Mike Shula... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Mike Shula...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:59 am

There is a lot of pressure there, i mean Shula had a great year last year and then had a dwon year b/c of rebuilding. He has no offensive talent, but i think the main thing was 0-4 against Auburn, if u coach at Bama u better beat Auburn.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:46 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/s ... id=2677391

Interesting Article on the Bama program and the coaches etc.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:08 pm

Local Radio station here in Tampa reported that Spurrier was playing golf in Tuskaloosa with some Bama Boosters
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby aldridg6in » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:02 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:Here's what I heard from a friend in Tuscaloosa on Sunday. Apparently Nick Saban was in town. He didn't visit with University officals (as was stated by the AD on Monday when he said that they hadn't met with anybody) but he did meet with Bear Bryant's son who is not in anyway affiliated with the University but from what I understand he is more powerful than the University President. It sounds like they're making a strong push for Saban.

Rumors also have Spurrier in the mix, as well as the standard Rich Rodriguez and Bobby Petrino rumblings.

My question is, what does everybody think of the Alabama job? Too much pressure and not enough talent to succeed? Or with Shula's let down year will there be some time off from high expectations? And also, who realistically gets this job?

There's definitely a lot of pressure with that job. Alabama has a strong history so the next coach is going to have to do well. I very seriously doubt that Saban is anywhere near the mix on the coach search. Why would he leave Miami in year #2 to go back to a college job? I just don't see it happening.

The usual suspects are probably fair game for the job. You know the ones who have been mentioned for every other job opening so far.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby WADE » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:40 pm

I am a student here in Tuscaloosa and there is a buzz going around down here. There is supposed to be a Press Conference tommorrow on 11/30 at 2:00 central and we(Alabama) will announce our next coach. Which at this time is rumored to be Nick Saban. Its not a fact and I personally find it hard to believe but my friends parents are on the board of trustees and that is what they told me today. But also Spurrier is still flying around because The Alabama Football Plane (Paul Bear Bryant Jet?) was tracker somewhere in SC and stayed for a few hours. So who knows what really is going to happen.

Spurriers wife was also rumored to be down here checking at real estate.
WADE
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:30 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Local Radio station here in Tampa reported that Spurrier was playing golf in Tuskaloosa with some Bama Boosters

Actually Spurrier was in Ocala and Jacksonville yesturday. He spoke to an Ocala High School coached by former Gator Kerwin bell. There was even a picture in the paper of Spurrier talking to the team. I had heard the same rumor so I'm not saying you heard wrong deerayfan, just that whoever reported it may have had incorrect information.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:59 pm

From today's Tuscaloosa Times:

Tide coaching search might have first bite

By Christopher Walsh
Sports Writer

TUSCALOOSA | On a day when prominent coaches around the country were all but taking turns declaring how happy they are at their current jobs, a new name surfaced in the University of Alabama’s search for a new coach.

A source close to Houston Texans assistant head coach/offense Mike Sherman indicated that he would be interested in the position if the Crimson Tide came calling.

Previously, Sherman was the head coach of the Green Bay Packers (2000-05), guiding them to three division titles and five winning seasons.

During that stint, Sherman turned down the head coach job at Nebraska, electing to stay in Green Bay.

Meanwhile, many of the coaches being mentioned as possible candidates to replace Mike Shula -- including high-profile Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban -- continued to make public denials about having any interest in Alabama.

Tuesday, Louisville coach Bobby Petrino, who signed a 10-year contract extension last summer worth $25 million (including yearly salary increases and bonuses of $1 million at the end of the 2007, 2010 and 2013 seasons, and $2 million after the 2015 season), declared that he’s not a candidate anywhere.

“The University of Louisville made a tremendous commitment to me and I made a commitment to the University of Louisville," he said in a statement. “I’m not a candidate for any job openings."

In similar fashion, Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe was asked about Alabama on the day he was named coach of the year in the ACC.

“I don’t have any interest in other jobs," Grobe said.

“I have not been contacted by anybody. I’m perfectly happy at Wake Forest."

Chiming in with their denials were Virginia Tech’s Frank Beamer and Jim Leavitt of South Florida, targets of Alabama’s previous searches.

“I’m glad my name is mentioned," Leavitt said. “I hope my name is mentioned every year because that means we are winning. If my name is not mentioned anywhere, I may not be anywhere.

“People know how much I love this place. I don’t have any interest in anything. I’m pretty fortunate to be here."

When told a report indicated that he was a candidate, Navy coach Paul Johnson said: “Wow.

“I don’t think much about it. I haven’t thought about it at all. I’m thinking about trying to get ready to play Army."

Sherman is thought to want either a top college program or another chance at running an NFL team.

During his time in Green Bay, he also served as executive vice president for five years. From 2001-04, he did double-duty as general manager, which accelerated his downfall due to poor draft classes.

After numerous injuries, the Packers began the 2005 season 1-7, and Sherman was fired after a 4-12 finish.

Of note, his staff included Mississippi State coach Sylvester Croom and LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini.

Sherman was also the Seattle Seahawks’ offensive coordinator/tight ends coach in 1999.

Topping his college resume is seven years as the offensive line coach at Texas A&M (1989-93 and 1995-96). He also coached at UCLA, Pittsburgh, Tulane and Holy Cross.

Sherman was directly involved in the recent renovation of Lambeau Field, and always made a point to emphasize the Packers’ rich history including 12 championships.

“The tradition is a big part of it for me," he once said in Green Bay. “Coaching is exciting anywhere, but being here with all the history, tradition, all the following of the fans and all the expectations, it makes it a very special place."

Sherman also said: “Other places evaluate you by wins and losses. In Green Bay, you’re evaluated by how many championships you win."

Similar to Shula, who was fired Sunday, Sherman has a reputation of being fiercely loyal to his players and staff. For example, during the 2002 season, he engaged in a shouting match with Warren Sapp after a hit by Tampa Bay defensive tackle resulted in a serious injury to left tackle Chad Clifton.

Hiring coaches out of the NFL is again popular in college football, especially considering Pete Carroll’s success at USC and Notre Dame’s resurgence with Charlie Weis.

On Monday, three weeks after he accepted the position, Butch Davis was introduced as North Carolina’s new coach. Other names mentioned with that opening were Tulsa’s Steve Kragthorpe, West Virginia’s Rich Rodriguez and Johnson.

In similar fashion, former Arizona Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis, currently the assistant head coach of the Tennessee Titans, is interested in Arizona State’s new opening.

Alabama has hired coaches with NFL experience before, including Gene Stallings, Ray Perkins and Shula.

Meanwhile, the Tide’s current staff continued to recruit and began preparations for a potential bowl game.

Because they’re still under contract, any other program wanting to interview the assistant coaches still has to ask for permission.

Interim head coach Joe Kines has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the defensive coordinator opening at Texas.

Kines had no comment on the report, and maintained that his focus is on the Tide.

Material from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Reach Christopher Walsh at mailto:christopher.walsh@tusacloosanews.com or at 205-722-0196
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:54 am

Former Alabama QB Joe Namath weighs in on Shulas's firing:

Joe Namath, critical of Shula firing, visits Friday

By David Wasson
Executive Sports Editor

TUSCALOOSA | Joe Namath is coming back to Alabama -- only not to play quarterback or coach the Crimson Tide.

The legendary former Crimson Tide and New York Jets quarterback will be in Tuscaloosa on Friday to sign copies of his new book, “Namath."

The signing is set for 1-3 p.m. Friday at the University Supply Store inside the Ferguson Center.

The book is a glossy, 320-page effort that chronicles Namath’s first-person remembrances of his youth in Pennsylvania, his recruitment to Alabama by coach Paul W. Bryant, his playing days with the Crimson Tide and his storied career with the New York Jets.

Filled with color pictures as well as a complete statistical biography of Namath’s career, the book also comes with a full-length DVD entitled “The Legend of Broadway Joe" that was produced by NFL Network.

The book’s cover price is $29.95, and is published by Rugged Land.

In doing publicity stops to support his new book, Namath has appeared on several radio and television shows in recent days and has spoken critically of Alabama’s decision to fire coach Mike Shula.

“I do not think it’s the right move," Namath told Fox Sports Radio’s Chris Myers on Monday. “You’re the first one that has told me that, and I am suddenly ill about it. … I don’t believe he got a fair shake. I don’t believe he should have been let go at this stage because as the youngest team in the league, he’s only been there three years. He’s building this team. He won 10 games last year. Ten games!

“You take away from the kids a leader that is interested in developing the boys for life as well as a football team and you get rid of him because they didn’t beat Auburn? What other reason do they have? I think it’s screwed up. I’m very disappointed. You’re the first one who told me this and I should not be saying what I’m saying, but I feel it. It stinks!"

Reach David Wasson at david. mailto:wasson@tuscaloosanews.com or at 205-722-0229.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:00 am

From today's paper:

Spurrier rumors
Contributed by Tide Sports - Posted: November 30, 2006 12:55:33 AM

The rumor mill regarding Steve Spurrier was in overload late Wednesday night.

WVLT in Knoxville led its evening broadcast with a report on Spurrier being linked to the University of Alabama coaching search, and the various rumors circulating.

When contacted by The Tuscaloosa News, sports director Rick Russo made it clear that the station did not report a signing, a rumor which had quickly spread on the Internet.

Russo said that Spurrier's brother Graham, who lives in Johnson City, Tenn., was quoted in the story as saying he didn't believe the coach would leave South Carolina.

Meanwhile, Fox6 in Birmingham reported that Spurrier had agreed to listen to a pitch from Alabama, but did not identify a source. The Tuscaloosa News could not confirm any potential meeting.

Finally, contrary to speculation, as of 11:45 p.m. The Tuscaloosa News had not been notified of any imminent press conferences.

Please check Thursday's edition of The Tuscaloosa News for the latest on the coaching search from Cecil Hurt, and tidesports.com for any updates.

- Christopher Walsh

Permalink: http://tidesportsblog.tuscaloosanews.co ... tem=345933
TrackBack URL: http://blogs.tuscaloosanews.com/utility/tb/?id=345933
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:11 am

The local Tuscaloosa Times has asked the fans who they want as the next coach and the results are interesting - out of 15,200 votes cast so far:

3.2% Greg Schiano
4.1% Jim Grobe
8.1% Jeff Tedford
8.8% Paul Johnson
15.1% Nick Saban
60.7% Steve Spurrier
stomperrob

PreviousNext

Return to College Football