Gates vs Winslow..Who wins? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Gates vs Winslow..Who wins?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KOSTAS » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:37 pm

You can keep em both cause Vernon Davis is going to be the best TE in the NFL very soon. He might have already been there had he not had the bad break early in the year.

He is fast, he is big/ strong and he can catch everything close.

Like having a RB/ WR lining up on the wing. He will redefine the position.
KOSTAS
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ampant » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:37 pm

KOSTAS wrote:You can keep em both cause Vernon Davis is going to be the best TE in the NFL very soon. He might have already been there had he not had the bad break early in the year.

You are probably right, but I wouldn't hang my cleats on that argument just yet. A lot of people were expecting huge things out of Reggie Bush this year too. Davis has yet to prove anything in the NFL. While Gates has been a consistent stud, and Winslow has at least 1/2 a great season at the top.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KOSTAS » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:52 pm

ampant wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:You can keep em both cause Vernon Davis is going to be the best TE in the NFL very soon. He might have already been there had he not had the bad break early in the year.

You are probably right, but I wouldn't hang my cleats on that argument just yet. A lot of people were expecting huge things out of Reggie Bush this year too. Davis has yet to prove anything in the NFL. While Gates has been a consistent stud, and Winslow has at least 1/2 a great season at the top.

very true.
I just don't like the way they continually feed LT the ball in SD. It really mitigates Gates' value. You know Davis is going to get the rock alot in SF. Smith has a nice arm too.
KOSTAS
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:19 pm

KOSTAS wrote:Like having a RB/ WR lining up on the wing. He will redefine the position.

How will VD redefine the TE position any more than what Gonzo and Gates have done already?? Is he going to backflip over the d-line and catch the ball in mid-air? Is he going to somehow levitate and block 3 blitzers at once by lying horizontal?

Davis will not redefine anything. He's a physical freak thats all. He won't be a good overall TE until he learns how to block well either.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KOSTAS » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:25 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:Like having a RB/ WR lining up on the wing. He will redefine the position.

How will VD redefine the TE position any more than what Gonzo and Gates have done already?? Is he going to backflip over the d-line and catch the ball in mid-air? Is he going to somehow levitate and block 3 blitzers at once by lying horizontal?

Davis will not redefine anything. He's a physical freak thats all. He won't be a good overall TE until he learns how to block well either.

well for starters he is much faster than those guys you mentioned. He is basically a WR playing at TE. That's all I meant. As far as blocking, he is super strong so all he has to improve on is technique. But let's be real, he is in there for his offense.
KOSTAS
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:30 pm

KOSTAS wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:

well for starters he is much faster than those guys you mentioned. He is basically a WR playing at TE. That's all I meant. As far as blocking, he is super strong so all he has to improve on is technique. But let's be real, he is in there for his offense.

Heh, I was just nit-picking over your use of the word "redefine." VD has all the makings of being a special TE. Just not this year though.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KOSTAS » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:32 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:

Heh, I was just nit-picking over your use of the word "redefine." VD has all the makings of being a special TE. Just not this year though.

Agreed. He is a rook.
KOSTAS
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby louddonkey » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:12 pm

KOSTAS wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:

He wont redefine anything, hes a workout warrior, so what? there are plenty of tight ends out there faster than gates ala ben watson, that doesnt mean a whole lot, in the red zone especially, where TEs are most vital. Size and body control are much more important down there. Davis is actually rather undersized for a TE at 6'2". Hes just another overhyped rookie who wasnt even sniffing a top 10 selection based on his performance at Maryland until he ran a fast 40 in a pair of shorts. If teams wanted a WR playing TE, they would put a reciever at TE... Dont get me wrong, he'll probably be a very good player but to say hes goin to redefine the position just cuz you heard he ran a 40 in the 4.3s is ridiculous.
louddonkey
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Colston, Winslow and Gates........

Postby RudyBlue » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:54 pm

I have all three in a few leagues, two in most. Depending on the match-up or bye-week, I play mostly Colston and Winslow. I have 28 yahoo leagues and have winning records in 21 of them, mostly thanks to Colston, Winslow and Jennings.

I picked up Winslow in the drafts whenever I could despite the fact that people were so down on him here because I just had a hunch. I watched his father play in San Diego and if the saying "like father, like son" held true, I figured he'd be a good one despite his big mouth and foolish ways.

I picked up Colston about two weeks into the season wherever I could because of reading about him here and seeing his double eligibility as TE/WR. That makes him doubly valuable and I knew he'd be good because of Brees.

I also picked up Jennings because of reading about him here and I haven't regretted it yet despite his ankle injury. He's going to do me some good in the play-off's because it'll be Farve's last season and he's going to want to go out good. (Another hunch)

I am truly amazed at how much machoism affects men's thinking. Winslow is a big blowhard so he can't be any good! Hmmm. Hasn't proved true in fantasy football stats this year. And I guess I should appreciate this machoism since it let me get Winslow in so many of my leagues. But mostly what I'm grateful for is that I'm a woman and can think straight when it suits me. :)

Blue
RudyBlue
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Colston, Winslow and Gates........

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:08 pm

RudyBlue wrote:I am truly amazed at how much machoism affects men's thinking. Winslow is a big blowhard so he can't be any good! Hmmm. Hasn't proved true in fantasy football stats this year. And I guess I should appreciate this machoism since it let me get Winslow in so many of my leagues. But mostly what I'm grateful for is that I'm a woman and can think straight when it suits me. :)

Blue

I don't think it was men's machoism that kept a lot of people from drafting Winslow higher in fantasy leagues. It was probably him missing two years because of injury and stupidity and being on the Browns.

And out of the lot of us who mock Kellen for his occassional media outbursts, I'm pretty sure most of us would like to have him on our fantasy rosters. I think right now, TO is the only player who's mouth actually makes us think twice about taking him in our fantasy drafts.

Heh, but you should continue to rub into the faces of all the guys you beat in fantasy football the fact that you're a woman. ;-D I'm sure it gets some of them all riled up, lol.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Football Talk