA's foot this year) who you have to take. Drafting a WR becomes compelling when you're choosing between a WR and an RB who has a fair chance of crapping the bed that year.


Actually, I agree. The top 5-6 backs with the exception of SA, have been good. LJ, LT, Tiki, Portis, SJax have all been good. It's just the later backs. Maybe then you should go WR/WR or RB/WR if you have a later pick?
Image
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5602
Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: North of the Border

Postby Matthias » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:34 am

bobbing_headz wrote:
Matthias wrote:
moochman wrote:Given how many of the top RBs have struggled this season I have to think that an elite WR is a must in the first two rounds, regardless of draft position.


No. There's clearly RBs who should be the first players off the board: LJ, SA, Tomlinson, this year Tiki, Steven Jackson, and Portis. Those are reliable players (except for SA's foot this year) who you have to take. Drafting a WR becomes compelling when you're choosing between a WR and an RB who has a fair chance of crapping the bed that year.


Actually, I agree. The top 5-6 backs with the exception of SA, have been good. LJ, LT, Tiki, Portis, SJax have all been good. It's just the later backs. Maybe then you should go WR/WR or RB/WR if you have a later pick?


That's the basic idea. The whole value in drafting an early running back is in his points consistency: that week in and week out they will put up 12+. If your best option is something that is a gamble, however, then a steady, sure WR or QB (well, Peyton) becomes appealing.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kev8821 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:40 pm

Portis
Smith
W. Parker

7-1 (soon to be 8-1)

10 team Yahoo League (8th pick)
kev8821
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 529
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 6 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bay Area, California

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dawinner127 and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 6:06 hours
(and 41 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact