Greatest Play You Have Ever Seen - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Greatest Play You Have Ever Seen

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:51 pm

kid a wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:1999 Wildcard Game between the Bills and the Titans...

16 seconds on the clock... Steve Christie hits a 41-yard field goal to put the Bills up 16-15...

Buffalo lines up to kick-off, the ball pops up high instead of squibbing like you would expect... Blocker Lorenzo Neal catches the ball and pitches it back to Frank Wycheck, the Titans leading receiver... Wycheck fades right with the ball and draws the whole kicking team with him... He stops dead, and throws a backwards pass across the entire width of the field to Kevin Dyson standing on the left sideline.... Dyson, with a wall of blockers, sprints 75 yards up the sideline into the endzone... The play then gets reviewed because the pass back was very close to a forward pass... After several tense moments of review the play is called a touchdown, game over, Titans advance...

The miracle play had been drawn up by the special teams coach before the season...

2 games later the Tennessee Titans are in the Superbowl...

For the record, it was a forward pass, and a horrible call from the refs that cost the Bills their season.

IIRC, the NFL admitted it was an error.

One of my friends is a huge Bills fan. The day after the game he was over at my place and we were playing madden. When I kicked off to him to start the game he asked me what button to press to throw a forward pass on the kickoff. Gave me a good laugh.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thefenix0 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:00 pm

What about Chris McAlister running the attempted field goal back before the half. It was on Monday night and I believe the Raven's were playing the Broncos. Elam attempted a 60+yd. field goal and McAlister caught it in the endzone and acted like he was going to fair catch it(so did the rest of the Raven's), he ended up taking it out of the endzone and sprinted past a stunned Denver team for a TD. Ray Lewis also laid someone out blocking on the return. I think the Ravens ended up losing, but the play was still one of the greatest(and wildest) that I've ever seen.
thefenix0

Friendliness: %

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:03 pm

Here's another great one. Randy Moss' rookie season. Cunningham at QB. Don't remember for the life of me who they were playing, but Moss was already having a great game... Pre-snap, Cunningham looks over to Moss and sees he's in single coverage, their eyes meet, Randy smiles, and Cunningham actually laughs, then hits Moss for another long TD.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby altproject » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:16 pm

i actually witnessed the montana to dwight clark "catch" on TV as a kid. i've always rooted against the niners -- but that was a great play.

not a pro play, but the single greatest football play i ever saw -- and it was in person -- was the Cal Berkely vs. Stanford kickoff return with no seconds on the clock in I think 1982. there were five or six laterals and stanford's band ran on the field early. I think elway was just a freshman at Stanford then. craziest thing you could ever imagine.
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Even though...

Postby blueonion » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:18 pm

Even though I hate Darrell Green (Washington Redskins), his punt return for a touchdown in the 1987 divisional round playoffs was amazing...

Some other details:

Soldier Field
Darrell Green's cracked rib

I think that was a great play athletically, but also a great play on guts alone. Being a critical playoff game on the road made it that much more special. Even as a Redskin & Green hater, I give him big props.

The BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Re: Even though...

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:20 pm

blueonion wrote:Even though I hate Darrell Green (Washington Redskins), his punt return for a touchdown in the 1987 divisional round playoffs was amazing...

Some other details:

Soldier Field
Darrell Green's cracked rib

I think that was a great play athletically, but also a great play on guts alone. Being a critical playoff game on the road made it that much more special. Even as a Redskin & Green hater, I give him big props.

The BlueOnion

One of my personal favorites, as well... Of course I am a huge 'Skins fan, though....
Last edited by Plindsey88 on Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby altproject » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:23 pm

some other good ones i've seen:

(1) marcus allen changing direction in the backfield like 3 or 4 times and going in the wrong direction probably 10 yards before turning up field and scoring on like a 60 yard TD. can't remember who it was against -- i want to say the redskins.

(2) earl campbell rolling over people and getting his jersey ripped off and coming out of the pile with just his shoulder pads on and still carried the ball for another 20 yards. that was in the middle 80s some time.

(3) ironhead heyward putting his head down and crashing into (i want to say) kevin greene on the steelers and splitting his helmet in half then proceeded to run over him stepping on his neck on the way by.

(4) on a similar note: bo jackson running over brian bosworth -- not to mention the other 2 long ass runs for TD he had the game.
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Dude_ffc » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:29 pm

That Young to Owens TD against GB was pretty intense. When I saw this post I immediately thought of Bo Jackson running over a couple would be tacklers and down the sideline for a about an 80 yard TD...I left the Bills v. Titans "miracle" game (on tv) because I thought it was over but listened to it on the radio on my way to the carwash. I was pulling into the carwash just as the play was underway and my reception cut out. After I pulled through the wash they recapped what had happened - great play - marginally a forward pass. The Titans got them back for that whole Frank Reich comeback debacle.
"That rug really tied the room together."
The Dude_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:30 pm

altproject wrote:some other good ones i've seen:

(1) marcus allen changing direction in the backfield like 3 or 4 times and going in the wrong direction probably 10 yards before turning up field and scoring on like a 60 yard TD. can't remember who it was against -- i want to say the redskins.

1984 Superbowl... Raiders v. Washington

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby altproject » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:37 pm

oh.. here's another: tony dorsett's 99 yard TD -- man, i couldn't stand him.
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant